Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    universal4's Avatar
    universal4 is online now Forum Administrator
    Join Date
    July 2003
    Location
    Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. John Wayne
    Posts
    33,988
    Thanks
    4,540
    Thanked 9,297 Times in 5,981 Posts

    Default Few drupal questions

    During some conversations with another member, I was asked a few questions which I am not sure how to answer, since I am unsure if it is drupal that is affecting this or the host. I have never used drupal myself, but do have a little bit of knowledge when it comes to websites and that fancy computer program stuff...usually with names that make no sense with hard to pronounce words and stuff....lol

    The question revolves around the webmaster having difficulty editing the robots text file.

    Does drupal lock down the file, allowing only editing from inside the drupal interface?
    Or would this behavior most likely be that the host possibly set the permissions on that file?

    Rick
    Universal4

  2. #2
    Christiaan's Avatar
    Christiaan is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    February 2013
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    1,279
    Thanks
    183
    Thanked 486 Times in 336 Posts

    Default

    I'm an advanced Drupal (7) user/programmer. I use it for most of my own websites and websites for customers.

    I never had any problems editing the robots file. It must be something the hosting does.

    Which version of Drupal is he using?

    Feel free to ask me more questions regarding Drupal.

  3. #3
    universal4's Avatar
    universal4 is online now Forum Administrator
    Join Date
    July 2003
    Location
    Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. John Wayne
    Posts
    33,988
    Thanks
    4,540
    Thanked 9,297 Times in 5,981 Posts

    Default

    Thanks Christian, I had already determined that it was something other than drupal causing this, but asked just in case it was an odd thing that an install did based upon a security plugin or whatever.

    I do not know what version it is, but will ask.

    I also wonder if it is something simple like file permissions on the file itself that could be changed any time an edit is needed.

    Rick
    Universal4

  4. #4
    Christiaan's Avatar
    Christiaan is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    February 2013
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    1,279
    Thanks
    183
    Thanked 486 Times in 336 Posts

    Default

    It is strange that he can't edit the robots file. Does he have all permissions on the other files? He can't change the permissions for robots.txt?

    It is not that the robots file can hurt the server or anything for the hosting. It is a simple text file.

  5. #5
    universal4's Avatar
    universal4 is online now Forum Administrator
    Join Date
    July 2003
    Location
    Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. John Wayne
    Posts
    33,988
    Thanks
    4,540
    Thanked 9,297 Times in 5,981 Posts

    Default

    I sent him a note after your last response requesting more information.

    I also suggested that it might be simple file permissions.

    Rick
    Universal4

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •