Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 50

Thread: CAC Amsterdam

  1. #1
    Simmo! is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    July 2004
    Posts
    893
    Thanks
    239
    Thanked 406 Times in 226 Posts

    Question CAC Amsterdam

    Any news on this? Not heard a thing yet I know CAP are already signing up exhibitors at the competing event. Just wanted to check CAC is moving ahead - don't want to go and book my hotel and find there's no-one there

    Cheers,

    Simmo!

  2. #2
    CityGuard's Avatar
    CityGuard is offline Former GPWA Program Manager
    Join Date
    July 2006
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    3,774
    Thanks
    442
    Thanked 672 Times in 392 Posts

    Default

    The Casino City team will be there and I know there are a number of affiliate programs that have signed on already.

    First the first time, CAC Amsterdam is FREE FOR AFFILIATES. When you register just remember to use the GPWA members registration page (here) in order to get the free admission.
    I have left the industry and earned a law degree at Indiana University Bloomington, Maurer School of Law. Here are ways to stay in touch with me:
    > Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/StevenCorfman
    > LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/stevencorfman/
    > Skype: StevenCorfman
    > Phone: +1 617 785 9324

    Inquiries intended for an administrator or staff member can be directed to Anthony Telesca through the forum (username Anthony) or to the general contact address manager AT gpwa DOT org.

  3. #3
    wagerprofits is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    March 2003
    Location
    Costa Rica
    Posts
    1,075
    Thanks
    86
    Thanked 112 Times in 73 Posts

    Default

    Hi

    I have heard mixed views on CAC Amsterdam, a fair few people i have spoken to have said they will not be attending.

    At least this time round it is free for affiliates, kind of weird that affiliates had to pay in the past anyway......

    Shaun

  4. #4
    Simmo! is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    July 2004
    Posts
    893
    Thanks
    239
    Thanked 406 Times in 226 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wagerprofits View Post
    Hi

    I have heard mixed views on CAC Amsterdam, a fair few people i have spoken to have said they will not be attending.

    At least this time round it is free for affiliates, kind of weird that affiliates had to pay in the past anyway......

    Shaun
    Yes its sad really but now CAP are going head-to-head in the same territory there's going to be an industry split. Both do great conferences but in the interests of trying to keep both in the market, I'm hoping to do CAC Amsterdam and the CAP Euro (Prague, Budapest?) later in the year.

    The reason affiliates were charged (although programs usually stumped the bill) is IMO down to the fact that CAC was the only conference provider so naturally they could dictate terms within reason. For now (at least) there's two which I think is very healthy for competition and good for the industry so long as they work together and not against each other. For the operators especially as one would imagine the providers are offering competitive rates bearing in mind they are showing in the same location (Amsterdam). But if the programs don't think carefully and just go with the cheapest it might not be the best policy (financially) for them longer term I guess.

    If we go back to just one provider, we'll be back to where we were and they can pretty much dictate the terms. Just the nature of business. Which is why I feel it's right for me to divide my support rather than just "go with the flow". It may not affect me too much financially, but as someone else pointed out recently, the more money the programs have to stump up on conferences, the less they have for other things. Besides which I want to support Marc in Amsterdam because IMO he's done a lot to bring this industry together so in hard times it's only fair to pay something back, albeit it's a small sacrifice for me

    Anyway, I know a few affiliates that are going to CAC and a few to CAP so while one will be smaller than the other, we'll still have fun I'm sure. Just a shame to miss out on catching up with some friends, but without doing both which isn't practical for me, that's unavoidable

    Hopefully in future years CAC and CAP will work together to provide conferences nicely spaced and in different locations to one another. Then we can go to them all without feeling like we have to take sides, which is what I feel I am being asked to do right now
    Last edited by Simmo!; 16 December 2008 at 12:00 pm.

  5. #5
    wagerprofits is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    March 2003
    Location
    Costa Rica
    Posts
    1,075
    Thanks
    86
    Thanked 112 Times in 73 Posts

    Default

    Hi Simmo

    You are correct in what you are saying, we now have the option of so many events all over the world the cost is huge is attend all of them and have stands ect I am sure you would spend around $400k per annum on the events so running the affiliate program I have to be selective about which one i select and which one I feel will bring the most rewards.

    London makes huge sense almost everybody can get cheap flights, being down in Costa Rica flighst to almost anywhere cost a fortune, aslo with London I get to get home, happy days.

    Shaun

  6. #6
    Simmo! is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    July 2004
    Posts
    893
    Thanks
    239
    Thanked 406 Times in 226 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wagerprofits View Post
    London makes huge sense almost everybody can get cheap flights, being down in Costa Rica flighst to almost anywhere cost a fortune, aslo with London I get to get home, happy days.

    Shaun
    True but it's bloody cold here! Give me a hot climate any day

    Quote Originally Posted by wagerprofits View Post
    I have to be selective about which one i select and which one I feel will bring the most rewards.
    Yeah it must be tough and expensive for you guys nowadays. I spoke to one aff program that is splitting the team up - one lot are having a stand at one and the rest are just attending the other which seemed like a good solution.

  7. #7
    matted's Avatar
    matted is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    June 2004
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Posts
    2,685
    Thanks
    118
    Thanked 328 Times in 222 Posts

    Default

    I always had a good time at the CAC events when they were in Las Vegas. At that time, it was the only event and almost everyone was there - and it was always a great experience - lots of fun, but lots of great discussion too. CAC Amsterdam would be TOPS on my list for the current slate - Marc puts on a good show.

    It is my goal to attend ONE industry event per year - just on hold now with 2 little kids. And while I dont think directly competing events is good for anyone - lots of smaller conferences at different times opens up more possibilities (including not as far from home). One day I'll get to Costa Rica too
    Owner, Cognitive Powers, Inc.
    Soon to be ex-webmaster
    Facebook, Twitter, and Linked In

  8. #8
    wagerprofits is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    March 2003
    Location
    Costa Rica
    Posts
    1,075
    Thanks
    86
    Thanked 112 Times in 73 Posts

    Default

    Matted

    I went CAC last year in Amsterdam was good but so cold, i have never attended the event in Vegas.

    I think a bit of competing events is not a bad thing, i think it is all about timing of the event and what the event can offer.

    You should get over to Costa Rica, with 2 kids it is a great place to be.

    Shaun

    Quote Originally Posted by matted View Post
    I always had a good time at the CAC events when they were in Las Vegas. At that time, it was the only event and almost everyone was there - and it was always a great experience - lots of fun, but lots of great discussion too. CAC Amsterdam would be TOPS on my list for the current slate - Marc puts on a good show.

    It is my goal to attend ONE industry event per year - just on hold now with 2 little kids. And while I dont think directly competing events is good for anyone - lots of smaller conferences at different times opens up more possibilities (including not as far from home). One day I'll get to Costa Rica too

  9. #9
    Chris-AffiliateClub's Avatar
    Chris-AffiliateClub is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    October 2007
    Posts
    66
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 18 Times in 14 Posts

    Default

    I love CAC Amsterdam and is my favourite conference of them all - I will be attending both CAC and CAP though so will be able to comment once both have taken place.

    Can't wait for them though
    Chris@AffiliateClub.com
    Acquisition & Affiliate Manager

  10. #10
    thisisvegas is offline Former Member
    Join Date
    February 2008
    Posts
    78
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 36 Times in 17 Posts

    Default

    competition is a good thing but I don't know about having one a month apart to split everyone in half. I would rather not have to choose and it's going to be tough for me to attend both conferences in Amsterdam when they are a month apart. I'm going to probably only pick one and base it on where most of the affiliates go or the ones I know the best. Small chance I might skip both as there are plenty of conferences throughout the year but if I have to pick one I might go with CAC just because they have been there before, it was CAC last year and they were planning/advertising this one for a longer time so I'm going to guess more affiliates and operators already have this one marked on their calendar.

  11. #11
    alexpratt's Avatar
    alexpratt is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    August 2006
    Posts
    1,429
    Blog Entries
    3
    Thanks
    151
    Thanked 717 Times in 423 Posts

    Default

    I just wanted to add that we didn't pick Amsterdam and a month apart on purpose - reason we are there and on those dates is because we wanted to add an additional event and were approached to partner with A4U's first ever European Expo (www.a4uexpo.com) So there event is teh first two days, we then have a joint networking day and then CAP Euro will run for a further 2 days.

    The advantages were so good we had to do it - They have an awesome event in terms of content and always attract nearn on 1,000 attendees that have very little cross over with us. What this means is our affiliates will be able to attend a retail focused show and learn about generating alternative revenue, their affiliates will be able to learn that we are nice people in gaming and not dodgy gangsters and all the operators win because they meet new blood. In addition it also means we could have close to or over 2,000 people there which would be unbelievable for a mainstream affiliate event let alone an igaming one.
    iGB Affiliate - The biggest magazine and events for affiliates in igaming

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to alexpratt For This Useful Post:

    wagerprofits (22 December 2008)

  13. #12
    Simmo! is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    July 2004
    Posts
    893
    Thanks
    239
    Thanked 406 Times in 226 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alexpratt View Post
    we are nice people in gaming and not dodgy gangsters
    Damn that definately rules me out then

    Appreciate what you're saying Alex, but it's not like CAP didn't realise CAC Amsterdam was the same month and whatever the motives or reasons, it still splits the industry in two. I love meeting all the people at the conferences and to think I'm going to miss meeting many friends just puts a dampener on the whole experience for me.
    Last edited by Simmo!; 22 December 2008 at 6:54 am.

  14. #13
    MichaelCorfman's Avatar
    MichaelCorfman is offline GPWA Executive Director
    Join Date
    June 2004
    Location
    Newton, MA
    Posts
    4,227
    Thanks
    894
    Thanked 5,447 Times in 1,758 Posts

    Default

    Alex,

    That is a nice story line, and it may very well match your personal views. I've always found you to be very professional and I respect you a great deal. However, your statement does not mesh what many affiliate programs have been told. There is a clear message out there in the industry that CAP management are stating that the goal of this CAP conference is to crush the CAC confereces.

    Many view this as another example of CAP not tolerating choices and being overly agressive in attempting to create a monolpoly by trying to eliminate anything that could be viewed as competitive.

    Michael

    Quote Originally Posted by alexpratt View Post
    I just wanted to add that we didn't pick Amsterdam and a month apart on purpose - reason we are there and on those dates is because we wanted to add an additional event and were approached to partner with A4U's first ever European Expo (www.a4uexpo.com) So there event is teh first two days, we then have a joint networking day and then CAP Euro will run for a further 2 days.

    The advantages were so good we had to do it - They have an awesome event in terms of content and always attract nearn on 1,000 attendees that have very little cross over with us. What this means is our affiliates will be able to attend a retail focused show and learn about generating alternative revenue, their affiliates will be able to learn that we are nice people in gaming and not dodgy gangsters and all the operators win because they meet new blood. In addition it also means we could have close to or over 2,000 people there which would be unbelievable for a mainstream affiliate event let alone an igaming one.
    GPWA Executive Director, Casino City CEO, Friend to the Village Idiot

    Resources for Affiliates: iGamingDirectory.com, iGamingAffiliatePrograms.com, GamingMeets.com

  15. #14
    alexpratt's Avatar
    alexpratt is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    August 2006
    Posts
    1,429
    Blog Entries
    3
    Thanks
    151
    Thanked 717 Times in 423 Posts

    Default

    Since the dates, venue, location etc are not simply "CAPs" (which I consider myself a part of) decision and actually vastly mine as the event organiser it really isn't just a nice story but hey go with what you want - I honestly just wanted to point out the reasons behind the location and date choice -

    If you guys want to take that and roll it into another anti CAP conspiracy theory then feel free. All I can do is to keep trying to do my best to deliver the best events etc for affiliates and operators.

    Have a good Christmas.

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelCorfman View Post
    Alex,

    That is a nice story line, and it may very well match your personal views. I've always found you to be very professional and I respect you a great deal. However, your statement does not mesh what many affiliate programs have been told. There is a clear message out there in the industry that CAP management are stating that the goal of this CAP conference is to crush the CAC confereces.

    Many view this as another example of CAP not tolerating choices and being overly agressive in attempting to create a monolpoly by trying to eliminate anything that could be viewed as competitive.

    Michael
    iGB Affiliate - The biggest magazine and events for affiliates in igaming

  16. #15
    hastla's Avatar
    hastla is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    December 2008
    Location
    Vienna
    Posts
    21
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default CAC Amsterdam - new to the business & joining - good desicion?

    Hi,

    this is my first topic in this forum & I found it via the CAC-Homepage. Im new to the business, but made offline-promotions in past. My new german blog about pokerraffiliate, you can find here: Pokeraffiliateblog.de

    Im on planning stage with some new projects and wanted to ask if it is usefull to go as a "newbie" to CAC in Amsterdam. For me its a minus-business in generell, but hope to learn a lot there and talk to other peoples from the business. Or is it for beginers a waste of money?


    Would be nice to get some answers.

    Thank you
    stefan

  17. #16
    matted's Avatar
    matted is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    June 2004
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Posts
    2,685
    Thanks
    118
    Thanked 328 Times in 222 Posts

    Default

    Definitely not a waste of time. I hardly made anything until my first CAC. Within 2 months I started making a paycheck every month. When at CAC, remember your time 'socializing' with other affiliates is just as important as the sessions.

    Being a newbie in the industry can be very frustrating, but hang in there.
    Owner, Cognitive Powers, Inc.
    Soon to be ex-webmaster
    Facebook, Twitter, and Linked In

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to matted For This Useful Post:

    ppw (29 December 2008)

  19. #17
    hastla's Avatar
    hastla is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    December 2008
    Location
    Vienna
    Posts
    21
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by matted View Post
    Definitely not a waste of time. I hardly made anything until my first CAC. Within 2 months I started making a paycheck every month. When at CAC, remember your time 'socializing' with other affiliates is just as important as the sessions.

    Being a newbie in the industry can be very frustrating, but hang in there.

    thank you for your fast reply - this was my thinkings too.
    And what do you think, how should I get to the convention? - I read there are sponsored tickets for "new" affiliates. Is there a possibility to catch some of these tickets or should I buy a normal ticket?

    The price is really high for new affiliates like me.

  20. #18
    matted's Avatar
    matted is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    June 2004
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Posts
    2,685
    Thanks
    118
    Thanked 328 Times in 222 Posts

    Default

    I believe admission is free to affiliates this year - which solves that problem!

    I have tried to make it to one conference/convention per year. This industry changes quite a bit over time - from SEO strategies to the best affiliate programs to work with to the latest technologies for your website.

    Amsterdam is too far for me right now with my current calendar... so my wife has been really nice and given me a break to go to Vegas in 2 weeks for ASW/GPWA.
    Owner, Cognitive Powers, Inc.
    Soon to be ex-webmaster
    Facebook, Twitter, and Linked In

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to matted For This Useful Post:

    ppw (29 December 2008)

  22. #19
    Schankwart is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    June 2004
    Posts
    324
    Thanks
    93
    Thanked 83 Times in 57 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hastla View Post
    thank you for your fast reply - this was my thinkings too.
    And what do you think, how should I get to the convention? - I read there are sponsored tickets for "new" affiliates. Is there a possibility to catch some of these tickets or should I buy a normal ticket?

    The price is really high for new affiliates like me.
    GPWA members pay $0 to join this event. All details are posted on http://www.cac2009.com/

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to Schankwart For This Useful Post:

    ppw (29 December 2008)

  24. #20
    ppw's Avatar
    ppw
    ppw is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    November 2006
    Location
    Littlehampton
    Posts
    71
    Thanks
    91
    Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hastla View Post
    Hi,

    Im new to the business, but made offline-promotions in past
    Im on planning stage with some new projects and wanted to ask if it is usefull to go as a "newbie" to CAC in Amsterdam. For me its a minus-business in generell, but hope to learn a lot there and talk to other peoples from the business. Or is it for beginers a waste of money?


    stefan

    Excellent question. Although I have had my site since 2006, I really have only been going "balls" out with it for the last few months, determined to make it pay. I have always wanted to attend an event, its been time, with building a new business and definately money!. Looks like I will have to clear my calender this year, you have allayed my fears a little. Thanks all for your answers you have made my mind up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •