Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    kwblue's Avatar
    kwblue is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    August 2005
    Posts
    929
    Thanks
    434
    Thanked 704 Times in 284 Posts

    Default Deal/Bonus Popover - do they convert?

    I’ve been kicking around the idea of adding a promo-driven popup on SlotsonFire.com. Possibly something that would only appear during special periods like Christmas, New Year’s, major sporting events, or when a casino is running a really good, but limited-time bonus. The idea is to highlight genuinely good deals rather than throwing random offers at people. Probably not easy to do, but maybe worth a shot?

    As a user, I usually close popups immediately. They’ve become so common that I’m honestly not sure whether they still help with player acquisition or whether they just push people away. As an affiliate, though, I’m also aware that well-timed promos can convert extremely well if shown at the right moment and to the right person/player.

    So I’m trying to figure out where the line is today... Are these types of popups effective [if they’re done cleanly and sparingly]? Do you find that seasonal or event-based promos actually drive higher CTR or FTDs? Or do they mostly annoy users and add friction to the site experience?

    For those of you who’ve tested this recently... what worked, what didn’t, and what would you do differently?

    Curious to hear real-world experiences because my instinct says "these are annoying", but my affiliate brain says "they might be leaving money on the table."
    SlotsOnFire.com — Online Slots Database | 34,000+ Games, RTP & Reviews

  2. #2
    FictionNet is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    December 1969
    Posts
    5,299
    Thanks
    1,453
    Thanked 1,278 Times in 672 Posts

    Default

    I've been wondering this exact same thing for many years - how to present a timely popup or special offer without pissing off the visitor. I finally took the recommendation (of AI) to at least give it a try. AI also gave me new ideas - it doesn't need to be an intrusive sizeable banner image, it could just be a single line of text that's easily dismissed. AI also suggested my 'banner' should appear at least 10 second later than the visitor arrives at the page, to gain extra atttention/focus.

    So, only approx one month ago, I added a 'sticky banner' single line of text at the top of my pages, only appearing once and after ten seconds, and super-easy to close/dismiss. I'm geo-targeting these links. So far, they're possibly the largest source of new sign-ups. So yes, it works. And apparently, if done right, it doesn't have to feel intrusive.

    I found this to be a good example of human + AI working together. I had an idea (albeit, hardly original) and it helped me put it into practice, at a fraction of the timescale, better than I'd have done on my own.

  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FictionNet For This Useful Post:

    DaftDog (2 December 2025), kwblue (2 December 2025), MMM (8 December 2025)

  4. #3
    MichaelBluejay is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    October 2006
    Posts
    84
    Thanks
    64
    Thanked 27 Times in 25 Posts

    Default

    Forget whether they're effective, is it *decent*? Do you really want to add litter to the world? I will never foist popups, interstitials, or animated ads on my readers, even if I make less money. That's not the kind of person I want to be. The web is screwed up enough without my piling on. I can't change the rest of the web, but I don't have to contribute to the cesspool.

  5. #4
    Emiliana Rostowicz's Avatar
    Emiliana Rostowicz is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    February 2025
    Posts
    93
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts

    Default

    Your instinct regarding context is spot on. Generic 'Sign Up Now' popups are just noise and usually increase bounce rates. However, seasonal or event-based popovers work because they offer value relevant to the moment (e.g., 'Grab this Christmas Bonus before it expires').
    My advice: Don't trigger it on page load. Use exit-intent technology on desktop and a sticky bottom bar on mobile (to avoid Google's intrusive interstitial penalty). If you present it as a 'last-minute deal' when they are about to leave, it feels less like an annoyance and more like a saved opportunity. Definitely worth testing during the holidays.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Emiliana Rostowicz For This Useful Post:

    kwblue (8 December 2025)

  7. #5
    All In Affiliates's Avatar
    All In Affiliates is offline Non-sponsor Affiliate Program
    Join Date
    November 2025
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    54
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts

    Default

    It can definitely work. You'll notice several big affiliate sites use a 3-ad interstitial as an exit pop. I believe there are companies who offers this as a packaged solution but you can also create your own ext intent script and ad unit (we've built our own). The key is triggering the pop at the right time with an engaging and time sensitive offer.

  8. #6
    NoDepositCasinos's Avatar
    NoDepositCasinos is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    November 2022
    Location
    Colombia
    Posts
    1,247
    Thanks
    364
    Thanked 488 Times in 402 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kwblue View Post
    The idea is to highlight genuinely good deals rather than throwing random offers at people. Probably not easy to do, but maybe worth a shot?
    I’m not sure what you have in mind, but implementing a discreet pop-up isn’t that hard, even if you’re not particularly tech-savvy (I’m definitely not). I think what most of us find annoying are the full-screen modals, but there are way less aggressive formats you can experiment with.

    I use popovers only very occasionally. I tested them during specific seasons, and even though the results were acceptable, I find they have worked best for me when they’re tied to a specific event and the promotion itself is particularly good. My goal is that each time that little box appears, the user feels that there is something good or at least interesting for them. IMO, it’s definitely worth testing. And unless you do something extremely intrusive, I don’t really see negative consequences.
    casinobonusnewsletter.com - AMs contact me for deals

    revenueoptimization.io - DM me if you want to be featured in our blog

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to NoDepositCasinos For This Useful Post:

    kwblue (11 December 2025)

  10. #7
    kwblue's Avatar
    kwblue is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    August 2005
    Posts
    929
    Thanks
    434
    Thanked 704 Times in 284 Posts

    Default

    Thanks everyone. Still kicking it around a bit, but it will definitely be non-intrusive. I'm not a huge fan of them myself, so I want to be careful. I am technical enough to get it done, but I am currently finalizing some larger code enhancements, so I put it slightly on the backburner now until probably early January.
    SlotsOnFire.com — Online Slots Database | 34,000+ Games, RTP & Reviews

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •