View Poll Results: How often do you go fishing?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • I've never fished.

    4 12.50%
  • I've gone fishing just once.

    6 18.75%
  • I've gone fishing just twice.

    1 3.13%
  • I've gone fishing 3 to 5 times.

    3 9.38%
  • I've gone fishing 6 to 10 times.

    0 0%
  • I've gone fishing 11 to 25 times.

    2 6.25%
  • I've gone fishing 26 to 50 times,

    2 6.25%
  • I've gone fishing 51 to 100 times.

    2 6.25%
  • I've gone fishing more than 100 times.

    12 37.50%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
  1. #1
    MichaelCorfman's Avatar
    MichaelCorfman is offline GPWA Executive Director
    Join Date
    June 2004
    Location
    Newton, MA
    Posts
    4,702
    Thanks
    1,089
    Thanked 6,365 Times in 2,041 Posts

    Question How often do you go fishing?

    Well, I'm on vacation this week (more or less, mostly more), so time to relax a bit.

    Tomorrow morning I'm getting up early to go out on the ocean salmon fishing. The boat leaves the dock at 6am sharp. The weather is supposed to be great, and the word from today is that fishing was good, although the sea was a bit rough. There will be four of us - my wife, Sylvia and son and daughter Bryan and Emma are also heading out early in the morning.

    So, for this week's poll, I thought I would ask how many fellow webmasters also enjoy fishing. And if you do, how often you hang out the "gone fishing" sign.

    Be sure to share you fish stories with the rest of us as well. I'll share what happened on our trip once we are back, hopefully with a cooler full of salmon.

    Michael
    GPWA Executive Director, Casino City CEO, Friend to the Village Idiot
    Resources for Affiliates: iGamingDirectory.com, iGamingAffiliatePrograms.com, GamingMeets.com

  2. #2
    Renee's Avatar
    Renee is offline Sponsor Affiliate Program
    Join Date
    August 2005
    Posts
    9,072
    Blog Entries
    6
    Thanks
    6,642
    Thanked 3,543 Times in 2,206 Posts

    Default

    The last time I went fishing was when I was about 7 years old. We had hand reels fishing off a jetty. My dad cast and the prawn and hook went straight through the top of my left ear.

    There is still a lump where it went through. If you remind me I will let you feel it in Barcelona

    Anyway, never been fishing again and never will..
    It's a mans sport.
    __________________
    Renee, Affiliate Program Manager
    http://www.RewardsAffiliates.com
    Affiliate Program for CasinoRewards.com
    Best Affiliate Manager - CAP Awards 2008
    Best Casino Affiliate Manager - CAP Awards 2009
    Best Casino Affiliate Manager - iGB Affiliate Awards 2010

  3. #3
    AWH-Gemma's Avatar
    AWH-Gemma is offline Former AM
    Join Date
    August 2010
    Location
    Malta
    Posts
    346
    Thanks
    59
    Thanked 93 Times in 75 Posts

    Default

    I have only been fishing once, I really enjoyed it but I'm not sure whether it was the actual fishing I enjoyed or just the sitting in the sunshine drinking beer. I failed to catch anything So can you really call it fishing? It was more like feeding the fish

  4. #4
    davemerry's Avatar
    davemerry is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    June 2010
    Location
    London
    Posts
    751
    Thanks
    332
    Thanked 230 Times in 182 Posts

    Default

    I went camping and fishing for a night last month for the first time, I didn't expect much to be honest and had no real interest in fishing even when I got there. But as soon as the line, which had been pretty much all done for me, had a tug I was hooked. Although I definitely need a few more practices before I can start casting out without being laughed at!

  5. #5
    xecutable's Avatar
    xecutable is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2011
    Location
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Posts
    1,979
    Thanks
    583
    Thanked 1,225 Times in 708 Posts

    Default

    Last year, haven't had a chance to go this year. Never fished in salt water, always in lakes and rivers. While drinking beer and sitting on a rock waiting, is relaxing and fun, a somewhat big fish, taking off with your fishing pole isn't . Make sure you keep an eye on it, as by the time I reacted last year, my fishing pole was somewhere in deep waters

  6. #6
    davemerry's Avatar
    davemerry is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    June 2010
    Location
    London
    Posts
    751
    Thanks
    332
    Thanked 230 Times in 182 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xecutable View Post
    Never fished in salt water, always in lakes and rivers. While drinking beer
    Best way to do it!

  7. #7
    xecutable's Avatar
    xecutable is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2011
    Location
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Posts
    1,979
    Thanks
    583
    Thanked 1,225 Times in 708 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by davemerry View Post
    Best way to do it!
    Isn't it like the ONLY way to do it . A little bit of an off-topic, can I also get that whitepaper on traffic that you mentioned in another post, if you get it from your old boss?

    I must say fishing is not for everyone, I've been with friends where they pull out every 2-3mins, getting grumpy, especially when you fish at noon, when no fish bites.

    I have also tried, don't really know what you call it but instead of a live bait like worms, you have a shiny soft plastic bait, it's used for Bass and such. You just throw deep and start pulling out slowly, and you repeat over and over. It's more fun

  8. #8
    davemerry's Avatar
    davemerry is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    June 2010
    Location
    London
    Posts
    751
    Thanks
    332
    Thanked 230 Times in 182 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xecutable View Post
    Isn't it like the ONLY way to do it . A little bit of an off-topic, can I also get that whitepaper on traffic that you mentioned in another post, if you get it from your old boss?
    Not a problem at all, been meaning to get it for a while as my brother wants a read, I'm speaking with him on messenger now and I'll PM you a copy when I get it through

  9. #9
    xecutable's Avatar
    xecutable is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2011
    Location
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Posts
    1,979
    Thanks
    583
    Thanked 1,225 Times in 708 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by davemerry View Post
    Not a problem at all, been meaning to get it for a while as my brother wants a read, I'm speaking with him on messenger now and I'll PM you a copy when I get it through
    Great, thanks . Do you guys prepare and eat the fish afterwards. I eat a lot of fish, but cleaning and preparing is just too much effort

  10. #10
    Chips's Avatar
    Chips is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    October 2007
    Location
    God's Country
    Posts
    3,618
    Thanks
    1,040
    Thanked 1,202 Times in 886 Posts

    Default

    It's just about a daily thing for me. Since we moved into the lake house, we spend the evening on the dock or boat "wetting the hook". Our best weekend of fishing was when my bro-in-law came in and we snagged over 70 fish in 4 days. We were exhausted but very satisfied with our haul.

    Unless it is trout, we practice catch and release.
    --
    "People who are unable to motivate themselves must be content with mediocrity." ~Andrew Carnegie~

  11. #11
    Gabriel_LCP's Avatar
    Gabriel_LCP is offline Non-sponsor Affiliate Program
    Join Date
    August 2010
    Posts
    1,514
    Thanks
    156
    Thanked 303 Times in 248 Posts

    Default

    I actually fished for the first time in July! It was off the Mediterranean coast in Spain, it was very peaceful!! I got a couple of bites but couldn't bring any in. I used bread as bait!

  12. #12
    baldidiot is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    January 2010
    Posts
    5,098
    Thanks
    433
    Thanked 2,333 Times in 1,555 Posts

    Default

    I've never been...

    We nearly went once when we were in the tetons - one of those deals where they take you out, show you what to do and then cook what you catch for you that night in the restaurant. For whatever reason though (can't remember what) it was cancelled.
    onlinegamblingwebsites.com - Formally known as goodbonusguide.

    Gambling Domains: Small clear out of some of the domains we've been hoarding - see the spreadsheet here.

  13. #13
    Kasinoportalen's Avatar
    Kasinoportalen is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    November 2010
    Posts
    92
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 14 Times in 10 Posts

    Default

    I usually go out flyfishing 10-30 times a year, so I woted over a hundred. Nothing beats fighting new-run atlantic salmon in a river!

  14. #14
    MichaelCorfman's Avatar
    MichaelCorfman is offline GPWA Executive Director
    Join Date
    June 2004
    Location
    Newton, MA
    Posts
    4,702
    Thanks
    1,089
    Thanked 6,365 Times in 2,041 Posts

    Default

    Yesterday was a pretty good day out on the ocean. The boat we fished on was 48 feet long, and there were 13 folks fishing on the boat plus the captain and deckhand. And talk about coincidence, I found out that the captain's brother bought and refurbished the boat my dad and I had gone out on around 45 years ago.

    I caught a king salmon (at least that is what we called them when I was kid - these days they seem to more commonly called Chinook salmon). There were 13 of us on the boat, and it was the second largest fish landed at around 30 pounds.

    My daughter Emma, who is 16, also caught a good sized King - third largest on the boat and around 25 pounds. She also caught a silver, or coho salmon, that weighed around 10 pounds. Plus she caught another one that was not quite large enough to keep (they have to be a couple feed long or you have to release them). And then there was also the seagull she hooked as well. It ate the bait off her hook as she was lowering it into the water. She had to reel it up onto the boat so we could get the hook off it to let it go. So she set the record for have the most diverse catch of anyone on the boat and catching the most as well.

    My son Bryan caught a Silver as well, but it was just short of being a keeper, so his fish is still swimming in the ocean. And my wife, Sylvia, after trying it for an hour, decided she preferred reading her book to tending to a rod and reel.

    Michael
    GPWA Executive Director, Casino City CEO, Friend to the Village Idiot
    Resources for Affiliates: iGamingDirectory.com, iGamingAffiliatePrograms.com, GamingMeets.com

  15. #15
    wagerjunction's Avatar
    wagerjunction is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    January 2004
    Location
    Mauritius
    Posts
    1,570
    Thanks
    279
    Thanked 273 Times in 222 Posts

    Default

    I also went fishing only once, it was last year while my brother and sister in law were on vacation from the UK.

    Went to a little island off the eastern coast of Mauritius. None of the girls/ladies wanted to go out in the boat except me so I got to go with all the guys.

    Best part is that I got 3 good sized fish while some if the guys didn't catch anything - was a real blow to their pride

    The whole experience was, of course, copiously accompanied by ice cold beer.
    Amy
    Affiliate Manager
    WagerJunction | Facebook
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  16. #16
    Zoorana's Avatar
    Zoorana is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    June 2010
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    376
    Thanks
    154
    Thanked 72 Times in 60 Posts

    Default

    I've only gone fishing once. And quite a funny experience.

    It was back in Singapore when i was about 10 or 12 years old. My dad and a buddy of his decided to do some manly sport one weekend and i got to tag along. We first went to this pier which was one of the popular fishing spots at the time. It was rather boring i remembered. Lots of adult talk and my dad's buddy teaching my dad how to handle the rod, bait etc

    A few hours passed, and no fish caught. My dad was disappointed of course as he was quite eager to show me what fishing's all about. Just as we packing to leave, a man walked passed us, said that he hasnt got any luck either and that he was going to this fishing place a few minutes drive from the pier. He said to my dad and his buddy to go there as they are sure to get some fish.

    Curious as we humans naturally are, we headed over to the fishing place the guy recommended. Turned out it was a sort of fishing place where you have to pay an entrance fee and sit around a giant man-made pond full of fish that we were put there by the place so you would definitely catch one. It was hilarious and weird. We went ahead anyway. We were sitting under umbrella shelters facing the giant pond and had our food served to our table from the in-house restaurant. In less than 10 minutes of putting his bait in, my dad caught a fish! Naturally!! whahahahaa!

    We were there for about an hour and brought home about 6 or 8 fish. My mum was surprised and dad was proud. It wasn't the sort of fishing experience i had imagined but we all had so much fun. It kinda felt like we were having a picnic by the pool

  17. #17
    Doolally's Avatar
    Doolally is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    February 2003
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    4,584
    Thanks
    501
    Thanked 732 Times in 572 Posts

    Default

    You mean there are other things to do apart from fish??

    I live about a mile away from a small river that gets good runs of Atlantic Salmon and go 2 or 3 times a week at this time of the year. There is nothing better than fishing a river for Atlantic Salmon when one hooks and your reel is screaming as the fish tries to power away from you!!

    That's it..... I'm off again!!

  18. #18
    bonusbetting is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    January 2011
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    391
    Thanks
    39
    Thanked 58 Times in 52 Posts

    Default

    Never been but I am actually off to the Yorkshire coast on Friday to give it a go - seems like it's a popular new hobby at the moment!

    My mate has promised we'll get plenty of mackerel between us, the plan is to smoke it with oak chippings in my barbecue.

    Not the most exciting fish I suppose but I do love smoked mackerel.
    Interested in quality, relevant link exchanges and deals, especially with UK sites.

  19. #19
    michael1981 is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    April 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    321
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 60 Times in 48 Posts

    Default

    I've been fishing once with a group of my friends. None of us caught anything, but we all had a great time. Its nice and relaxing sitting near the water and having a chat with your friends. Would be so cool to hire a giant luxury boat, might even catch more fish that way

  20. #20
    giggles7p's Avatar
    giggles7p is offline In Memoriam, 1962-2011
    Join Date
    July 2004
    Location
    Northeast usa.
    Posts
    1,600
    Thanks
    2,443
    Thanked 792 Times in 461 Posts

    Default

    Well, i love to fish, but i never keep them, i put them back in the water and let them live their lovely waterworld life!....But my big problem with fishing has always been baiting the hook!!!....When i was a kid me and my dad would go night crawler hunting the night before and catch a bunch of night crawlers with our flash lights, it was fun but gross, then when we went fishing i would refuse to put the hook through the worm, so i would just wrap it around the hook and hoped it would stay there. but everytime i casted my line, the line would go one way and the worm would go another!!.....so finally i switched to corn, and it worked for me, a caught a couple of nice sized bass. But one time the bass i caught was huge, and my dad refused to let me throw it back, he wanted to cook it.....so he put it in his 'livery'...i think thats what its called....and brought it home. When we got home it was late and he didn't feel like killing and cleaning it so he filled the sink up with water and put the bass in there for the night.. Now it was still alive, but when i got up in the morning the water had drained out of the sink and the bass was dead......or so i thought, i would not just let it die if i could stop it...so the fish was not moving or breathing, so i filled the sink up with water, and picked up the bass and started moving it back and forth in the water and after a couple of minutes it came back and start moving around!!!!....Sooooo when my dad woke up, i made him take me to the lake and put the bass back and let him go!!! lol
    Gambling forum offering the best in online gambling
    777casinoforum.com

    Online Casino portal featuring International Casinos
    qwertycasino.com

    The relaxed affiliate forum, filled with pleasant, thoughtful banter.
    Grab a cold one or a cup of coffee and relax with gambling industry professionals!

    GamblingAffiliatePlace

    Gambling & Casino News
    CasinoScamReport

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •