I am rebuilding some affiliate sites and have to readdress the issue of whether or not I should redirect this traffic from a geo-specific location. It seems like such a waste to have a player interested in playing "live poker" and clicking on a casino's FTD bonus link, that would normally direct them a casino that excludes that country. Ideally, the potential player should land on the casino they clicked on. In practice, I'm inclined to do the opposite.
How far would you guys go in manipulating the redirects of your traffic to optimize? Here are some options I am considering:
- Bait and Switch: When players click an affiliate link, I'll blindly redirect them to another site that can convert them ( ie. redirect them to another casino that will take a deposit from them)
- Give a warning and try to convert. If a player clicks an affiliate link, I'll throw a popup and let them know that they will not be able to play at that casino and give them options of others.
- I let them click on an affiliate link that has no chance of converting the player.
The first one seems sleazy, especially using the "Bait and Switch" terminology. But, ask yourself if it's truly wrong to do that knowing that you are ultimately fulfilling the need of the player? Seems like there is a good argument there.
I've seen some sites do the second. It does seem like the ethical thing to do. However, I would be concerned about attrition.


LinkBack URL
About LinkBacks
Reply With Quote


