Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: .EU Domains

  1. #1
    baldidiot is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    January 2010
    Posts
    5,098
    Thanks
    433
    Thanked 2,333 Times in 1,555 Posts

    Default .EU Domains

    Anyone have any experience with .eu domains? I've never used one before, but have spotted something tasty that's available and am considering having a punt. You don't see too many of the in the serps for affiliate sites, although it looks like a bunch of operators use them...

    My main question would be how it's seen by google - is it a group ccTLD for europe (ie: so google would realise you're targeting europe and weight it the same for any euro country) or does it just treat it as a generic?

    I'd also be interested to know how the CTR compares if anyone has any input on that!
    onlinegamblingwebsites.com - Formally known as goodbonusguide.

    Gambling Domains: Small clear out of some of the domains we've been hoarding - see the spreadsheet here.

  2. #2
    GCG
    GCG is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    February 2009
    Location
    Not here
    Posts
    1,293
    Thanks
    306
    Thanked 777 Times in 430 Posts

    Default

    I have the domain www.online-casinos.eu but never found time to develop it. Regarding SEO it is what you want to invest to make it rank. CTR wise I guess it is a trusted tld.

  3. #3
    chaumi is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    October 2013
    Location
    East Midlands
    Posts
    1,640
    Thanks
    570
    Thanked 840 Times in 617 Posts

    Default

    Can't see any reason why Google wouldn't be looking on this as a general European wide CCtld...but suspect the real crux of this is in how many you actually see in the SERPs (as you noted..virtually none)...which implies no one (especially on the affiliate side) has developed.

    If you took it, developed it well, got links etc...then no obvious reason why it shouldn't be able to rank...but seems you would be one of a small minority finding out.

    To me, that would suggest probably leaving it alone if there are other options. Takes too much concerted effort to build a site, why take the chance (unless it's a top tier domain)

  4. #4
    baldidiot is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    January 2010
    Posts
    5,098
    Thanks
    433
    Thanked 2,333 Times in 1,555 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GCG View Post
    Regarding SEO it is what you want to invest to make it rank.
    I meant more in terms of country targeting - so does google view it as targeting all of europe, a generic (ie: all of world) or some other kind of more restrictive category (eg: just continental europe, just central europe etc..)

    The answer to this would have a huge impact on how it'd rank in each country (for example, it's difficult to get a .co.uk to rank outside of the UK - so if google see's a .eu as a continental europe domain it may not rank well in the UK etc..)


    Quote Originally Posted by chaumi View Post
    Can't see any reason why Google wouldn't be looking on this as a general European wide CCtld...
    That's what I would think, but I've read multiple things from different sources that all contradict each other , so haven't really been able to get a definitive answer (although there's a decent argument about it being a generic due to the definition issue mentioned above). Figured I'd ask here in case anyone had experience of how it ranked in various countries.

    It's a fairly decent domain so I'll probably have a bash with it, I'm just trying to figure out who it should be targeted at...
    onlinegamblingwebsites.com - Formally known as goodbonusguide.

    Gambling Domains: Small clear out of some of the domains we've been hoarding - see the spreadsheet here.

  5. #5
    TheGooner's Avatar
    TheGooner is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    4,565
    Thanks
    2,092
    Thanked 4,537 Times in 2,177 Posts

    Default

    I think that you're asking if the .eu suffix will have an advantage throughout mainland europe vs a .com or .co.uk ?
    I doubt it. If it did you would be seeing a lot more serps domination in the results.

    I think that specific country domains do manage to do well for that country (eg .de for German, .se for Sweden etc) IF they are the correct language, and have localised content that marks them clearly as actually catering for that country.

    But taking .eu and aiming for a pan-European bonus is just being hopeful, just as .com .org .net and .edu don't really get worldwide bonuses.

    I'd expect a .eu to work much like a .tv .cc .me - a neat little suffix but I don't think it has a serp boost in a region.

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheGooner For This Useful Post:

    kazinoportal (24 April 2014), sweetbet (20 April 2014)

  7. #6
    baldidiot is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    January 2010
    Posts
    5,098
    Thanks
    433
    Thanked 2,333 Times in 1,555 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGooner View Post
    I think that you're asking if the .eu suffix will have an advantage throughout mainland europe vs a .com or .co.uk ?
    I doubt it. If it did you would be seeing a lot more serps domination in the results.
    Kind of... although actually for me it's more of a case of trying to figure out if there are any negatives to the domain rather than boosts. TBH, I'd prefer it to just be treated as a generic, rather than trying to figure out what google views as the primary target countries.
    onlinegamblingwebsites.com - Formally known as goodbonusguide.

    Gambling Domains: Small clear out of some of the domains we've been hoarding - see the spreadsheet here.

  8. #7
    Jokerman99 is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    384
    Thanks
    81
    Thanked 247 Times in 145 Posts

    Default

    I'd rate it the same as the likes of .me, .biz etc. Wouldn't value it at all.

  9. #8
    thebookiesoffers is offline Former Member
    Join Date
    November 2009
    Location
    Leicester, UK
    Posts
    3,225
    Thanks
    412
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 1,009 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by baldidiot View Post
    Anyone have any experience with .eu domains? I've never used one before, but have spotted something tasty that's available and am considering having a punt. You don't see too many of the in the serps for affiliate sites, although it looks like a bunch of operators use them...

    My main question would be how it's seen by google - is it a group ccTLD for europe (ie: so google would realise you're targeting europe and weight it the same for any euro country) or does it just treat it as a generic?

    I'd also be interested to know how the CTR compares if anyone has any input on that!
    buy it mate, too pissed to read the question properly but get it

    seen some rank before, do things right and it will rank

  10. #9
    sweetbet's Avatar
    sweetbet is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    November 2012
    Posts
    2,824
    Blog Entries
    5
    Thanks
    898
    Thanked 1,574 Times in 1,086 Posts

    Default

    I don't see many .eu domains ranking in the serps. I would stick to .com .net amd .org personally.

  11. #10
    baldidiot is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    January 2010
    Posts
    5,098
    Thanks
    433
    Thanked 2,333 Times in 1,555 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thebookiesoffers View Post
    buy it mate, too pissed to read the question properly but get it
    Ha ha, nice.


    Quote Originally Posted by sweetbet View Post
    I don't see many .eu domains ranking in the serps. I would stick to .com .net amd .org personally.
    If I could get this domain in a .com, I'd be a very happy man!
    onlinegamblingwebsites.com - Formally known as goodbonusguide.

    Gambling Domains: Small clear out of some of the domains we've been hoarding - see the spreadsheet here.

  12. #11
    alin04 is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    January 2013
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    518
    Thanks
    420
    Thanked 209 Times in 127 Posts

    Default

    Baldidiot , next month I will start a new site with .eu
    You are not alone.)

  13. #12
    Scampi's Avatar
    Scampi is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    August 2013
    Posts
    855
    Thanks
    371
    Thanked 304 Times in 180 Posts

    Default

    Just had an email from Godaddy saying slotmachines.eu was available. Shot over there to get it, but had gone

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •