Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    dannyx is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    November 2019
    Posts
    735
    Thanks
    143
    Thanked 186 Times in 148 Posts

    Default Direct traffic from domains

    I once tried something like this, but without success.
    Do any of you obtain traffic this way?

    I, personally, am just doing a test on 3 domains that I had unused and corresponded to the keywords. Of course, the last two domains not exactly gambling, but I just happened to have one and decided to test it.

    handicap.bet
    corner.football
    corner.soccer

    I wanted to redirect these domains to my main site to increase traffic, but fearing that 99% might be Bots, I did a redirect straight to the operator, with such an affiliate system so I could track traffic and IP addresses.
    The test is only a week old but 400 clicks were there, 0 registrations. I checked some IPs on some sites and some of the viewers are Bots and some are humans. Although I don't trust these IP checkers, my IP was also identified as Bot(I didn't use VPN).

    I think redirecting to the operator is definitely a bad practice, it would call out to your own site but I'd rather wait. It also seems to me that this can only work with new domain extensions, as no one is likely to type .net, .org, well .com already maybe.

    Does anyone use this tactic? It seems to me that 99% of the traffic will be Bots, too good to be true. Besides, it has zero value, but setting up a redirect is a minute and the test is not expensive.

    I would love to hear the opinions and experiences of users in this regard.

  2. #2
    universal4's Avatar
    universal4 is offline Forum Administrator
    Join Date
    July 2003
    Location
    Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. John Wayne
    Posts
    33,996
    Thanks
    4,544
    Thanked 9,298 Times in 5,982 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dannyx View Post
    I think redirecting to the operator is definitely a bad practice, it would call out to your own site but I'd rather wait. It also seems to me that this can only work with new domain extensions, as no one is likely to type .net, .org, well .com already maybe.
    Not sure what you mean, (it would call out to your own site).

    If you use something like a php page that immediately redirects to an affiliate link, there is no additional "call" anywhere. The browser or bot is immediately sent to the operator. This might require you set up a "site" or subdomain in your hosting panel. Some domain providers also allow a direct redirect without setting up the site direct out of dns.

    Use a campaign so you know which domain the click is from.

    The php page redirect you used does not have to be named index.php although I don't think that matters. You can also do the redirect in dns, or an htaccess file. You can also use a php or html page with a slight delay and tell the visitor where they are going but in the scenario you defined I think it is unnecessary.

    Whether it is effective is debatable, but can be answered easily. If you get a single player by doing it, did it pay for the domain registration? Is a lot of the traffic going to be bots? Probably, but a portion of that is, was the domain a site previously or only ever a redirected domain. Also a factor is whether the domain has any type in value.

    I know of a few members here at the GPWA who do this with some of the domains in their portfolio and hopefully a few of them with contribute to the discussion.


    Rick
    Universal4

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to universal4 For This Useful Post:

    dannyx (31 January 2024)

  4. #3
    dannyx is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    November 2019
    Posts
    735
    Thanks
    143
    Thanked 186 Times in 148 Posts

    Default

    Technically, everything is clear to me.
    I do the domain redirection in cpanel. I simply add the domain, the link to which it should redirect and that's it.

    I am more interested in the effects of such an action. As you say, if there would indeed be some FTD from it, then it is certainly worth keeping the domain.

    These test domains redirect to Mybookie and Xbet, that is, I can see the IP addresses and from which domain the click is, so the eventual registration will be attributed to the domain, so no problem here either.

    However, as I said if it works, I would prefer to redirect traffic from these domains to my site rather than directly to the operator. This would increase traffic to the site and perhaps make the site a little more independent of search engines (As much as a few % it would be nice not to be a slave to Google).
    It seems to me, by redirecting to your own site and not directly to the operator, you could get rid of most of the bots from these redirects if only through plugins like Wordfence, or from the server level.
    Also, I have seen some opinions in other posts about such a strategy and it would be great to hear experiences.

    I also have another question about this. Do you have any good way to verify IPs in terms of Bot/human? These online checkers are weak.
    Last edited by dannyx; 31 January 2024 at 2:29 pm.

  5. #4
    universal4's Avatar
    universal4 is offline Forum Administrator
    Join Date
    July 2003
    Location
    Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. John Wayne
    Posts
    33,996
    Thanks
    4,544
    Thanked 9,298 Times in 5,982 Posts

    Default

    Sorry, didn't mean to be overly technical, but it might help others in the discussion.

    As for conversion, as stated there are factors that will affect this. This can work on some domains but maybe not others.

    For redirecting to a main site, you could redirect to the home or a specified landing page. Question for that is, do you want your main site to also be known by other names? In case where domains are similar, or different extension it is logical, but possibly not in all cases.

    Or do you want to create specific landing pages, to qualify the visitor a little, and send them to a page or pages that might be more suited to the domain link they followed?

    Is there a possible duplicate site penalty? Guessing a little less likely today as was in place years ago but ...?

    I too am curious to hear opinions from others based around the redirect to main domains.

    Rick
    Universal4

  6. #5
    dannyx is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    November 2019
    Posts
    735
    Thanks
    143
    Thanked 186 Times in 148 Posts

    Default

    Landing pages on your own website tailored to the domain that redirects is something I was thinking about. This may be a good solution.

    The problem is domains with the operator's brand in the name. I wouldn't send them directly so as not to be accused of plagiarism. So such domains only allow redirection to your own website.

    You touched on SEO issues. Well, for example, 20 domains that redirect to one or several subpages within one page... I have no idea whether it is safe for the website, although these domains that have only been purchased should not be known to the search engine, on the other hand, it may be a duplicate, as you say. ...
    Last edited by dannyx; 31 January 2024 at 3:33 pm.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to dannyx For This Useful Post:

    universal4 (31 January 2024)

  8. #6
    gainfin's Avatar
    gainfin is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    December 2022
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    81
    Thanks
    139
    Thanked 27 Times in 21 Posts

    Default

    We only use domain type-in traffic for our affiliate marketing. We use domains to completely bypass Google and therefore transcend the whole SEO game.

    Two comments:

    1. Your domains listed here are not high enough quality to have much traffic that will convert to FTDs. By comparison, some of our best converting domains with type-in traffic include betting .ag, onlinebetting .ag, bettingonline .ag, onlinebet .ag, soccer .bet, bonus .ag, poker .ag, etc. We had 30 FTDs in January from our portfolio of domain names.

    2. It's best to not be fixated on bot traffic – that traffic will never convert to FTDs so why care? It's best to simply ignore the visit count number you see reported – it's fully of junky, worthless bot traffic. With using domain name type-in traffic for gambling affiliate marketing, FTDs is the only metric that matters. Even reported registration counts I simply ignore. I regularly let domain names that received registrations but no FTDs expire because if they don't deposit, they don't add monetary value and cannot pay for my domain name renewals each year. If a domain received a single FTD in the past 12 months, I will renew it for another year.

  9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gainfin For This Useful Post:

    big fish (7 October 2024), dannyx (31 January 2024), universal4 (31 January 2024)

  10. #7
    dannyx is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    November 2019
    Posts
    735
    Thanks
    143
    Thanked 186 Times in 148 Posts

    Default

    Bot traffic is so important that I don't want to burden my website if 99% of it is Bots. Of course, if you redirect straight to the operator, it doesn't matter, but it may be more effective to redirect to your own website, not the operator's. It is best to create a landing page for the domain that redirects.

    Have you tried something like this? Or only straight to the bookmaker/casino?

  11. #8
    gainfin's Avatar
    gainfin is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    December 2022
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    81
    Thanks
    139
    Thanked 27 Times in 21 Posts

    Default

    We have no websites to redirect to – we only forward domain names to operators' landing pages directly.

  12. #9
    big fish is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    February 2003
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,425
    Blog Entries
    32
    Thanks
    84
    Thanked 133 Times in 99 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gainfin View Post
    We only use domain type-in traffic for our affiliate marketing. We use domains to completely bypass Google and therefore transcend the whole SEO game.

    Two comments:

    1. Your domains listed here are not high enough quality to have much traffic that will convert to FTDs. By comparison, some of our best converting domains with type-in traffic include betting .ag, onlinebetting .ag, bettingonline .ag, onlinebet .ag, soccer .bet, bonus .ag, poker .ag, etc. We had 30 FTDs in January from our portfolio of domain names.

    2. It's best to not be fixated on bot traffic – that traffic will never convert to FTDs so why care? It's best to simply ignore the visit count number you see reported – it's fully of junky, worthless bot traffic. With using domain name type-in traffic for gambling affiliate marketing, FTDs is the only metric that matters. Even reported registration counts I simply ignore. I regularly let domain names that received registrations but no FTDs expire because if they don't deposit, they don't add monetary value and cannot pay for my domain name renewals each year. If a domain received a single FTD in the past 12 months, I will renew it for another year.
    pretty solid strategy - wish i had thought of this one. i have ~ 2,000 domains. most don't have types in traffic, and therefore shouldn't be renewed. however, i do have a ton of really good ones that will get type in traffic, so I'll be growing my own referrals with your domain redirect affiliate marketing strategy.

    thanks =]
    - Big Fish - Founder of Wagerz.org, CasinoOnline.us & SportsGambling.us

    1. https://wagerz.org: Discover the best legal US online gambling sites for real money play. Wagerz is a United States online casinos and sports betting guide.

    2. https://sportsgambling.us: Find USA sports betting websites that are legal and licensed in the United States of America.

    3. https://casinoonline.us: Compare the top USA online casinos with fact-checked reviews of legal casino sites for American players.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •