Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Chess

  1. #1
    newcustomeroffer is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    January 2018
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,367
    Thanks
    237
    Thanked 606 Times in 476 Posts

    Default Chess

    Anyone else play chess on here?

    My eldest son started playing online recently and quickly improved from never being able to beat me with my rudimentary skills from when I played as a kid, to being able to beat me every single time without fail. Amazing how quickly he improved with a little practice.

    Being a competitive type that's spurred me on to playing more, I'm now up to the dizzy heights of an ELO rating on chess.com of 850-900, depending how the most recent games have gone.

    I'm never going to make Grand Master I know that, but it's certainly captured my imagination. Interesting to know how any of you rate if you play too.
    For the latest bookmaker new customer offers visit https://www.newcustomeroffer.co.uk/

  2. #2
    LinuxGam is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    July 2019
    Posts
    81
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 17 Times in 12 Posts

    Default

    I started playing a fair bit a year or two ago and like you hovered around 900 to 1000 at first… but after a lot of games and practice was up to 1300 on chess.com 10 min matches. I’m likely prob about 900/1000 in real terms now as not played for so long.

    Checked my history and hit 1450 after a few good runs…. But i feel my level was averaging at 1300. I’m not sure how the levels compare now, but the one thing I noticed was after 1100 the skill level jumped a fair bit and after 1300 a LOT

  3. #3
    MaRcRaM's Avatar
    MaRcRaM is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    October 2009
    Posts
    179
    Thanks
    74
    Thanked 77 Times in 57 Posts

    Default

    I've been playing on https://www.redhotpawn.com/ for years. I play in spurts though because it becomes addicting and I end up spending too much time making moves on there and not getting anything else done during the day! BUT, if anyone would like to play a game on there, shoot me a PM and we'll get a match going. And while we're on the subject, if you haven't seen it, be sure to watch The Queen's Gambit on Netflix as it's fantastic!

  4. #4
    jaykay92 is offline Brand New Member
    Join Date
    January 2023
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I played chess a lot as a kid, and I think it shaped a lot of how I grew up, and how I think. It's a fantastic game for kids to learn.
    I dominated the local chess club, but soon as I attended the first region-wide tournaments, I got absolutely destroyed. I lost a lot of my motivation then to get to the next level, but I didn't know how to battle adversity back then.

    To me it was just a fun hobby, too. Not something I wanted to necessarily get good at.

  5. #5
    Mattbar's Avatar
    Mattbar is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    July 2015
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,407
    Thanks
    123
    Thanked 920 Times in 579 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by newcustomeroffer View Post
    My eldest son started playing online recently and quickly improved from never being able to beat me with my rudimentary skills from when I played as a kid, to being able to beat me every single time without fail. Amazing how quickly he improved with a little practice.

    Very similar, I played at bit in my youth and in the last year or so I started teaching my eldest son how to play, he now beats me almost every time.

    I haven't joined chess.com but being I've certainly got back into the game again and it is a great way to wind down away from the screens and the internet.

  6. #6
    newcustomeroffer is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    January 2018
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,367
    Thanks
    237
    Thanked 606 Times in 476 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LinuxGam View Post
    Checked my history and hit 1450 after a few good runs…. But i feel my level was averaging at 1300. I’m not sure how the levels compare now, but the one thing I noticed was after 1100 the skill level jumped a fair bit and after 1300 a LOT
    1450 is seriously impressive! I play some 800/900 rated players sometimes and they seem so good I wonder how much better the higher rated players can really be, but they're clearly on a whole another level as you say.

    Saying that, I know there's lots of room for improvement in my game and often realise immediately when I've made even a small mistake, let alone something fatal, so hopefully I can edge up over time.

    Quote Originally Posted by MaRcRaM View Post
    And while we're on the subject, if you haven't seen it, be sure to watch The Queen's Gambit on Netflix as it's fantastic!
    Yes, loved the Queen's Gambit!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mattbar View Post
    I haven't joined chess.com but being I've certainly got back into the game again and it is a great way to wind down away from the screens and the internet.
    I've been really impressed with chess.com I have to say, loads of tools and tutorials on there. They struggle with capacity at times but other than that a great app.
    For the latest bookmaker new customer offers visit https://www.newcustomeroffer.co.uk/

  7. #7
    CasinosBroker's Avatar
    CasinosBroker is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    July 2021
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    585
    Thanks
    96
    Thanked 123 Times in 112 Posts

    Default

    I've started playing first time chess when I was 15 years old. My grandfather thought me.

    Thanks to this thread, I'll start playing again on my free time.
    Looking to buy or sell iGaming sites?
    Get in touch today!
    www.CasinosBroker.com
    WhatsApp: +40-757-953-988

  8. #8
    NoDepositCasinos's Avatar
    NoDepositCasinos is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    November 2022
    Location
    Colombia
    Posts
    1,246
    Thanks
    364
    Thanked 488 Times in 402 Posts

    Default

    Thank you for starting this thread. It brought back pleasant memories of my childhood.

    I haven't played chess in a long time, but I think it is one of the games that help you control impulsiveness, develop strategies, and improve discipline. In my opinion, it shapes character in a certain way.

    I want to play again soon!
    casinobonusnewsletter.com - AMs contact me for deals

    revenueoptimization.io - DM me if you want to be featured in our blog

  9. #9
    Fluffy Cloudlett is offline Brand New Member
    Join Date
    March 2023
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Always wanted to learn how to play them, I'm thinking of starting online. It develops cool.

  10. #10
    newcustomeroffer is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    January 2018
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,367
    Thanks
    237
    Thanked 606 Times in 476 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy Cloudlett View Post
    Always wanted to learn how to play them, I'm thinking of starting online. It develops cool.
    There are hidden depths to the game that I'd never conceived before, having previously just moved the pieces around hopefully - much more to it than that!!
    For the latest bookmaker new customer offers visit https://www.newcustomeroffer.co.uk/

  11. #11
    edgarf76's Avatar
    edgarf76 is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2013
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    2,196
    Thanks
    804
    Thanked 582 Times in 429 Posts

    Default

    I used to play a lot when I was younger. I play online sometimes but I find it very different than playing in person.
    Visit Play Slots 4 Real Money and Casino Slots Money for trusted recommendations and tips on the best casinos.

  12. #12
    Bahmut's Avatar
    Bahmut is offline Brand New Member
    Join Date
    March 2023
    Location
    Тернопіль
    Posts
    13
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I'm not bad myself, I could play with someone on the forum

  13. #13
    Pokerface's Avatar
    Pokerface is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    August 2016
    Posts
    3,166
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    691
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 747 Posts

    Default

    I used to play chess years ago and was quite good. It has been many years since I have played, but now more difficult to find partners to play chess with. Perhaps I should look at online chess games.
    nousviz.com

    What's Nous?

    StatsDrone now offers Freemium plan to connect up to 30 programs - FREE!.

  14. #14
    newcustomeroffer is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    January 2018
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,367
    Thanks
    237
    Thanked 606 Times in 476 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pokerface View Post
    Perhaps I should look at online chess games.
    Seems to be thriving online right now, maybe a transient thing to a degree but there's certainly many out there who are playing online.
    For the latest bookmaker new customer offers visit https://www.newcustomeroffer.co.uk/

  15. #15
    newcustomeroffer is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    January 2018
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,367
    Thanks
    237
    Thanked 606 Times in 476 Posts

    Default

    Finally made it to 1000 rated, some of the games are so intense though even at that level, let alone what they must be like as you go up the scale!
    For the latest bookmaker new customer offers visit https://www.newcustomeroffer.co.uk/

  16. #16
    mariasilvajunior7's Avatar
    mariasilvajunior7 is offline Restricted Account
    Join Date
    May 2023
    Location
    Brasil
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    I'm not good at chess. But I plan to learn the game. But I want to play not with a computer, but with a real player.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to mariasilvajunior7 For This Useful Post:

    Wannas (3 September 2023)

  18. #17
    Oscar Forster is offline Brand New Member
    Join Date
    August 2023
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I have been playing since childhood, I love chess, we can play online

  19. #18
    kwwriting is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    112
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts

    Default

    I've also played since I was young. The funny thing is, I don't even remember how I learned. I'm also a big fan of Stratego.
    I write content, yes I do. Who wants content, how 'bout you? KWWriting

  20. #19
    TheGooner's Avatar
    TheGooner is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    4,565
    Thanks
    2,092
    Thanked 4,537 Times in 2,177 Posts

    Default

    My father was a keen player - I was interested mildly.

    The biggest problem I have with Chess is the heavy time investment required in memorising openings and counters to those openings in order to progress and improve. This process isn't good play, or enjoyable at all. It's rote learning of positions and heavily analysed best responses.

    Even the end game has been broken down and researched so thoroughly now that it's not actually fun if one player has done the research and learns the winning positions.

    Chess is a complex game, but not complex enough to avoid the detailed breakdown analysis and as such the human element and actual test is lost. In many positions it's all been broken down - move x is optimal, anything else is bad.

    To an advanced player it's like playing tic-tac-toe or noughts and crosses in many situations - obvious good move stated in prior systems analysis and theory - especially against a player who has not done the same level of research, study, memorisation.

    So while playing chess as a novice, against other novices, has some enjoyment ... the game actually rapidly becomes a chore as you advance.

  21. #20
    Wannas's Avatar
    Wannas is offline Non-sponsor Affiliate Program
    Join Date
    June 2023
    Posts
    50
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 16 Times in 7 Posts

    Default

    i remember my grandfather used to tell me that learning how to play chess is good for my character development as it helps me to anticipate current situations and the cause and effect. so when i was young i tried to play with my grandfather and my siblings.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •