Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    vardan's Avatar
    vardan is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2014
    Location
    Barcelona, Spain
    Posts
    430
    Thanks
    378
    Thanked 231 Times in 156 Posts

    Post "Stop words" in the domain name

    Hi,

    What do you think about "stop words" like all, best, get, go in domain names? I have registered a domain name for a new website, which has a stop word in the beginning, so I am a bit worried if this could affect the rankings. I had no idea that there was one in my domain name.

    There are different opinions about this, also a never-ending "war" between brandable and exact match domain supporters, but I would like to know if you have any expierence or any studies about this issue.

    Thank you.

  2. #2
    MJM
    MJM is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    November 2010
    Posts
    961
    Thanks
    189
    Thanked 550 Times in 318 Posts

    Default

    When will people stop being so simple minded about exact vs brandable, one can be the other and vice versa. You don't think casino.com is brandable? I find this argument completely ridiculous, the only thing that changed with exact match was it's not an easily exploitable BONUS any more.

    Personally I think anyone taking this business seriously should be willing to invest in a very high quality, easy to remember, domain. Whether that is a keyword domain, a so called "brandable" domain, or a blend of both (my favorite) - doesn't really matter. Domain should identify who you are and what you do, as short and catchy as possible.

    Whether that's slotsmaster or onlineslots .com - doesn't matter all that much in my opinion (although full disclosure regardless of what google says I still think a strong exact match helps in the serps, others disagree). Just don't go for thebestonlineslotsforpeopleingermanyusingpaypal.co m and you should be good to go
    Last edited by MJM; 7 May 2017 at 9:52 am.

  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MJM For This Useful Post:

    allaboutthebets (11 May 2017), sweetbet (7 May 2017), vardan (7 May 2017)

  4. #3
    vardan's Avatar
    vardan is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2014
    Location
    Barcelona, Spain
    Posts
    430
    Thanks
    378
    Thanked 231 Times in 156 Posts

    Default

    Well, I guess never, because always will be beginners and experienced

    When you want to start a new venture, issues like this and contradictory opinions can bother and one of the best features of our forum is that you can always ask other specialists to help you in your decisions.

    Thanks for reply and advice.

  5. #4
    sweetbet's Avatar
    sweetbet is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    November 2012
    Posts
    2,824
    Blog Entries
    5
    Thanks
    898
    Thanked 1,574 Times in 1,086 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MJM View Post
    Just don't go for thebestonlineslotsforpeopleingermanyusingpaypal.co m and you should be good to go
    LOL Thank you for the laugh

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to sweetbet For This Useful Post:

    allaboutthebets (11 May 2017)

  7. #5
    Top Domains's Avatar
    Top Domains is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    December 2016
    Posts
    344
    Thanks
    67
    Thanked 123 Times in 94 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MJM View Post
    When will people stop being so simple minded about exact vs brandable, one can be the other and vice versa. You don't think casino.com is brandable? I find this argument completely ridiculous
    LOL, and that's as priceless as a great exact match and a great brandable. But exact match does have the intrinsic edge especially since it can serve as the brand as well, which you've pointed out so well with the casino.com example...

    Quote Originally Posted by MJM View Post
    the only thing that changed with exact match was it's not an easily exploitable BONUS any more.
    So succinctly well put... (Struggle with long-windedness myself.)

    Quote Originally Posted by MJM View Post
    Personally I think anyone taking this business seriously should be willing to invest in a very high quality, easy to remember, domain.
    Indeed.

    Quote Originally Posted by MJM View Post
    as short and catchy as possible
    See what I've written here before on the question of long vs. short (in my struggles with long-windedness alluded to above - see my sig link to prior posts).

    Online gambling is a huge and remarkable exception to any general ideas about that, which may often be valid or invalid depending on the quality of a specific domain. There are also various outright myths, miconceptions, and even self-interested bias on the matter. There can only be an infinitesimal basket of a few like casino.com, poker.com, slots.com, etc., but in this particular lucrative online industry there are many other types and lengths that are worth a fortune to end users.

    Speaking of which, some of the biggest reported domain sales of all time have been for longer ones. My company even has a very long six word domain that once had a real $6.7 million bid on it.

    Quote Originally Posted by MJM View Post
    (although full disclosure regardless of what google says I still think a strong exact match helps in the serps, others disagree)
    Would hate to be without one personally.

    Quote Originally Posted by vardan View Post
    Hi,

    What do you think about "stop words" like all, best, get, go in domain names? I have registered a domain name for a new website, which has a stop word in the beginning, so I am a bit worried if this could affect the rankings. I had no idea that there was one in my domain name.

    There are different opinions about this, also a never-ending "war" between brandable and exact match domain supporters, but I would like to know if you have any expierence or any studies about this issue.

    Thank you.
    The war is over: exact match wins, especially when it functions as both exact match and as brand. Hybrid EMD/brandable can also be great and worth a fortune depending on quality and use. The war only still exists in the mind of those who seem to have some kind of axe to grind as well as a really hugely distorted bit if misinformation they've been fed and swallowed about EMD and search engines. Really great "pure brandables" are actually quite rare, and there are not really that many great hybrid emd/brandables either.

    As far as stop words go, it really depends on the overall quality of the specific domain you have in mind. For example, "GoGambling.com" or "GoGamble.com" are clearly top uses of stop words. "GoBetOnSlots.com," however, while it may be quite clear and understandable, well let's face it - it's junk.

    I've mentioned this before, but good idea to search for and read this article from November among others: "The Extreme Power Of Generic Domain Names" (DotWeekly).
    Last edited by Top Domains; 8 May 2017 at 1:52 am.

  8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Top Domains For This Useful Post:

    alin04 (8 May 2017), allaboutthebets (11 May 2017), vardan (8 May 2017)

  9. #6
    Aidan90's Avatar
    Aidan90 is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    September 2015
    Posts
    435
    Thanks
    108
    Thanked 149 Times in 111 Posts

    Default

    The concept of 'stop words' is something I've always ignored. There's plenty of other factors that are so much more important when it comes to URLs - as mentioned in the great posts above!

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Aidan90 For This Useful Post:

    vardan (8 May 2017)

  11. #7
    PromoteCasino is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    June 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,114
    Thanks
    1,069
    Thanked 489 Times in 333 Posts

    Default

    Hi Top Domains,

    What do you think of the domain probettingtips.com Would that be beneficial?
    BettingOffers.bet - Latest offers and bonuses from reputable UK bookmakers. A New project underway but a long way to go Bookie Rewards

  12. #8
    vardan's Avatar
    vardan is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2014
    Location
    Barcelona, Spain
    Posts
    430
    Thanks
    378
    Thanked 231 Times in 156 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Domains View Post
    As far as stop words go, it really depends on the overall quality of the specific domain you have in mind. For example, "GoGambling.com" or "GoGamble.com" are clearly top uses of stop words. "GoBetOnSlots.com," however, while it may be quite clear and understandable, well let's face it - it's junk.
    Your posts on domain names are always a good read: well explained, with examples and facts. Thank you.

    So if the domain name begins with the word "just" and the rest is an exact match term, will search engines ignore the first word and let the domain name to rank if it were a normal exact match domain(the quality of the website is a different topic)? I am not posting the name, because I have 2 options and still I have not decided which one to choose.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to vardan For This Useful Post:

    Top Domains (8 May 2017)

  14. #9
    vardan's Avatar
    vardan is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2014
    Location
    Barcelona, Spain
    Posts
    430
    Thanks
    378
    Thanked 231 Times in 156 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PromoteCasino View Post
    Hi Top Domains,

    What do you think of the domain probettingtips.com Would that be beneficial?
    You have not ask me, but ... Before discovering these stop words I would say that it is a good name, but now I am not sure. I have read that it even metters where is located the stop word: in the beginning or the end of the name.

  15. #10
    PromoteCasino is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    June 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,114
    Thanks
    1,069
    Thanked 489 Times in 333 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vardan View Post
    You have not ask me, but ... Before discovering these stop words I would say that it is a good name, but now I am not sure. I have read that it even metters where is located the stop word: in the beginning or the end of the name.
    Sorry Vardan, no offence meant hijacking the thread. I just thought that TD seem's to know a lot on the subject and he would be in a better position to gauge the name. I too would be interested if the stop word would be better at the front or end!!!
    BettingOffers.bet - Latest offers and bonuses from reputable UK bookmakers. A New project underway but a long way to go Bookie Rewards

  16. #11
    vardan's Avatar
    vardan is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2014
    Location
    Barcelona, Spain
    Posts
    430
    Thanks
    378
    Thanked 231 Times in 156 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PromoteCasino View Post
    Sorry Vardan, no offence meant hijacking the thread. I just thought that TD seem's to know a lot on the subject and he would be in a better position to gauge the name. I too would be interested if the stop word would be better at the front or end!!!
    I meant you have not ask my opinion about the domain, it was a hijacking from my part, sorry

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to vardan For This Useful Post:

    PromoteCasino (8 May 2017)

  18. #12
    MJM
    MJM is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    November 2010
    Posts
    961
    Thanks
    189
    Thanked 550 Times in 318 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PromoteCasino View Post
    Hi Top Domains,

    What do you think of the domain probettingtips.com Would that be beneficial?
    Great example of a good modifier - bettingtips.com is likely unattainable, or at least for most affiliates who can't drop six figures or more on a domain - pro is related, and brandable, and makes good use of the desired key words.

    Personally I think that's a great domain for that market.

  19. #13
    PromoteCasino is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    June 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,114
    Thanks
    1,069
    Thanked 489 Times in 333 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MJM View Post
    Great example of a good modifier - bettingtips.com is likely unattainable, or at least for most affiliates who can't drop six figures or more on a domain - pro is related, and brandable, and makes good use of the desired key words.

    Personally I think that's a great domain for that market.
    I was surprised it was available, so snapped it up just for the future
    BettingOffers.bet - Latest offers and bonuses from reputable UK bookmakers. A New project underway but a long way to go Bookie Rewards

  20. #14
    Top Domains's Avatar
    Top Domains is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    December 2016
    Posts
    344
    Thanks
    67
    Thanked 123 Times in 94 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PromoteCasino View Post
    Hi Top Domains,

    What do you think of the domain probettingtips.com Would that be beneficial?
    I really have to agree with what MJM wrote. In a world where BettingTips.com itself is already taken and may be hard to obtain, ProBettingTips.com is a strong and solid alternative for that niche. It's no surprise it has existed almost 17 years now.

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to Top Domains For This Useful Post:

    PromoteCasino (8 May 2017)

  22. #15
    Top Domains's Avatar
    Top Domains is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    December 2016
    Posts
    344
    Thanks
    67
    Thanked 123 Times in 94 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vardan View Post
    Your posts on domain names are always a good read: well explained, with examples and facts. Thank you.
    Thanks vardan.

    Quote Originally Posted by vardan View Post
    So if the domain name begins with the word "just" and the rest is an exact match term, will search engines ignore the first word and let the domain name to rank if it were a normal exact match domain(the quality of the website is a different topic)? I am not posting the name, because I have 2 options and still I have not decided which one to choose.
    I wish I could give an insider's view answer on that specific question regarding what search engines will do in that case, but frankly I cannot, and neither could any other person operating in the domain name industry. However, I can tell you there is far more to be concerned about in addition to what the SE's will do, and that is the "real life" human factor.

    Each domain, especially ones "contrived" like that, have to be evaluated with a human perspective for quality and appeal. If the domain is awkward or unappealing from a human perspective, then you have a problem. I can't tell you how many times, for instance, I have looked at my own traffic stats in the past when I was publishing more actively, and pleasantly found that apparently people were choosing to visit some of my (unbelievably poorly made, absurdly virtually devoid of content in comparison to others) sites from search even though some of them ranked further down than others on page 1 of Google or some other SE. (Just imagine if I had actually made a nicer site and put a nice amount of solid content on it.) It seemed to be a compelling inference when I would see such things that the authority of the domain itself is what naturally attracted people to at least take a look. It was like, "so even though there are some really spectacularly made sites further up that clearly must have required a lot of effort and expense to produce, and really are quite nice, this visitor is still going to skip down the page to check out mine, how about that."

    And that and more is the power and appeal to a real human person of the best domain names. I would do it myself as well; for instance, if I saw Casino.com or a top best long two, three or four word domain site ten sites down the search results page, I would still be very interested in checking it out. And I certainly experienced results regardless of how poorly I was actually using the domains vis-à-vis publishing actual content. And make no mistake, I do have better plans for the future regarding my past publishing habits.

    When it comes to the word "just" specifically I would be especially careful, however. It seems that one could easily become too contrived or too awkward depending on the specific domain, though no doubt a few nice ones exist. I really like "JustPoker.com" for instance.
    Last edited by Top Domains; 8 May 2017 at 11:49 am.

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to Top Domains For This Useful Post:

    vardan (8 May 2017)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •