Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Frank Benjamin is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    April 2008
    Posts
    378
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 46 Times in 35 Posts

    Default Domain Name Question

    I have been researching an idea of mine. The domain name that I am looking for is taken as a .com. The .info name is available and I was thinking about trying it out because the idea of the site is to be a repository of information for the internet gambler - casino, poker and sports.

    Will having the .info hurt SEO or rankings? This is more of a side project and something to play around with. However, like any website, it would be nice to get visitors and rank in the high in search results.

    Any thoughts?

  2. #2
    jctroy440's Avatar
    jctroy440 is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    August 2010
    Location
    Cancun, Mexico
    Posts
    272
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked 58 Times in 46 Posts

    Default Hmmm

    Before you do, I would also take into consideration who has the .com site and what kind of competition you'll get from them.

    I don't know how much weight (or lack of) a .info carries with father Google. I have all of my .com domains backed up with the .info ext. I am planning on adding a .info to my www.bestcasinoonlinenow.com and have the .info point to Europe ie: casinos that don't take US players. Before I do that I am going to do a bit more research myself.

    Keep us posted

    Thanks
    Jimmie T

    And God said he would make kind and obedient women for all men and spread them to the four corners of the Earth.
    Then he made the world round and laughed his A** off.

    www.joinsportsnetwork.com

    www.bestcasinoonlinenow.com

  3. #3
    matted's Avatar
    matted is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    June 2004
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Posts
    2,685
    Thanks
    118
    Thanked 328 Times in 222 Posts

    Default

    I personally stick to .com's...
    Owner, Cognitive Powers, Inc.
    Soon to be ex-webmaster
    Facebook, Twitter, and Linked In

  4. #4
    Frank Benjamin is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    April 2008
    Posts
    378
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 46 Times in 35 Posts

    Default

    Funny thing is that I am actually the owner of the .com domain, lol. I completely forgot I bought it a couple months back for another project that was put on the side burner.

    I ended up purchasing the .info domain as well. Since this is more or less an experiment, why not add another variable. How else do you learn, lol.

    I am hoping to make this site collaborative at some point. So I will definitely keep all updated.

  5. #5
    jctroy440's Avatar
    jctroy440 is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    August 2010
    Location
    Cancun, Mexico
    Posts
    272
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked 58 Times in 46 Posts

    Default Tread Lightly

    I would do your homework before casting the .info net. Father Google is like mother nature..screwing with either will get you F***ed. If you post a .info site and it looks like a mirror site then the big G may frown on you.

    I may be way off base but I learned in Nam, 'tis better to walk around a mine field then tip toe thru one
    Jimmie T

    And God said he would make kind and obedient women for all men and spread them to the four corners of the Earth.
    Then he made the world round and laughed his A** off.

    www.joinsportsnetwork.com

    www.bestcasinoonlinenow.com

  6. #6
    Frank Benjamin is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    April 2008
    Posts
    378
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 46 Times in 35 Posts

    Default

    it won't be a mirror site. It will be its own unique site with unique informative content.

    I understand that many believe that Google et al prefer that .com domains. Nonetheless, they also have the objective to index the best sites for those that use their search engine. With this in mind, why would Google or any other SE exclude a well built site with keyword rich unique content that is SEO'd? Will they do this because the site has a .info, .us or some other gTLD?

    It is my hypothesis that a site can flourish with a .info domain. I am no expert and it is quite possible that I am wrong.

    Since this is more of a project that I have been thinking about for a couple years and not a major money making venture, why not try it? Worst case scenario is that I am out the $1.99 it cost me for the domain and my time. Hell, I can also look at it as SEO practice as well. If I wasn't working on this site, I'd be wasting my time doing something esle. Seems like a win,-win to me. And because I have yet to hear a reasonable explanation why not to use a domain such as this, I do not believe that it will be in vain.

    Time will tell....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •