Yesterday Google announced a new version of the removals report. You can see the announcement here:

Google Webmaster Central Blog: New Removals report in Search Console

One type of removal is a temporary removal. As noted in the announcement "A temporary removal request is a way to remove specific content on your site from Google Search results. For example, if you have a URL that you need to take off Google Search quickly, you should use this tool. A successful request lasts about six months, which should be enough for you to find a permanent solution. You have two types of requests available: 1) Temporary remove URL will hide the URL from Google Search results for about six months and clear the cached copy of the page and 2) Clear cache URL clears the cached page and wipes out the page description snippet in Search results until the page is crawled again."

Personally, I've used the removal request tool periodically over the years. I wouldn't be surprised if I average using it once every six months. A typical example might be an inappropriate post by someone in the forum of personal information about a third party that violates forum rules. In such a case we will remove the offending material from the post. And, if the post has been indexed and is showing up in search results, and we receive a complaint that the information is visible in search results, then I will typically use the temporary removal request to clear the outdated cached version of the page until such time as the updated page has been recrawled.

For this week's poll I ask if you have ever used the temporary removals request service provided in search console. Besides voting in the poll, I invite you to share reasons you have or have not decided to use the temporary removals tool.

The updated report also provides information about outdated content reported to Google by the general public as well as a SafeSearch filtering section that shows a history of pages on your site that were reported by the public as adult content.

Michael