Thread: German botnet

-Shay- is offline Public Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,134 Times in 1,686 Posts

Default German botnet

Interesting article regarding a botnet controlled by someone in Germany.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to -Shay- For This Useful Post:

DaftDog (23 August 2016), Moonlight Cat (23 August 2016), Roulette Zeitung (24 August 2016), TheGooner (23 August 2016)

TheGooner is online now Private Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,211 Times in 2,004 Posts

Interesting.

I do note co-ordinated hits from a group of German ip addresses (say 50 pages in 5 seconds) from time to time.

universal4 is online now Forum Administrator
    Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. John Wayne
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,923 Times in 4,996 Posts

Very interesting article but shows a portion of why this stuff is not reduced.

Until a commenter convinced them
    They did NOT plan to contact law enforcement in Germany.
    They did NOT plan to contact the FBI.
    They did NOT plan to contact Interpol.

The command and control server continues, and more people are hacked every day from this botnet, and of course that also means that more people LOSE money every day because of this botnet.

My guess is that if in fact THEY were hacked because of a botnet, or if THEY lost money because of a hack from a botnet, they would be upset and want the botnet shut down.

However, they forensically came up with a LOT of information that the FBI/Interpol/German Law Enforcement could really use to help reduce thew amount of botnet traffic, even if for a short period.

And who knows, this particular botnet may or may not be one of the many involved in the hacks against certain governments, certain political parties, or the millions of hacked websites around the world.

But that's ok, they wrote a nice article about how they hacked a hacker, but were quite happy to allow hackers to continue to steal and hack away.

They claimed after the fact, in the comments that did report it to German authorities, but in my opinion, they should have contacted the FBI immediately once they cracked the password. My guess is that their email inbox as well as social media accounts blew up after the article was published with a strong leaning toward reporting them.

Rick
    Universal4

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to universal4 For This Useful Post:

-Shay- (23 August 2016), Roulette Zeitung (24 August 2016)