Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    baldidiot is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    January 2010
    Posts
    5,098
    Thanks
    433
    Thanked 2,333 Times in 1,555 Posts

    Default Geotargetting text links

    For a while now I've wanted to do a world wide casino/poker guide that would get affiliate commissions from hotel sales etc.. but a major problem is that each hotel site seems to only track to a single country (eg: uk, us). So I would either have to pick a country and sacrifice revenues from all other countries, or geotarget the links.

    The way I see it there are two ways of doing this:

    1. Geotarget the page to show different links. So if a user from australia goes on the site, they see a link for an australian hotel site. The benefit of this is that I could also geotarget other aspects of the page such as price/currency and so on.

    2. Geotarget the link after the user clicks on it. So the link would always be: example.com/jump-to-hotel-deep-link which would then redirect according to the users location. So the australian user would get redirected to the australian hotel site, and so on.

    Does anyone have any opinions as to which is a better way of doing it?
    onlinegamblingwebsites.com - Formally known as goodbonusguide.

    Gambling Domains: Small clear out of some of the domains we've been hoarding - see the spreadsheet here.

  2. #2
    DaveL's Avatar
    DaveL is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    February 2011
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    69
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 23 Times in 15 Posts

    Default

    I think if you can can Geotarget the page, that's your most user-friendly. It doesn't have to be the whole page, you can geo-target portions of the page using something like OpenX. I've used it in the past with great success - you can set up custom HTML in it. I've published large sections using that on old sites.

  3. #3
    baldidiot is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    January 2010
    Posts
    5,098
    Thanks
    433
    Thanked 2,333 Times in 1,555 Posts

    Default

    Thanks!

    Would you recommend hosting openx yourself or have them host it?
    onlinegamblingwebsites.com - Formally known as goodbonusguide.

    Gambling Domains: Small clear out of some of the domains we've been hoarding - see the spreadsheet here.

  4. #4
    DaveL's Avatar
    DaveL is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    February 2011
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    69
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 23 Times in 15 Posts

    Default

    I used to host a few instances of it myself - the updates can be a bit torturous. I stopped using it as I choose a simpler non-rotational / non geo-targetting solution to make my life easier. OpenX is very complicated, but also very sophisticated if you're prepared to give it a lot of time. Don't know what their costs are like for them hosting it though, but it may be a much easier way of managing it provided you get the same feature-set as you would if you hosted it yourself and used the full product.

  5. #5
    rak's Avatar
    rak
    rak is offline Former AM
    Join Date
    January 2011
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    1,123
    Thanks
    250
    Thanked 334 Times in 258 Posts

    Default

    I havent used OpenX. But I did use MaxMind open source country geo targeting database, and some code I wrote.

    I didnt geo target the whole page, because it could come across as blackhat if your content changes depending on the country hitting the page. But I did geo target advertising elements of the page where text links and banners were placed.

    My methodology was.

    grab the users IP
    Check it against the database for the country
    get advertisements for that country
    pass those advertisement as variable down through the page

    Its really very simple.

    I can show you how to do it if you want.
    Also here is the maxmind database I used : http://www.maxmind.com/app/geolitecountry

  6. #6
    baldidiot is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    January 2010
    Posts
    5,098
    Thanks
    433
    Thanked 2,333 Times in 1,555 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveL View Post
    Don't know what their costs are like for them hosting it though, but it may be a much easier way of managing it provided you get the same feature-set as you would if you hosted it yourself and used the full product.
    I think it's free for less than 100 million impressions.

    Quote Originally Posted by rak View Post
    I havent used OpenX. But I did use MaxMind open source country geo targeting database, and some code I wrote.

    I didnt geo target the whole page, because it could come across as blackhat if your content changes depending on the country hitting the page. But I did geo target advertising elements of the page where text links and banners were placed.

    My methodology was.

    grab the users IP
    Check it against the database for the country
    get advertisements for that country
    pass those advertisement as variable down through the page

    Its really very simple.

    I can show you how to do it if you want.
    Also here is the maxmind database I used : http://www.maxmind.com/app/geolitecountry
    I've used maxmind as part of a plug in for geotargetting adverts, but never from scratch. Is it just a case of looking up the IP in the DB?
    onlinegamblingwebsites.com - Formally known as goodbonusguide.

    Gambling Domains: Small clear out of some of the domains we've been hoarding - see the spreadsheet here.

  7. #7
    rak's Avatar
    rak
    rak is offline Former AM
    Join Date
    January 2011
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    1,123
    Thanks
    250
    Thanked 334 Times in 258 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by baldidiot View Post
    I've used maxmind as part of a plug in for geotargetting adverts, but never from scratch. Is it just a case of looking up the IP in the DB?

    Yes and no.


    Heres the code to convert the IP to what maxmind needs ($pnum) which you then query the database


    function VisitorIP() {
    if(isset($_SERVER['HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR']))
    $TheIp=$_SERVER['HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR'];
    else $TheIp=$_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'];

    return trim($TheIp);
    }

    $ipaddress = VisitorIP();
    list($w, $x, $y, $z) = explode(".", $ipaddress);
    $pnum = (16777216 * $w) + (65536 * $x) + (256 * $y) + $z;


    //query to get the IP from the database - using pnum from above, you have to find it between a range.

    SELECT isocountry
    FROM geo_blocks
    WHERE
    $pnum >= ip_start_num
    AND $pnum <= ip_end_num
    LIMIT 1

  8. #8
    baldidiot is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    January 2010
    Posts
    5,098
    Thanks
    433
    Thanked 2,333 Times in 1,555 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rak View Post
    Yes and no.


    Heres the code to convert the IP to what maxmind needs ($pnum) which you then query the database


    function VisitorIP() {
    if(isset($_SERVER['HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR']))
    $TheIp=$_SERVER['HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR'];
    else $TheIp=$_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'];

    return trim($TheIp);
    }

    $ipaddress = VisitorIP();
    list($w, $x, $y, $z) = explode(".", $ipaddress);
    $pnum = (16777216 * $w) + (65536 * $x) + (256 * $y) + $z;


    //query to get the IP from the database - using pnum from above, you have to find it between a range.

    SELECT isocountry
    FROM geo_blocks
    WHERE
    $pnum >= ip_start_num
    AND $pnum <= ip_end_num
    LIMIT 1
    You're a star, thanks mate!
    onlinegamblingwebsites.com - Formally known as goodbonusguide.

    Gambling Domains: Small clear out of some of the domains we've been hoarding - see the spreadsheet here.

  9. #9
    rak's Avatar
    rak
    rak is offline Former AM
    Join Date
    January 2011
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    1,123
    Thanks
    250
    Thanked 334 Times in 258 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by baldidiot View Post
    You're a star, thanks mate!
    Anytime! If you get stuck with anything, lmk. I'll sort it!

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to rak For This Useful Post:

    baldidiot (30 August 2011)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •