baldidiot is online now Private Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,961 Times in 1,290 Posts

Default Cross device tracking

I've recently noticed that a few mainstream programs we work with offer cross device tracking - ie: the user can click a link on their mobile and the sale still tracks if it's made on that users desktop computer or tablet.

Example: https://snag.gy/9UEH0j.jpg

It's crazy how big a percentage of the tracked sales are cross device - last month for one program that offers it, 36% of transactions were through cross device tracking, meaning that - in theory at least - for the programs that don't offer cross device tracking we're losing around a third of potential sales through to leakage.

It's obviously a bit different in retail to igaming as I think they partially use account and basket data to attribute the sale (tbh I'm not 100% sure how it works), but do you think there is any possibility of seeing this type of thing in igaming somehow?

(Partially asking if it would even be physically possible)
    onlinegamblingwebsites.com - Formally known as goodbonusguide.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to baldidiot For This Useful Post:

TheGooner (10 January 2017)

Thanks

Just realised I posted this on a Saturday....

Giving it a quick bumparoo in case any AM's have any input.

wonderpunter is offline Private Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,643 Times in 983 Posts

but this would only work on devices using the same network?

Thanks

Tbh I have no idea. I don't really know how the retail networks are doing it, all I know is that they are.

TheGooner is offline Private Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,182 Times in 1,990 Posts

Sounds great - although I have little idea as to how they technically do it if the a mobile phone is involved as the mobile data address will resolve completely differently. I guess that they could resolve things across devices if they were using either Google or Facebook login authentication as this is something that the user will have installed and used on both devices.

I would also be VERY interested to hear from ANY affiliate managers that offer this - as around 60-70% of our traffic is mobile devices now.

LukeC is offline Non-sponsor Affiliate Program
    Thanks

I expect that the first way of determining it in retail is based on (in your example) an existing customer clicking on a link that redirects them to the retailer, them then choosing to log in or already being logged in on Android, and then logging in and purchasing on PC. This is referred to as "deterministic" tracking if you want to look into it further. Affiliate Window explain they do it via email at http://wiki.affiliatewindow.com/inde...evice_Tracking

That isn't relevant for the gambling industry given the customer is already tracked to a single affiliate on registration, whereas in most retail the affiliate is only credited the one sale. It would be relatively simple for someone like Apple or Amazon to offer this, given all their users have accounts.

If your example is from a company that doesn't have user accounts, I'd be interested to know who it is to look into it further.
    Last edited by LukeC; 10 January 2017 at 3:54 pm.
    Head of Affiliates at Digital Fuel

Thanks

Yeah I realise that, which is why I mentioned that igaming would be different to retail. So part of the question is whether or not it is even physically possible.

Gooner makes a good point that facebook log in info is offered up to various plug ins and sites via their API so could be a possibility, but not sure if they would allow it for third party tracking?