Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27
  1. #1
    nvc
    nvc is offline Restricted Account
    Join Date
    September 2022
    Posts
    48
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    Default Do you add rel "sponsored" to your affiliate links

    So according to the latest Google update anyone adding aff link to their site should use the rel=sponsored tag. I saw this here.
    I am using ThirstyAffiliates plugin and add nofollow to all my affiliate links.
    Do you think it's good idea to add "sponsored" tag to my links? Does anybody do that?

  2. #2
    dannyx is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    November 2019
    Posts
    735
    Thanks
    143
    Thanked 186 Times in 148 Posts

    Default

    I use the same plug-in. In the free version as of now.
    I use no-follow. I read about it, but for now I leave it the old way. However, I don't know if it can affect anything.

  3. #3
    chaumi is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    October 2013
    Location
    East Midlands
    Posts
    1,640
    Thanks
    570
    Thanked 840 Times in 617 Posts

    Default

    I'll assume this question is because you want to do what Google say they want (and there is nothing wrong with that).

    imho You'll get varied opinions on this. But (likely) none will really know the true answer, and maybe Google themselves don't really know (or really care) either.

    So...just go search any gambling term...look at the affiliate sites in the top 10...and see how they've done it (right click, view source, look at the links). It's a fair bet that (until or if they change the algorithm) whatever is done now by the majority will continue to be OK.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to chaumi For This Useful Post:

    dannyx (20 December 2022)

  5. #4
    TheGooner's Avatar
    TheGooner is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    4,565
    Thanks
    2,092
    Thanked 4,536 Times in 2,177 Posts

    Default

    Yes - I use rel=sponsored for direct affiliate links.

    It accurately reflects the nature of the link - and given that GOOGLE is the biggest online earner on the planet from advertising they can hardly be penalising people who are making a buck from advertising (IMO).

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGooner For This Useful Post:

    elgoog (23 December 2022)

  7. #5
    newcustomeroffer is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    January 2018
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,366
    Thanks
    237
    Thanked 604 Times in 475 Posts

    Default

    Some comment from Google on the matter on this thread: https://www.gpwa.org/forum/google-sa...up-259520.html
    For the latest bookmaker new customer offers visit https://www.newcustomeroffer.co.uk/

  8. #6
    PaulEchere's Avatar
    PaulEchere is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    June 2020
    Posts
    731
    Thanks
    70
    Thanked 230 Times in 179 Posts

    Default

    I do set them as no-follow, however haven't used the sponsored tag. Same as with the thread referenced above and a couple of other places, I read that it shouldn't make a difference, so didn't do it.

  9. #7
    casionmark is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    November 2016
    Posts
    473
    Thanks
    353
    Thanked 128 Times in 95 Posts

    Default

    FYI -

    Those guidelines have been in place at least since summer 2021. They are not new:

    https://developers.google.com/search...nk-spam-update

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to casionmark For This Useful Post:

    big fish (29 December 2022)

  11. #8
    universal4's Avatar
    universal4 is online now Forum Administrator
    Join Date
    July 2003
    Location
    Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. John Wayne
    Posts
    33,989
    Thanks
    4,540
    Thanked 9,297 Times in 5,981 Posts

    Default

    I admit to not having changed any links over to "sponsored" and use mostly nofollow, but do folks use both sponsored and no follow tag?

    Besides the disgusting practice of bots and scrapers refusing to follow directives, will removing nofollow result in even more skewed click stats due to bots etc following more affiliate links?

    Rick
    Universal4

  12. #9
    Ikasaman's Avatar
    Ikasaman is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    December 2022
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    I used both sponsored tag + nofollow for external links except for external links to some authoritative sites.
    I suggest you checking the google quality guideline for more details. But yes it is worth doing what google says in the guideline.

  13. #10
    achko is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    November 2018
    Posts
    18
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    We did tests about this -> no change whatsoever in rankings so its up to you. Personally I prefer to use nofollow, simply because I do not want to make Google`s work to identify monetarization links easier.

  14. #11
    CasinoComparador is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    January 2023
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post

    Default

    I havent added the sponsored tag, but i tried in several rankings trying to understand potential changes...

    ... And i havent seen any increase/decrease so far. As it's still early (2 months since i tried), i will share with you if i see any change.

    P.S: from my point of view, it is not going to be a big deal and maybe we would keep the "nofollow" and nothing else.

  15. #12
    edgarf76's Avatar
    edgarf76 is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2013
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    2,196
    Thanks
    804
    Thanked 582 Times in 429 Posts

    Default

    I use no follow but I have been considering starting to add rel=sponsored to some links to see if there is any effect. I wouldn't do it sitewide right away.
    Visit Play Slots 4 Real Money and Casino Slots Money for trusted recommendations and tips on the best casinos.

  16. #13
    Nicole Goodwin's Avatar
    Nicole Goodwin is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    October 2022
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    88
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 12 Times in 8 Posts

    Default

    At least "sponsored" sounds much clearer than "nofollow"

  17. #14
    universal4's Avatar
    universal4 is online now Forum Administrator
    Join Date
    July 2003
    Location
    Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. John Wayne
    Posts
    33,989
    Thanks
    4,540
    Thanked 9,297 Times in 5,981 Posts

    Default

    I have not started using the sponsored tag yet but have considered it.

    The sad thing is even when using the nofollow tag, very few scrapers follow that directive, just like so many ignore the robots.txt

    Rick
    Universal4

  18. #15
    LowFlyingBird's Avatar
    LowFlyingBird is offline Sponsor Affiliate Program
    Join Date
    July 2018
    Posts
    215
    Thanks
    120
    Thanked 122 Times in 88 Posts

    Default

    If you are buying links you want it to be "nofollow" and natural.

    If it's a paid PR piece on your homepage for a temporary timeframe then I guess it makes sense to tag as "sponsored".

    Not sure if Google cares much either way.

  19. #16
    gambler0401 is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    January 2023
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    i use nofollow but i don't know about it

  20. #17
    Oliver Cooper's Avatar
    Oliver Cooper is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    January 2022
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    241
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked 39 Times in 32 Posts

    Default

    "Sponsored" supposed to work much better in my opinion

  21. #18
    Nicole Goodwin's Avatar
    Nicole Goodwin is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    October 2022
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    88
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 12 Times in 8 Posts

    Default

    I don't think Google cares at all. Here already the author must distinguish between these links

  22. #19
    BrazilTom is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2021
    Posts
    14
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    I think if you are using a plugin like Thirsty Affiliates, it is better to have them as nofollow. TA cloaks the links right, so the link will look something like yourwebsite.com/goto/123casino. Then after it 301's to the tracker. As the TA link is effectively an internal link, I think it is too risky from an SEO perspective to mark it as 'sponsored', so 'nofollow' would be better.

    With direct affiliate links on the other hand, I would be more tempted to go with 'sponsored'

  23. #20
    outreach_nätcasino is offline Brand New Member
    Join Date
    December 2022
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    May I ask why don't you think Google care?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •