Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    PROFRBcom's Avatar
    PROFRBcom is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    April 2013
    Posts
    2,173
    Thanks
    1,511
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 808 Posts

    Default How Do I stop Google From Displaying This in Search Results?

    In some of our search results, it appears that the alt text for images shows up in the Google descriptions. This of course looks wonky and wastes valuable space that could be used to cram in more useful text.

    Here are a couple examples of what I'm talking about:


    Name:  JBkahJP.png
Views: 378
Size:  18.2 KB

    Name:  xdLzQAg.png
Views: 364
Size:  18.7 KB


    Is there perhaps some type of code that I could implement that would keep Google from displaying alt text in search results?
    https://professionalrakeback.com

    We write excellent long-form content for other webmasters, for free.
    How can we work together on a win/win deal? Be creative!

  2. #2
    Scampi's Avatar
    Scampi is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    August 2013
    Posts
    855
    Thanks
    371
    Thanked 304 Times in 180 Posts

    Default

    This may sound obvious, but have you tried in a private browser? The results will be different and will be in line with what your readers will see.
    Last edited by Scampi; 19 April 2018 at 11:06 am.

  3. #3
    PROFRBcom's Avatar
    PROFRBcom is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    April 2013
    Posts
    2,173
    Thanks
    1,511
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 808 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scampi View Post
    This may sound obvious, but have you tried in a private browser? The results will be different and will be in line with what your readers will see.

    That doesn't seem obvious to me at all. And perhaps I didn't explain properly...

    These are not Google simulations of search results generated in Search Console, GA, or anything of the sort. These are actual search results.

    However, to test your theory I opened up a privacy browser and tested. I used Epic browser with a proxy IP enabled. Same exact type of search results, that included alt-text for images.
    https://professionalrakeback.com

    We write excellent long-form content for other webmasters, for free.
    How can we work together on a win/win deal? Be creative!

  4. #4
    TheSpry is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    October 2015
    Posts
    59
    Thanks
    66
    Thanked 32 Times in 20 Posts

    Default

    It looks like that result being pulled from the on page text? If so, I would try adding more content before your first image, or enough content between what google deems result worthy and your first image.

  5. #5
    Progger's Avatar
    Progger is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    November 2014
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,420
    Thanks
    282
    Thanked 923 Times in 580 Posts

    Default

    U can rename the image,wait some weeks and the problem with disappear...
    But this dont solve the problem, check your code. I bet u miss some characters..

    Regards

  6. #6
    PROFRBcom's Avatar
    PROFRBcom is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    April 2013
    Posts
    2,173
    Thanks
    1,511
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 808 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheSpry View Post
    It looks like that result being pulled from the on page text? If so, I would try adding more content before your first image, or enough content between what google deems result worthy and your first image.
    The highlighted text in the examples is the alt text on images from within the content.

    Quote Originally Posted by Progger View Post
    check your code. I bet u miss some characters..

    Check my code for what? What "characters" would I be missing? I really don't know what you are alluding to.

    I have a hard time following the meaning in your English sometimes... this is one of those occasions.
    https://professionalrakeback.com

    We write excellent long-form content for other webmasters, for free.
    How can we work together on a win/win deal? Be creative!

  7. #7
    Progger's Avatar
    Progger is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    November 2014
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,420
    Thanks
    282
    Thanked 923 Times in 580 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PROFRBcom View Post
    The highlighted text in the examples is the alt text on images from within the content.




    Check my code for what? What "characters" would I be missing? I really don't know what you are alluding to.

    I have a hard time following the meaning in your English sometimes... this is one of those occasions.
    Yes,i know my English is not the best.

    With characters i mean < " "> etc,u have to check your code from your page.


    /sites/default/files/files/pictures2/64spades-banner.png" alt="64Spades Banner" width="640" height="115" /></p>

    Remove the alt tags,if u cant find the errors in the code.
    Last edited by Progger; 19 April 2018 at 4:44 pm.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Progger For This Useful Post:

    PROFRBcom (20 April 2018)

  9. #8
    PROFRBcom's Avatar
    PROFRBcom is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    April 2013
    Posts
    2,173
    Thanks
    1,511
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 808 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Progger View Post
    Yes,i know my English is not the best.

    With characters i mean < " "> etc,u have to check your code from your page.


    /sites/default/files/files/pictures2/64spades-banner.png" alt="64Spades Banner" width="640" height="115" /></p>

    Remove the alt tags,if u cant find the errors in the code.

    Ah, OK. I understand what you mean now. Thank you for clarifying.


    1) The code, at least with respect to the image tag, is correct. I have manually checked it.
    2) I use alt tags 100% of the time. In fact, I set an SEO compliance module that literally will not allow me to save a page without 100% compliance on alt tags, link titles, etc. So I won't be removing the alt tags.
    3) But one thing I did not consider is that b/c of using the WYSIWYG for insertion, all images are wrapped in <p> tags.


    I wonder if that could be having an effect..? Could the fact that the images are in <p> tags trigger Google to display the alt text as actual visible text?
    https://professionalrakeback.com

    We write excellent long-form content for other webmasters, for free.
    How can we work together on a win/win deal? Be creative!

  10. #9
    TheGooner's Avatar
    TheGooner is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    4,565
    Thanks
    2,092
    Thanked 4,536 Times in 2,177 Posts

    Default

    If I understood the google algo enough to be able to direct it in what to display and drop then I'd be a VERY rich man.


    To answer your final question first - yes - it's possible that google is interpreting the alt-text as being meant for display purposes because it's wrapped in <P> </P> code. So dropping that would make sense to try.

    However, if that fails then I can think of a couple of things the MIGHT change googles focus :
    1/ Try adding in another image left aligned with more useful Search oriented alt-text.
    2/ Drop the alt-text from these images.

    It appears the Google wants to show these images and code - so give it something else to work on.

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheGooner For This Useful Post:

    PROFRBcom (19 April 2018), TheSpry (20 April 2018)

  12. #10
    Progger's Avatar
    Progger is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    November 2014
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,420
    Thanks
    282
    Thanked 923 Times in 580 Posts

    Default

    Last edited by Progger; 20 April 2018 at 7:47 pm.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Progger For This Useful Post:

    PROFRBcom (20 April 2018)

  14. #11
    universal4's Avatar
    universal4 is offline Forum Administrator
    Join Date
    July 2003
    Location
    Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. John Wayne
    Posts
    33,987
    Thanks
    4,540
    Thanked 9,296 Times in 5,980 Posts

    Default

    I agree that running the validator on the code may help.

    Also, maybe try adding a title tag with more descriptive text, and move the alt tag to the end of the image code.

    Rick
    Universal4

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to universal4 For This Useful Post:

    PROFRBcom (21 April 2018)

  16. #12
    slotplayer is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    September 2006
    Posts
    1,044
    Thanks
    198
    Thanked 322 Times in 252 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Progger View Post
    Doesn't it say you have an open div?


    1. Line 515, Column 7: end tag for "div" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified</body>
      You may have neglected to close an element, or perhaps you meant to "self-close" an element, that is, ending it with "/>" instead of ">".
    2. Line 76, Column 5: start tag was here <div id="layout-type-1">

  17. #13
    PROFRBcom's Avatar
    PROFRBcom is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    April 2013
    Posts
    2,173
    Thanks
    1,511
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 808 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Progger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by slotplayer View Post
    Doesn't it say you have an open div?


    1. Line 515, Column 7: end tag for "div" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified</body>
      You may have neglected to close an element, or perhaps you meant to "self-close" an element, that is, ending it with "/>" instead of ">".
    2. Line 76, Column 5: start tag was here <div id="layout-type-1">

    All the validator errors, as far as I could see, were in module and js code that I can't alter/wouldn't know how to alter.

    The modules appear to work properly so.. I'm not worried about that. About to upgrade to Drupal 8 and new modules so those problems will likely go away.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to PROFRBcom For This Useful Post:

    slotplayer (21 April 2018)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •