TheWaiter

The Boycotting of the UK Lottery

Rate this Entry
by , 7 April 2014 at 4:59 am (2592 Views)
Camelot are the tender winners of the UK's National Lottery, running games such as Thunderball, Lotto and EuroMillions. The Health Lottery is it's main rival but ran by an independent operator, which setup is questionable.

The National Lottery have been subject to dips in sales over the last 12 months which is presumably a result of bad press, game ticket price increases and reshuffling of games. The Lotto increased it's cost to play to £2 in 2013 and many people have been talking about boycotting the game for alternatives like the Health Lottery.

The main problem with this is the shady like setup of the Health Lottery draws away from the National Lottery's ability to generate money for good causes. It's believed that perhaps as much as £100 million has been lost in comparison to lasts years sales.

If you have the same mentality I would like to bring to your attention a news article I wrote at the time of the change with a run down of why it's not worth boycotting the game. Just as an example, I think the National Lottery take £0.08 out of every £1 for expenses as opposed to the Health Lottery which I think take £0.50.

Richard Desmond is a businessman who owns the lottery and I'm sure his main ambition is to make money with it. At the start of the Health Lottery (named NHS Lottery) it was shut down originally as being illegal.

You can read the article I wrote here.
Categories
Uncategorized