View Poll Results: When do you first expect to fly on a plane in 2021?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • I already have in January to April 2021.

    5 21.74%
  • May 2021

    3 13.04%
  • June 2021

    1 4.35%
  • July 2021

    1 4.35%
  • August 2021

    3 13.04%
  • September 2021

    0 0%
  • October 2021

    0 0%
  • November 2021

    1 4.35%
  • December 2021

    0 0%
  • I don't expect to fly on a plane in 2021

    9 39.13%
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    MichaelCorfman's Avatar
    MichaelCorfman is offline GPWA Executive Director
    Join Date
    June 2004
    Location
    Newton, MA
    Posts
    4,702
    Thanks
    1,089
    Thanked 6,365 Times in 2,041 Posts

    Question When do you first expect to fly on a plane in 2021?

    Earlier today GPWA member allaboutthebets made the following post about receiving his GPWA Times Magazine in the mail:

    Quote Originally Posted by allaboutthebets View Post
    They have landed. Now if only we were allowed to go on holiday to read them by a pool......
    Now, I thought about suggesting that if he simply put a wading pool of some sort in his backyard, then he could easily take a short holiday to his backyard and read the magazines by the pool.

    But, then I thought more seriously about when will folks actually resume taking holidays again like they used to, and when will air travel return to "normal." That lead to some research about how much air travel has declined. I did find a good resource with that information in the US. The TSA (transportation security agency) that processes passengers through airport security checkpoints publishes daily data showing daily traveler throughput here: TSA checkpoint travel numbers (current versus prior years for the same weekday).

    That site shows that for the first day in May this year (May 3rd) the traveler throughput was 1,623,672 travelers. That was down 40.8% from the 2,470,969 travelers on the same day in 2019, a substantial improvement from 2020 when there were 108,310 travelers, down 93.4% from 2019. To be honest, the travel levels this year show more improvement than I had expected.

    For today's poll I ask when you anticipate you will fly on a plane again. Besides voting in the poll, be sure to share your thoughts about traveling once again. Personally, I'm anticipating flying on a plane again sometime over the summer. I have a new grandchild, born early this year, living in the Seattle area, just over 3,000 miles away from the Boston area where I live. The combination of being vaccinated, so that I view it is both safe for me to fly and safe for them to be visited by me, has me really looking forward to taking a holiday in the Northwest.

    Michael
    GPWA Executive Director, Casino City CEO, Friend to the Village Idiot
    Resources for Affiliates: iGamingDirectory.com, iGamingAffiliatePrograms.com, GamingMeets.com

  2. #2
    rmeeuwsen's Avatar
    rmeeuwsen is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Wisconsin US
    Posts
    354
    Blog Entries
    10
    Thanks
    263
    Thanked 118 Times in 94 Posts

    Default

    I just flew back yesterday from Idaho after a 1 month trip.

    Last Sept, they still had open middle seats and the ride was pleasant.
    In April they started cramming people back together.

    Yesterday I had 2 layovers. In the back of the plane, people were crammed together like sardines.
    Luckily I had a comfort+ seat on at least one flight.
    None of my flights were canceled or delayed, but my checked bag didn't make a connection.

    SO, back to normal in the US - except for masks everywhere.

  3. #3
    PROFRBcom's Avatar
    PROFRBcom is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    April 2013
    Posts
    2,173
    Thanks
    1,511
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 808 Posts

    Default

    As soon as I buy one and do not have to comply with the rules being force-fed to the peasants.

  4. #4
    Sherlock's Avatar
    Sherlock is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    December 2013
    Location
    WC
    Posts
    4,959
    Thanks
    1,413
    Thanked 3,816 Times in 2,157 Posts

    Default

    I was flying in Mar (Friday 13th), Sept, Oct, Nov, Dec 20, Jan and Mar 21. Even transatlatic. It is possible. Domestic flights more full than normally. Long haul do not bother to buy business or higher class, mine were empty.

    The flights however are far from normal. Sane people will avoid this for vacation. Stress is incredible. The paperwork needed is just rising, last time i needed 8 papers. Nobody can give 100% accurate info. Even at the airport the crew is usually not well informed. I had to use all soft skills, doctor some documents, after the original ones that were supposed to be ok, were not ok for the health-nazi 20years old medical-student-b1tch who was backed by a handsome soldier with a machine gun "this is not correct sire and actually I do not care what you were said by someone on helpline". Once I waited 8 days until PCR test was possible in a city where I definitely did not want to be.

    So my advice is to avoid international flights if you can. In fact that is their goal and it works flawlessly. Who needs to fly - he probably can, but substract 5 years of your life for each leg.

    Flying will never get to the norm. Am I insane to think that after 9/11 it never returned to the norm? Like throwing away my water and miniscrewdriver for mobile phone? Is normal that some woman needs to steal my 3x4 cm pebblestone at securitycheck? Is normal that there are dogs in Amsterdam that are trained to sniff cash? Is normal that my checked baggage was opened, everything fragile like marmelade was unsealed, then it was thrown inside, so I had to wear my underwear with a mix of strawberries and apricots? Is normal that I am always in stress whether I can taky my walking sticks to the handbaggage etc?

    Ok, I am insane so yes, things are going to be normal soon, in the same direction as they were until now. So prepare for the rectal PCR tests or that some random strangers will have access to your medical records. Prepare for denied boardings. Prepare for limited use of toilets. Prepare not just for wearing facemasks, but for wearing respirators. Prepare that if your nose will not be 100% covered you will get the last warning from friendly steward. Prepare for invitation on plane - no s*** I heard that - "whoever will not comply with rules will be reported and police will be waiting at final destination". Forget that you maybe need to breathe during 14 hours flight in the respirator with valve - denied. Prepare on short haul flights that you can not get/buy even a glass of water to water your dry throat. Etc, etc, etc.
    If you talk to God, you are praying; If God talks to you, you have schizophrenia.

  5. #5
    casinology is offline New Member
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    In June to Montenegro. So i'll be very glad to see someone from GPWA forum there

  6. #6
    Nocturnalant is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    37
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 13 Times in 9 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by casinology View Post
    In June to Montenegro. So i'll be very glad to see someone from GPWA forum there
    Just returned from there a week ago )

  7. #7
    Cash Bonus's Avatar
    Cash Bonus is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,450
    Thanks
    9,149
    Thanked 3,005 Times in 2,217 Posts

    Default

    I don't expect to fly anywhere this year. There's too much risk with covid, and I have no intention to get vaccinated anytime soon. After reading all the worrying stories about the possible side effects involved, there's no chance. It's ravaging the world. The virus keeps mutating in order to stay alive and that alone is a frightening thought.
    Last edited by Cash Bonus; 11 May 2021 at 5:25 am.

  8. #8
    Dsquared's Avatar
    Dsquared is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    April 2021
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    172
    Thanks
    97
    Thanked 47 Times in 46 Posts

    Default

    Hopefully by end of summer... I'm turning 40 and getting away for it..probably start with a short trip tho.. would be nice. Let's see!

  9. #9
    Alex_Popov's Avatar
    Alex_Popov is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    April 2021
    Posts
    13
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    "possible side effects involved" this is like gambling in casino) those who risk, those flies... or dies

  10. #10
    Juan Roman's Avatar
    Juan Roman is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    January 2013
    Posts
    582
    Thanks
    183
    Thanked 263 Times in 184 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nocturnalant View Post
    Just returned from there a week ago )
    I’m returning tomorrow

    A very relaxing 7 days in Montenegro. A 40-minute flight also helps.

    I will also be flying to AGS Dubai at the end of May and probably two more business trips this summer.

    Guess things are slowly returning to normal and I’ve got no problems resuming the regular travel activities.

  11. #11
    Notorious CDG's Avatar
    Notorious CDG is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    November 2017
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    100% on a plane this year

  12. #12
    gil.langelaan's Avatar
    gil.langelaan is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    July 2018
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Posts
    966
    Thanks
    110
    Thanked 308 Times in 244 Posts

    Default

    I am planning to go to Albania this summer but don't know when exactly. I think it will be August.

  13. #13
    DarkHorse-SB is offline Non-sponsor Affiliate Program
    Join Date
    March 2021
    Location
    Costa Rica
    Posts
    39
    Thanks
    88
    Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts

    Default

    I don't think I will be traveling this year, things are just way to crazy everywhere... will wait till the dust settles...

  14. #14
    Nenad is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    June 2019
    Posts
    546
    Thanks
    311
    Thanked 155 Times in 128 Posts

    Default

    Unfortunately, I will not get on a plane this year

  15. #15
    Sashapet's Avatar
    Sashapet is offline Brand New Member
    Join Date
    March 2021
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I will fly on May 31, though within my own country.

  16. #16
    SergeK is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    December 2021
    Posts
    21
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I want to celebrate 20 years of friendship with my friend from Israel, next year I plan to fly on an airplane for the first time in it) I am very worried))

  17. #17
    Pokerface's Avatar
    Pokerface is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    August 2016
    Posts
    3,163
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    689
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 747 Posts

    Default

    Was hoping to be flying this month but that didn't happen. Was then hoping for January then London in February ... that's not happening. If lucky maybe by the end of the year but not very hopeful at the moment.
    nousviz.com

    What's Nous?

    StatsDrone now offers Freemium plan to connect up to 30 programs - FREE!.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •