Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 37
  1. #1
    dannyx is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    November 2019
    Posts
    735
    Thanks
    143
    Thanked 186 Times in 148 Posts

    Default Do you know or are you learning a foreign language?

    Do you know any foreign languages?
    If so, at what level?
    Are you in the process of learning?
    If so, what is your motivation?
    Or maybe you are not learning and do not know foreign languages but have plans to start?
    What methods work for you?

  2. #2
    NoDepositCasinos's Avatar
    NoDepositCasinos is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    November 2022
    Location
    Colombia
    Posts
    1,246
    Thanks
    364
    Thanked 488 Times in 402 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dannyx View Post
    Do you know any foreign languages?
    If so, at what level?
    Are you in the process of learning?
    If so, what is your motivation?
    Or maybe you are not learning and do not know foreign languages but have plans to start?
    What methods work for you?
    My native language is Spanish, I speak English at a B2 level, and I understand Portuguese because I have family members who speak it, and although I got used to hearing it, I struggle to speak it. I'm working on improving my English pronunciation as I still have a strong accent, and planning to start practicing Portuguese.

    My motivation for learning languages is my job and my love for travel and learning. The method that has worked best for me is reading books in the language that I am learning and making friends to practice with.
    casinobonusnewsletter.com - AMs contact me for deals

    revenueoptimization.io - DM me if you want to be featured in our blog

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to NoDepositCasinos For This Useful Post:

    GPWA Nicole (14 August 2023)

  4. #3
    robyroy is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2009
    Location
    Somewhere on this earth
    Posts
    235
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 42 Times in 32 Posts

    Default

    My native language is quite exotic, so I need some English when i speak with my foreign clients/partners. I think i have B1/B2 level.

  5. #4
    GPWA Nicole's Avatar
    GPWA Nicole is offline GPWA/APCW Program Manager
    Join Date
    November 2006
    Location
    Florida and Curacao
    Posts
    145
    Thanks
    396
    Thanked 50 Times in 44 Posts

    Default

    It's such a good question. I have lived in Curacao for more than 20 years where people are speaking different languages. Spanish, Dutch Papiamentu and English. Even my daughters were taught 5 languages in Curacao schools. I can understand quite a bit of those languages... but I can't speak any of them. I blame it on my Texas accent. It seems to be easy for some people....I am not one of those people.

    I admire those who can and try. It will certainly make life more interesting to be able to communicate with others in business and in pleasure.

    I will follow this post I am interested in reading what methods work for other people.

  6. #5
    edgarf76's Avatar
    edgarf76 is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2013
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    2,196
    Thanks
    804
    Thanked 582 Times in 429 Posts

    Default

    I learnt some Korean while taking martial arts lessons and I also bought an audio workbook to try to understand.
    Visit Play Slots 4 Real Money and Casino Slots Money for trusted recommendations and tips on the best casinos.

  7. #6
    Anthony's Avatar
    Anthony is offline GPWA/APCW Program Director
    Join Date
    June 2003
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    7,294
    Blog Entries
    67
    Thanks
    2,201
    Thanked 3,610 Times in 1,901 Posts

    Default

    I would like to learn Spanish. Just not sure which program is best Babbel or Rosetta Stone.
    I am here to help if you have any issues with an affiliate program.
    Become involved in GPWA to truly make the association your own:
    Apply for Private Membership | Apply for the GPWA Seal | Partner with a GPWA Sponsor | Volunteer as a Moderator


  8. #7
    NoDepositCasinos's Avatar
    NoDepositCasinos is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    November 2022
    Location
    Colombia
    Posts
    1,246
    Thanks
    364
    Thanked 488 Times in 402 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    I would like to learn Spanish. Just not sure which program is best Babbel or Rosetta Stone.
    I've heard good things about Babbel. However, in my experience, nothing compares to pushing yourself to practice with native speakers, whether for personal or work reasons.

    With so many free platforms available nowadays, I wouldn't miss the chance to spend some time every day or every other day talking with people in the language I want to learn about any topic of mutual interest.
    casinobonusnewsletter.com - AMs contact me for deals

    revenueoptimization.io - DM me if you want to be featured in our blog

  9. #8
    newcustomeroffer is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    January 2018
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,369
    Thanks
    237
    Thanked 606 Times in 476 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    I would like to learn Spanish. Just not sure which program is best Babbel or Rosetta Stone.
    I'd like to learn Spanish too, would be the most useful language for holidays and is relatively straightforward compared to others so I'm told.
    For the latest bookmaker new customer offers visit https://www.newcustomeroffer.co.uk/

  10. #9
    wonderpunter's Avatar
    wonderpunter is online now Private Member
    Join Date
    August 2013
    Posts
    3,415
    Blog Entries
    5
    Thanks
    427
    Thanked 2,003 Times in 1,255 Posts

    Default

    I know 2 other languages, really from living in 2 different countries.. Spanish and Portugese the latter was easy to pickup due to learning spanish it's similar in many apsects


  11. #10
    NoDepositCasinos's Avatar
    NoDepositCasinos is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    November 2022
    Location
    Colombia
    Posts
    1,246
    Thanks
    364
    Thanked 488 Times in 402 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wonderpunter View Post
    I know 2 other languages, really from living in 2 different countries.. Spanish and Portugese the latter was easy to pickup due to learning spanish it's similar in many apsects
    That's wonderful! My native language is Spanish, and I have been exposed to Portuguese since I was young, so I can understand it easily. However, I still struggle to speak it fluently. Any advice on how to achieve it besides living in a Portuguese-speaking country and practicing with native speakers?
    casinobonusnewsletter.com - AMs contact me for deals

    revenueoptimization.io - DM me if you want to be featured in our blog

  12. #11
    dannyx is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    November 2019
    Posts
    735
    Thanks
    143
    Thanked 186 Times in 148 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NoDepositCasinos View Post
    That's wonderful! My native language is Spanish, and I have been exposed to Portuguese since I was young, so I can understand it easily. However, I still struggle to speak it fluently. Any advice on how to achieve it besides living in a Portuguese-speaking country and practicing with native speakers?
    Wife from Brazil, Portugal, Angola or Mozambique

  13. #12
    Oliver Cooper's Avatar
    Oliver Cooper is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    January 2022
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    241
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked 39 Times in 32 Posts

    Default

    I agree that the more languages you know the wider your horizons. In my arsenal I have English, elementary level of Italian and Arabic (for me btw one of the most difficult languages cause there are sounds that I physically can`t reproduce)

  14. #13
    NoDepositCasinos's Avatar
    NoDepositCasinos is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    November 2022
    Location
    Colombia
    Posts
    1,246
    Thanks
    364
    Thanked 488 Times in 402 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver Cooper View Post
    I agree that the more languages you know the wider your horizons. In my arsenal I have English, elementary level of Italian and Arabic (for me btw one of the most difficult languages cause there are sounds that I physically can`t reproduce)
    I agree. I've had job opportunities that wouldn't have been possible if I hadn't had at least a basic understanding of another language, not to mention the valuable connections I've made along the way.
    casinobonusnewsletter.com - AMs contact me for deals

    revenueoptimization.io - DM me if you want to be featured in our blog

  15. #14
    kwwriting is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    112
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts

    Default

    @GPWA Nicole: 5 languages? Wow! How great for them.
    I write content, yes I do. Who wants content, how 'bout you? KWWriting

  16. #15
    Pokerface's Avatar
    Pokerface is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    August 2016
    Posts
    3,166
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    691
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 747 Posts

    Default

    Although I have lived in Montreal for a number of years, it has not been the best place to learn French since so many people speak English, and if you try to speak French, they realize you are Anglo, and they revert to English. I can get by with basics if I try. I also lived in Sao Paulo for a couple of years and found it easier to learn since I was forced to learn and speak Portuguese which I enjoyed.
    nousviz.com

    What's Nous?

    StatsDrone now offers Freemium plan to connect up to 30 programs - FREE!.

  17. #16
    kwwriting is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    112
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    I would like to learn Spanish. Just not sure which program is best Babbel or Rosetta Stone.
    A friend of mine went from Rosetta Stone to Babbel and was more satisfied with it.
    I write content, yes I do. Who wants content, how 'bout you? KWWriting

  18. #17
    Ayaka Satou's Avatar
    Ayaka Satou is offline New Member
    Join Date
    February 2020
    Location
    Malta
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    It is always helpful, especially when it comes to expanding your professional strength in the areas of SEO.
    So definitely go for it.

  19. #18
    Oliver Cooper's Avatar
    Oliver Cooper is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    January 2022
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    241
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked 39 Times in 32 Posts

    Default

    Yeah this is one of the few skills that is really useful in absolutely any field

  20. #19
    Join Date
    November 2005
    Posts
    4,507
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    1,920
    Thanked 2,216 Times in 1,278 Posts

    Default

    One of my ex's would always say I'm fluent in BS, after returning from a fishing trip with my mates

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to Former Member 14 For This Useful Post:

    Sherlock (20 August 2024)

  22. #20
    kwwriting is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    112
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AussieDave View Post
    One of my ex's would always say I'm fluent in BS, after returning from a fishing trip with my mates
    BS is a language that seems to come naturally to many.
    I write content, yes I do. Who wants content, how 'bout you? KWWriting

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •