Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30
  1. #1
    baldidiot is online now Private Member
    Join Date
    January 2010
    Posts
    5,098
    Thanks
    433
    Thanked 2,333 Times in 1,555 Posts

    Default Google Announce EMD Algo Change

    Heres some google news that I saw on another forum: http://www.webpronews.com/matt-cutts...change-2012-09

    Key points:

    "Minor weather report: small upcoming Google algo change will reduce low-quality “exact-match” domains in search results."

    "New exact-match domain (EMD) algo affects 0.6% of English-US queries to a noticeable degree. Unrelated to Panda/Penguin."

    (also posted on PAL, but I know some of you only read one or the other)
    onlinegamblingwebsites.com - Formally known as goodbonusguide.

    Gambling Domains: Small clear out of some of the domains we've been hoarding - see the spreadsheet here.

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to baldidiot For This Useful Post:

    GFPC (28 September 2012), lots0 (28 September 2012), Smoking (28 September 2012)

  3. #2
    GFPC is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    April 2008
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    3,520
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    1,150
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 674 Posts

    Default

    I have noticed zero changes as i noted on PAL as well - would be interesting to see what others have noticed. I guess its not a bad thing nothing was moved up or down as far as i can tell. Obviously would of liked an increase - but glad no decreases across a couple of sites.

  4. #3
    lots0 is offline Former Public Member
    Join Date
    November 2003
    Posts
    886
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    299
    Thanked 571 Times in 251 Posts

    Default

    I haven't seen any major changes...yet.

    Most of the time google will implement the changes over the weekend, usually on Sunday.

    So if there are any major changes I would not expect to see them till Monday morning, California time.

  5. #4
    GFPC is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    April 2008
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    3,520
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    1,150
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 674 Posts

    Default

    yeah maybe.. someone on another forum was expressing how the shot up from top 100 - to 1st for a major keyword (which is their EMD site name) so I figured they must of started.

  6. #5
    lots0 is offline Former Public Member
    Join Date
    November 2003
    Posts
    886
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    299
    Thanked 571 Times in 251 Posts

    Default

    Hmmm
    Jummped from 100 to #1
    Don't sound right to me.
    according cutts, the algo change was to reduce the ranking of low quality EMD's.

    I don't see how that would cause a jump in rankings for a EMD.. But you never know. Google has been doing some strange things lately.

    I know of one very very low quality EMD in a nitch I watch. As of three minutes ago it still ranks at #3 for it's EMD, where it has been for a very long time.

  7. #6
    GFPC is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    April 2008
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    3,520
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    1,150
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 674 Posts

    Default

    i dont know.. all i know is I want Google to clean up some of the real bad sites they have listed in top spots. When Panda first hit I LOLed and creid at the same time. I cried cause i lost all my first page serps for about 20-30 exact match keywords and some long tails. Then when Penguin came along it knocked me out cold. It was like a boxing round - each round I lost more pages on my sites in the serps - then Penguin demolished me off. Well it was only one site but still it was a big blow.. Recently I have been watching closely. I mean I do not mind if they do what they did as long as they put better results up. What did they put? Rubbish and garbage. New one page sites were ranking 1,2,3 while sites listed for years gone.

    LOL i dont hold to much hope from them when they make these headlines - well see what happens in a few days. I suspect the same ole **** will be on first page like always.

  8. #7
    baldidiot is online now Private Member
    Join Date
    January 2010
    Posts
    5,098
    Thanks
    433
    Thanked 2,333 Times in 1,555 Posts

    Default

    I'm actually seeing quite a few changes - one of my larger and newer sites got hit for its EM and related terms.

    Hoping this adjusts over the next few days...
    onlinegamblingwebsites.com - Formally known as goodbonusguide.

    Gambling Domains: Small clear out of some of the domains we've been hoarding - see the spreadsheet here.

  9. #8
    bboyspyder's Avatar
    bboyspyder is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2012
    Posts
    224
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 48 Times in 32 Posts

    Default

    I have not noticed any changes so far.

    And usually when Matt Cuts writes about something it is already done and implanted so I also do not expect big changes.
    Best backgammon sites at OnlineBackgammon.Org.Uk

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to bboyspyder For This Useful Post:

    Smoking (29 September 2012)

  11. #9
    Pmig is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    August 2012
    Posts
    189
    Thanks
    48
    Thanked 78 Times in 55 Posts

    Default

    A change on the algo won't be noticed before 3/4 weeks (at least), specially on casino/gambling related query's as this query's have slow re-freshness.

  12. #10
    lots0 is offline Former Public Member
    Join Date
    November 2003
    Posts
    886
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    299
    Thanked 571 Times in 251 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GFPC View Post
    i dont know.. all i know is I want Google to clean up some of the real bad sites they have listed in top spots. When Panda first hit I LOLed and creid at the same time. I cried cause i lost all my first page serps for about 20-30 exact match keywords and some long tails. Then when Penguin came along it knocked me out cold. It was like a boxing round - each round I lost more pages on my sites in the serps - then Penguin demolished me off. Well it was only one site but still it was a big blow.. Recently I have been watching closely. I mean I do not mind if they do what they did as long as they put better results up. What did they put? Rubbish and garbage. New one page sites were ranking 1,2,3 while sites listed for years gone.

    LOL i dont hold to much hope from them when they make these headlines - well see what happens in a few days. I suspect the same ole **** will be on first page like always.
    I know your pain and I agree. The Google SERP sucks bad.
    I have said several times, that getting knocked off the first page is just part of the business, but when you get replaced by such crap sites it really blows.

    Quote Originally Posted by bboyspyder
    I have not noticed any changes so far.

    And usually when Matt Cuts writes about something it is already done and implanted so I also do not expect big changes.
    The exact wording of Cutts tweet, "...small upcoming Google algo change will reduce low-quality “exact-match” domains in search results.",
    leads me to believe the algo change has not yet been implemented as of the 29th, the date of Cutts tweet.


    Quote Originally Posted by baldidiot
    I'm actually seeing quite a few changes - one of my larger and newer sites got hit for its EM and related terms.

    Hoping this adjusts over the next few days...
    Are you looking at the UK SERP or the US SERP?

    In the US SERP that I watch, I still don't see any major changes as of yet.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pmig
    A change on the algo won't be noticed before 3/4 weeks (at least), specially on casino/gambling related query's as this query's have slow re-freshness.
    I don't believe that is correct. I have been seeing the algo changes hit the SERP almost instantly for a very long time now. Pre 2005 the google SERP changes could take a while to propagate, but now the algo updates show in the SERP perdy much immediately after the change is implemented.

  13. #11
    Smoking's Avatar
    Smoking is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    January 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    720
    Thanks
    355
    Thanked 157 Times in 136 Posts

    Default

    I have read and seen some of the huge changes for a few none gaming niches mostly affecting “exact-match” and not “exactmatch”.

    Guess we will have to wait out till the update is done to assess the real deal !


    Bet Source for Casino Affiliates
    Visit BubbleProtection.com Now
    Post a quality gambling related article in http://www.gamblingshares.com the up and coming Premier Gambling Article Site

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Smoking For This Useful Post:

    lots0 (30 September 2012)

  15. #12
    baldidiot is online now Private Member
    Join Date
    January 2010
    Posts
    5,098
    Thanks
    433
    Thanked 2,333 Times in 1,555 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lots0 View Post
    Are you looking at the UK SERP or the US SERP?
    UK serps - changes seemed to happen overnight, hoping it's not finished rolling out yet. I guess it could be unrelated, but it was a bunch of EM sites that all got hit at the same time (one of which I'd just bought from someone and hadn't even touched yet) but I'd be very surprised if it wasn't to do with the algo change. There are also reports on various webmaster forums of drops happening.

    Also whenever Matt says 'upcoming' I've found he generally means 'we're doing it now'...
    onlinegamblingwebsites.com - Formally known as goodbonusguide.

    Gambling Domains: Small clear out of some of the domains we've been hoarding - see the spreadsheet here.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to baldidiot For This Useful Post:

    lots0 (29 September 2012)

  17. #13
    Smoking's Avatar
    Smoking is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    January 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    720
    Thanks
    355
    Thanked 157 Times in 136 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by baldidiot View Post
    Also whenever Matt says 'upcoming' I've found he generally means 'we're doing it now'...

    and usually they do it on a Friday nite !


    Bet Source for Casino Affiliates
    Visit BubbleProtection.com Now
    Post a quality gambling related article in http://www.gamblingshares.com the up and coming Premier Gambling Article Site

  18. #14
    lots0 is offline Former Public Member
    Join Date
    November 2003
    Posts
    886
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    299
    Thanked 571 Times in 251 Posts

    Default

    With Cutts saying this EMD algo change will only effect .6% of English US SERP... I am hoping that we won't see any major changes.

    But like I said, google has been doing some very strange stuff lately... Not to mention that it seems like google's algo changes(Panda/Penguin) have had a LOT of unintended consequences in the SERP. So you just never ******* know what they are going to do.
    Last edited by lots0; 29 September 2012 at 11:18 am.

  19. #15
    lots0 is offline Former Public Member
    Join Date
    November 2003
    Posts
    886
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    299
    Thanked 571 Times in 251 Posts

    Default

    LOL OK I did just see some changes with an EMD.

    [casino white list]

    then take a look at casinowhitelist.us, it is a one page word press blog. Not a "quality" site by any stretch of the imagination.

    It just jumped from nowhere to #4 for it's EMD in the US SERP.

    Looks like google has screwed up again...

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to lots0 For This Useful Post:

    Smoking (29 September 2012)

  21. #16
    lots0 is offline Former Public Member
    Join Date
    November 2003
    Posts
    886
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    299
    Thanked 571 Times in 251 Posts

    Default

    OK here is another example for US SERP.

    [how to gamble online]

    Take a look at the first page of that serp.

    I can see at least two EMD sites, that are nothing more than one page word press blogs.

    I guess google is giving all their EMD love to one page wordpress blogs... This truly sucks.
    They are not improving the SERP, they are killing it. I guess they are too busy building G+ and android phones to worry about the SERP.

  22. #17
    Smoking's Avatar
    Smoking is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    January 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    720
    Thanks
    355
    Thanked 157 Times in 136 Posts

    Default

    lots0 those EMDs are not “exact-match” they are “exactmatch” maybe that makes a difference with a hyphen?

    if this is true across the board then hyphens are the killers


    Bet Source for Casino Affiliates
    Visit BubbleProtection.com Now
    Post a quality gambling related article in http://www.gamblingshares.com the up and coming Premier Gambling Article Site

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to Smoking For This Useful Post:

    lots0 (29 September 2012)

  24. #18
    universal4's Avatar
    universal4 is offline Forum Administrator
    Join Date
    July 2003
    Location
    Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. John Wayne
    Posts
    33,996
    Thanks
    4,544
    Thanked 9,298 Times in 5,982 Posts

    Default

    I tried your examples, and I did see a few on the white list one but not on the second one.

    Your results could be different or it is starting to adjust more...

    The next few days will likely determine whether this update is a good one or not...

    Rick
    Universal4
    Gambling World Online Roulette Online Blackjack Live Online Games Sports Betting Horse Racing
    Casino Affiliate Programs
    Hosting and Domain Names
    Gambling Industry Association
    GPWA Moderation by Me and My Big Bad Security Self
    If an affiliate program is not small affiliate friendly (especially small US Affiliate), then they are NOT Affiliate Friendly!

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to universal4 For This Useful Post:

    lots0 (29 September 2012)

  26. #19
    grem's Avatar
    grem is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    July 2010
    Location
    CBN
    Posts
    1,450
    Blog Entries
    19
    Thanks
    253
    Thanked 389 Times in 204 Posts

    Default

    If your site regularly posts news then this shouldn't be much of a problem. This is most likely attacking sites that are EMD and either single pages or small number of pages that never get updated or have new content created.

  27. #20
    lots0 is offline Former Public Member
    Join Date
    November 2003
    Posts
    886
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    299
    Thanked 571 Times in 251 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smoking View Post
    lots0 those EMDs are not “exact-match” they are “exactmatch” maybe that makes a difference with a hyphen?

    if this is true across the board then hyphens are the killers
    I really don't know. Cutts did say "exact-match", but he is a sneaky little ****... I guess all that sneakiness comes from working for the National Security Agency(NSA) before he started at google.

    I tried your examples, and I did see a few on the white list one but not on the second one.

    Your results could be different or it is starting to adjust more...

    The next few days will likely determine whether this update is a good one or not...
    When I went back to check [how to gamble online] I didn't see the sites that I was talking about.. so the SERP is jumping.
    And I think you may be right about having to wait a couple of days for things to settle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •