Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    TravG's Avatar
    TravG is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    September 2008
    Posts
    2,069
    Thanks
    34
    Thanked 179 Times in 131 Posts

    Default FileZilla and htaccess

    So I was trying to update my htaccess file via FileZilla and for some strange reason it won't let me. I have done this a million times so I dont understand why now all of the sudden I cant do it. When I open the website with FileZilla and right click the htaccess file and click view/edit it will not even open the file and in the summary box or the area where FileZilla shows what is going on it says in red letters, "critical file transfer error". So I cannot even open the file to edit it. So to work around it I had to create a new htaccess file and then upload it to my website and delete the old one. While that works it is kind of a pain that will have to do that every time I need to update my htaccess file.

    Anyone have any idea why all of the sudden I cant do this? I have copied and pasted the summary from FileZilla below to show what it is saying. What I have as bold is in red in FileZilla.

    Command: PASV
    Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx)
    Command: RETR .htaccess
    Response: 500 Unknown command.
    Error: Critical file transfer error
    Status: Disconnected from server

    Thanks for any help!
    Live Casino USA - the best USA live online casinos. Play USA online slots and other casino games like USA online blackjack. Play See USAlegalcasinos.com to find the best USA online casino. Want to play USA online poker? Find the best poker sites at 4DeucesPoker.com.

  2. #2
    universal4's Avatar
    universal4 is online now Forum Administrator
    Join Date
    July 2003
    Location
    Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. John Wayne
    Posts
    33,991
    Thanks
    4,543
    Thanked 9,297 Times in 5,981 Posts

    Default

    Travis I removed the ip from your post.

    That is strange, it sounds like something is protecting it in some way. Have you loaded any new plugins that maybe write to the htaccess file?

    Rick
    Universal4

  3. #3
    DanHorvat's Avatar
    DanHorvat is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    November 2008
    Location
    Actual location may vary.
    Posts
    1,994
    Blog Entries
    3
    Thanks
    1,418
    Thanked 1,319 Times in 783 Posts

    Default

    Some security plugin perhaps? Protecting the htaccess file among other things?
    Professional bizdev can help you, the affiliate, to negotiate better terms with casinos. PM for details and a free evaluation of what I can do for you. All geos.

  4. #4
    TravG's Avatar
    TravG is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    September 2008
    Posts
    2,069
    Thanks
    34
    Thanked 179 Times in 131 Posts

    Default

    I havent added any plugins to this site for a long time and I know I edited the file not to long ago. It is definitely weird. I kind of wondered if it was hacked at first but unfortunately I deleted the old htaccess file that was there so I cant look to see if the affiliate links were changed.

    I did notice a folder that just appeared and it was a folder named www.nonumber.nl that I never noticed before. It says it is empty and when I looked at that url it is a website for Joomla extensions. I deleted it but the damage may have been done??
    Live Casino USA - the best USA live online casinos. Play USA online slots and other casino games like USA online blackjack. Play See USAlegalcasinos.com to find the best USA online casino. Want to play USA online poker? Find the best poker sites at 4DeucesPoker.com.

  5. #5
    justbookies is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    September 2009
    Posts
    1,289
    Thanks
    527
    Thanked 864 Times in 513 Posts

    Default

    I am no expert with this but, as has been said, some security plugins like ithemes security will change the permissions of the .htaccess file to protect it. If you ftp to see the remote .htaccess file and right click on it then maybe you can "change permissions" so that it is writable.

  6. #6
    Christiaan's Avatar
    Christiaan is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    February 2013
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    1,279
    Thanks
    183
    Thanked 486 Times in 336 Posts

    Default

    This doesn't sound good. Be careful what will happen. Check for new folders and files daily. If new folders keeps coming, like you said, the damage may have been done already.

    I'm not an expert in server security either. What I suggest you could do is to remove all default files and re-upload clean ones. You could do this for the main installation, plugins, theme...
    If the database is infected it will be much harder to get rid of it.

    You say that you have removed the .htaccess file. Were you able to upload a new one?

    Good luck!

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Christiaan For This Useful Post:

    -Shay- (7 November 2014)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •