Will quantum computing disrupt current public key encryption systems by 2030?
From time to time I have wondered whether quantum computers will be created that will break current encryption systems ever, or anytime soon. Most recently, with the current crash of bitcoin to below USD $4,000, I've noticed some renewed activity in a poll I started a year and a half ago here: What are the odds bitcoins will be worth nothing in 2030?.
In that post I raised the quantum computing question as follows:
Quote:
Originally Posted by
MichaelCorfman
I, for one, have wondered about the future of public key encryption systems, which play a central role in modern security, and in bitcoins and every other cryptocurrency. What happens, for example, if quantum computers become reality, and if they really can easily solve the the integer factorization problem whose current difficulty of solution is the foundation of bitcoin?
I decided to research the quantum computing question a little more. In the process I found an interesting article on the topic:
Quantum Computing and Cryptography.
So, for this week's poll I ask what you think is the liklihood that quantum computing will disrupt current public key encryption systems by the year 2030?
Besides voting in the poll, share your longer-terms view about whether quantum computing will eventually disrupt current encryption systems, and whether cryptographic technology will evolve in a way that successfully counters any inroads by through quantum computing.
Michael