RacingJim is offline Public Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,362 Times in 841 Posts

Default Affiliate programs that pass on the full bonus to the affiliate

Is it fair that some affiliate programs pass on the full bonus onto the affiliate? I've noticed Totesport and Betfred do this in particular.

Surely as an affiliate we should be taking the appropriate percentage level of bonus 'hit' i.e. if we're on 40% rev share then we should take 40% share of the bonus offer along with the bookie?

I noticed at Totesport I got a 25 depositing player and got whacked straight away for the 25 bonus onto my account, I have a feeling this isn't the same at every bookie.

It's not fair that affiliates should take the full whack like this in my opinion. As an affiliate, we brought the customer but only get 30-40% of the customer revenue, but have to suck up the full bonus, so in the example of the 25 guy, I'm on 40% I think at Tote, he's going to have to deposit and lose 65-ish before I break even on his bonus payment. Easier said than done at a low-retaining bookie like Totesport, especially over a number of signups per month.

I know many other companies hide this info so it's not clear what bonus 'hit' the affiliate is taking at each brand, but it's clear this is not universal across the board and is something to bear in mind when choosing companies to promote as your best brands.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to RacingJim For This Useful Post:

-Shay- (12 December 2014)

golfbettingsystem is offline Public Member
    Thanks

As the bonus is in the form of a free bet, if the free bet loses does the 25 get reversed or are you just getting rev share on the 'revenue' from the free bet? If the latter then paying 25 for the punter's bonus but only getting 10 or whatever back when it loses seems a bit naughty to me.

TheGooner is online now Private Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,221 Times in 2,009 Posts

Depending on how the bonus figure is applied - seeing the full amount in the bonus column is correct.
    From What I can see at ActiveWins (BetFred) the calculation is Gross Revenue - Bonus (and chargebacks if any) = Net Revenue.

Taking your 25 as an example :
    - Punter deposits
    25 and gets a 25 bonus and loses it all.
    - Gross revenue is
    - Bonus payments are
    - Net Revenue is
    25 and this then has the affiliate percentage applied to it. At 40% you make a tenner.

This seems the correct way to calculate the bonus IMO - the full amount comes off the gross - and the affiliate percentage applies to the net.

RacingJim is offline Public Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,362 Times in 841 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheGooner View Post
    Depending on how the bonus figure is applied - seeing the full amount in the bonus column is correct.
    From What I can see at ActiveWins (BetFred) the calculation is Gross Revenue - Bonus (and chargebacks if any) = Net Revenue.

Taking your 25 as an example :
    - Punter deposits
    25 and gets a 25 bonus and loses it all.
    - Gross revenue is
    - Bonus payments are
    - Net Revenue is
    25 and this then has the affiliate percentage applied to it. At 40% you make a tenner.

This seems the correct way to calculate the bonus IMO - the full amount comes off the gross - and the affiliate percentage applies to the net.
    I think you're spot on, i was being thick. I was trying to figure out why I make lots less at Betfred/Totesport on better signup numbers than at other operators and thought it might be the bonus, but you're right mate.

Guess it must be something else, generally lower retention and earnings due to customer type maybe, though I know there are a few on here who have their suspicions about these programs anyway.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RacingJim For This Useful Post:

TheGooner (12 December 2014)

TheGooner is online now Private Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,221 Times in 2,009 Posts

I know what you mean RacingJim.

I see a lot of "bonus deductions" at ActiveWins that do not seem to be new player deposits - in fact I can't work out WTF they are at all! They are not a percentage of deposits or a turnover / licensing charge or anything like that - but they seem to occur every day.

This month each day has ranged from somewhere between 0.09 (9p) to 204.73 in daily deductions off the gross and they do add up to a significant deduction by month end - as little as 6% and as much as 20% off the gross in some months.

I'm still battling a weird drop off in clicks at ActiveWins - we give them around 2000 impressions a day for an average of just 1 click per day. We used to get 20-30 clicks per day in the old system and much better registration rates.

Some of that drop has been caused by our actions as we now Geo-target only UK / Irish players to Betfred after their redirection debacle for foreign players - and have reduced the BetFred exposure to a fraction of previous UK impressions when we might do 8,000 per day. But I'd still be expecting 10 or so clicks per day.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheGooner For This Useful Post:

-Shay- (12 December 2014), RacingJim (22 December 2014)

Cherelle ActiveWins is offline Sponsor Affiliate Program
    Thanks

Hi RacingJim,</SPAN></SPAN>

TheGooner is correct, player bonuses are deducted from overall GGR. If for any reason the bonus is not redeemed it would be credited back to your account.

In regards to clicks, if you have noticed lower click rates since the transition from the old Betfred system to the ActiveWins system, please ensure you have updated your tracking links. If there are specific players you are concerned about, please inbox me with your Affiliate ID so we can investigate further.</SPAN></SPAN>

TheGooner, your dedicated affiliate manager is always on hand to help you with such queries surrounding deductions. We</SPAN> aim to be as transparent as possible, so I will have him reach out to you to clarify further.</SPAN>

If you need any other help, feel free to inbox me or email your account manager at hi[@]activewins[dot]com.</SPAN></SPAN>

Cherelle</SPAN></SPAN>