Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 49 of 49
  1. #41
    TheBoyMitchell is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2008
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    577
    Thanks
    280
    Thanked 299 Times in 189 Posts

    Default

    5 pages in and no-one has noticed that Grammar is spelt wrong in the title

  2. #42
    Nandakishore's Avatar
    Nandakishore is offline In Memorium, 1935-2014
    Join Date
    December 2006
    Location
    In Germany near Munich
    Posts
    2,104
    Blog Entries
    5
    Thanks
    931
    Thanked 496 Times in 367 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBoyMitchell View Post
    5 pages in and no-one has noticed that Grammar is spelt wrong in the title
    Oh my God! Don't you start now with spelling mistakes. We are having enough stuff to handle with articles, vowels, consonants and prepositions!

  3. #43
    mojo's Avatar
    mojo is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2005
    Posts
    4,985
    Thanks
    1,933
    Thanked 1,885 Times in 1,223 Posts

    Default



    I actually looked up in the dictionary how to spell quandaries. Figures!

  4. #44
    slotplayer is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    September 2006
    Posts
    1,044
    Thanks
    198
    Thanked 322 Times in 252 Posts

    Default

    I just spell the word as best I can and then paste it in to the browser toolbar search box. In the case of Grammer, Google magically replies did you mean "Grammar" ?

    Perhaps someone can answer this?
    Why does, when someone learns Engish as a second language, they never pluralize?

    Most noticeability, in the case of money, they always say 5 dollar instead of 5 dollars

    Is the phonetics of the "s" sound difficult to form?

  5. #45
    Renee's Avatar
    Renee is offline Sponsor Affiliate Program
    Join Date
    August 2005
    Posts
    9,072
    Blog Entries
    6
    Thanks
    6,642
    Thanked 3,543 Times in 2,206 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBoyMitchell View Post
    5 pages in and no-one has noticed that Grammar is spelt wrong in the title
    I did notice that but didn't comment because the thread was about grammar and not spelling :P

    slotplayer, I also noticed that people don't pluralise when they are speaking English as their second language.

    I have also noticed that people who's first language is one that uses masculine and feminines also call things in English he or she. Like if they are talking about the table they will refer to it as her or she rather than it or the. I think that's funny sometimes. It's also something that I think would have to be easy about learning English though. In English there is no difference between endings and pronunciation or the word before words because they do not have a gender assigned to them. For example, in English, a male and female dog is always known as "a dog" or "the dog". The word dog never changes depending on its gender, nor does the word "the" or "a", whereas in some languages it will. "The" also stays the same in plural form. The dog, The dogs.

    For example, in French. The dog (le chien) changes both words when pluralised (les chiens). The word for male and female dog differs though and if you are talking about a single dog, the word before dog also is different:
    un chien (m)
    une chienne (f)
    les chiens (2+ m)
    les chiennes (2+ f)

    We also say the dogs whether they are male, female or mixed, whereas in French the word is different depending on which gender they are, or if they are mixed it takes on the male word.

    Although it's pretty easy to remember, it's just a small example.

    The other thing is that in English, most plurals just stick an s on the end of the word. Whereas in some languages the whole end of the word changes.

    An eg of male and female word differences in French: berger à bergère, chanteur à chanteuse, acteur à actrice, fameux à fameuse.

    This is actually very interesting. I love learning new things about languages. I think the key to learning a language is to learn the rules properly. That makes it easy I think.
    __________________
    Renee, Affiliate Program Manager
    http://www.RewardsAffiliates.com
    Affiliate Program for CasinoRewards.com
    Best Affiliate Manager - CAP Awards 2008
    Best Casino Affiliate Manager - CAP Awards 2009
    Best Casino Affiliate Manager - iGB Affiliate Awards 2010

  6. #46
    slotplayer is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    September 2006
    Posts
    1,044
    Thanks
    198
    Thanked 322 Times in 252 Posts

    Default

    We also say the dogs whether they are male, female or mixed, whereas in French the word is different depending on which gender they are, or if they are mixed it takes on the male word.
    I believe Russian is like that also but maybe someone can verify.
    About 12 years ago I would listen to Russian tapes everyday on my way to work (made the ride seem much longer.) The only thing I can remember how to say is "this is my friend".

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to slotplayer For This Useful Post:

    Renee (27 May 2009)

  8. #47
    TheBoyMitchell is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2008
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    577
    Thanks
    280
    Thanked 299 Times in 189 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Renee View Post
    I did notice that but didn't comment because the thread was about grammar and not spelling :P
    *wotevah*

  9. #48
    vinism's Avatar
    vinism is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    October 2006
    Location
    Imported from Detroit
    Posts
    1,209
    Blog Entries
    4
    Thanks
    428
    Thanked 337 Times in 173 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBoyMitchell View Post
    5 pages in and no-one has noticed that Grammar is spelt wrong in the title
    It's the first thing I noticed. But I it looked like a typo and this thread was about grammar so I figured no harm, no foul.

    For me, the most difficult thing for to grasp while learning a new language is situational use of verb tenses. The number verb tense seems to vary from language to language, and it drives me nuts.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to vinism For This Useful Post:

    Renee (27 May 2009)

  11. #49
    Renee's Avatar
    Renee is offline Sponsor Affiliate Program
    Join Date
    August 2005
    Posts
    9,072
    Blog Entries
    6
    Thanks
    6,642
    Thanked 3,543 Times in 2,206 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vinism View Post
    It's the first thing I noticed. But I it looked like a typo and this thread was about grammar so I figured no harm, no foul.

    For me, the most difficult thing for to grasp while learning a new language is situational use of verb tenses. The number verb tense seems to vary from language to language, and it drives me nuts.
    Hey vin you got an example?
    __________________
    Renee, Affiliate Program Manager
    http://www.RewardsAffiliates.com
    Affiliate Program for CasinoRewards.com
    Best Affiliate Manager - CAP Awards 2008
    Best Casino Affiliate Manager - CAP Awards 2009
    Best Casino Affiliate Manager - iGB Affiliate Awards 2010

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •