View Poll Results: Do you know the difference between a bookmaker and betting exchange?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I’ve used them myself or know about them in detail

    6 60.00%
  • I have some idea but haven’t used them or understand it in detail.

    4 40.00%
  • I am new to the idea of exchange betting and haven’t looked at them at all

    0 0%
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    p.arena is offline Former AM
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    634
    Thanks
    247
    Thanked 194 Times in 146 Posts

    Default Difference between bookmakers and betting exchanges

    Hi All,

    I’m currently putting together some information about the differences between betting exchanges and bookmakers, both from the perspective as a bettor as well as an affiliate.

    I'm interested to know what the general knowledge is of most people in the industry, so thought it would be worthwhile to start a poll and see what the response was like and how much the average person already knows.

    Thanks in advance for those that participate in the poll and those that reply in the thread, I look forward to the results.

    Cheers!

  2. #2
    JackTenSuited is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2004
    Posts
    1,013
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 334 Times in 207 Posts

    Default

    As a gambler I use them for sports betting singles as the odds are usually better, as an affiliate I find it hard to push them as earning % on commission of winning bets isn't much of an incentive.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to JackTenSuited For This Useful Post:

    p.arena (13 August 2014)

  4. #3
    DanHorvat's Avatar
    DanHorvat is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    November 2008
    Location
    Actual location may vary.
    Posts
    1,994
    Blog Entries
    3
    Thanks
    1,418
    Thanked 1,319 Times in 783 Posts

    Default

    I generally look at betting exchanges only through the quality of the odds for single betting, and I know there are ways to green out but I think that's reserved for very skilled individuals. It's trading, not betting, and that's a whole different ball game.

    I'd be interested to know more.
    Professional bizdev can help you, the affiliate, to negotiate better terms with casinos. PM for details and a free evaluation of what I can do for you. All geos.

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DanHorvat For This Useful Post:

    BettingGods (21 August 2014), p.arena (13 August 2014)

  6. #4
    chaumi is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    October 2013
    Location
    East Midlands
    Posts
    1,640
    Thanks
    570
    Thanked 840 Times in 617 Posts

    Default

    I'd say I have a very strong grasp of differences having used both extensively for betting purposes over many years.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to chaumi For This Useful Post:

    p.arena (13 August 2014)

  8. #5
    PromoteCasino is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    June 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,114
    Thanks
    1,069
    Thanked 489 Times in 333 Posts

    Default

    I use both the exchange and sports book at Betfair. If i back singles i tend to stick to the exchange but for multiples i use the sports book because of BOG. My betting patterns tend to be to back instead of lay. Although i have been successful on laying some golf bets that i have backed at up to 1000/1. Just to secure a decent profit win or lose!!!

    But with the introduction of cash out on both mediums it does takes the stress of laying a bet out.
    BettingOffers.bet - Latest offers and bonuses from reputable UK bookmakers. A New project underway but a long way to go Bookie Rewards

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to PromoteCasino For This Useful Post:

    p.arena (13 August 2014)

  10. #6
    BettingGods's Avatar
    BettingGods is offline Non-sponsor Affiliate Program
    Join Date
    March 2014
    Location
    Malta
    Posts
    25
    Thanks
    94
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts

    Default

    Other guys have already touched on it but exchanges seems much more targeted and setup for traders.
    Would love to see WBX become a BIG player as an exchange.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to BettingGods For This Useful Post:

    p.arena (21 August 2014)

  12. #7
    p.arena is offline Former AM
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    634
    Thanks
    247
    Thanked 194 Times in 146 Posts

    Default

    Thanks BettingGods appreciate the kind words, we are working on growing the exchange and have a lot of ideas in the works.


    It's true that trading is a big part of the activity on the exchange but I find there's a lot of casual punters that sign up and use it like a normal sportsbook.


    That's why we offer the sportsbook view and the exchange view to cater for both.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •