Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26
  1. #1
    best.hands is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    July 2010
    Posts
    275
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 36 Times in 32 Posts

    Default Google: Testing Instant Results?

    If you have been using google for a while now, you must have noticed that when you type a query, there is that sort of like a tool tip popping, suggesting possible queries to make, the autosuggestion feature. Okay, I really appreciate that part of the search. But, this is not about that.

    Rob Ousbey, an observer, noticed a testing going on with Google for not just live results but instant! If you are clueless of the difference, it is an instant result that changes as you type your query on the search box, not after you press enter or click the search button. Okay, I know you are crying for the proof, see it here - http://www.ousbey.com/blog/live-upda...search-results

    I think this is a good move. However, I am scared about the effect it could possible bring to the SEO community. What do you guys think? By the way, I fail to simulate it. Hmmmmm..

  2. #2
    learn2holdem's Avatar
    learn2holdem is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    October 2008
    Posts
    94
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    My guess is this is not really useful as the results move too fast while the query changes. But it shows the caffeine effect and their database is faster to achieve that.

  3. #3
    baldidiot is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    January 2010
    Posts
    5,098
    Thanks
    433
    Thanked 2,333 Times in 1,555 Posts

    Default

    Whoa, that's crazy! Would it have an affect on the way google reports SERP impressions in GWT?

    I'd like to think that the big G would only count an impression for those results that appear on the final search, but what about if somebody amends their search intentionally?

    For example, if somebody searches "online casino uk", looks through the results and cannot find what they want so amend the search to "online casino uk playtech", but without hitting enter/search?

    What data would we get?
    onlinegamblingwebsites.com - Formally known as goodbonusguide.

    Gambling Domains: Small clear out of some of the domains we've been hoarding - see the spreadsheet here.

  4. #4
    Simmo! is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    July 2004
    Posts
    893
    Thanks
    239
    Thanked 406 Times in 226 Posts

    Default

    As a user I think I'd really like that. As a webmaster, I think I'd really like that

    It's good for those people that own longtail terms rather than main terms IMO as it will encourage users to experiment and deliver more niche results. It also means spammy TITLE tags are less likely to get clicked as the CTA becomes ever more important. That has to be good too.

    Seems good to me all round unless I am missing something.

  5. #5
    catchingsmoke is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    October 2009
    Posts
    200
    Blog Entries
    2
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 44 Times in 29 Posts

    Default

    It could also have a negative impact on longtails simmo if people see what they want before they finish typing, not saying that will happen it's just a thought.

    Personally I doubt that it could make much difference other than improving usability for the end user.

    But who knows it could end up changing the way we think about what the best terms to rank for are, maybe something with a lot of longtails including that phrase at the start of the term could become better than one with more individual searches if you get me. Unlikely, personally I think alot of people will simply ignore this sort of thing.

    All depends how end users react.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    March 2006
    Location
    Costa Rica
    Posts
    2,092
    Thanks
    140
    Thanked 172 Times in 120 Posts

    Default

    I agree with catching smoke. You'll get larger brands first as the query is being types. The long tail keywords will not appear until there ave been many other shorter tail keywords.

    I think this will also affect the advertisers impressions performance, generating more impressions per useful search. The "quality" score as far as I know it be lowered.

    Seems to me this is bad news for smaller portals and Adwords advertisers.

  7. #7
    dhayman is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    197
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 24 Times in 21 Posts

    Default

    Why on earth doesn't Google just stick to core SERPs, and stop with all of these stupid bells and whistles. It is so obvious to me why Google has lost market share to Yahoo/Bing, and why their share price is heading downwards. Is it not obvious ???

    Google needs to get back to basics, or they will suffer the same fate that the Roman Empire suffered (nothing lasts forever). Someone needs to kick them in the head, and quick, to give them a dose of reality.

  8. #8
    universal4's Avatar
    universal4 is offline Forum Administrator
    Join Date
    July 2003
    Location
    Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. John Wayne
    Posts
    33,999
    Thanks
    4,544
    Thanked 9,298 Times in 5,982 Posts

    Default

    If Adrian is right and this hurts overall performance of Adwords, then Google will likely change this very quickly.

    Rick
    Universal4
    Gambling World Online Roulette Online Blackjack Live Online Games Sports Betting Horse Racing
    Casino Affiliate Programs
    Hosting and Domain Names
    Gambling Industry Association
    GPWA Moderation by Me and My Big Bad Security Self
    If an affiliate program is not small affiliate friendly (especially small US Affiliate), then they are NOT Affiliate Friendly!

  9. #9
    best.hands is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    July 2010
    Posts
    275
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 36 Times in 32 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by baldidiot View Post
    Whoa, that's crazy! Would it have an affect on the way google reports SERP impressions in GWT?
    IMO, It could possible affect the impression report. But, I think Google is wise enough to employ timers to separate impressions from not impressions. Google has been giving users details about how much time it took before they come up a listing as a response to a query. I am referring to the details that can be found below the search bar right after you press enter or click search. Ex. About 165,000,000 results (0.13 seconds)

    If on average google takes 10 seconds before coming up a list of results, then with this instant result feature, they could set 10 seconds as a marker between impressions and not impressions, however if a click on any of the links in the instant result happens immediately after the last character typed, then it should be impressions for every other links on the results, while conversion for the clicked link.

    I just hope Google still saves something for the SEO community whenever they put this interesting feature live.

  10. #10
    hakank is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    550
    Thanks
    128
    Thanked 81 Times in 72 Posts

  11. #11
    TanyaEverest's Avatar
    TanyaEverest is offline Restricted Account
    Join Date
    November 2008
    Posts
    223
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 32 Times in 26 Posts

    Default

    This instant thing honestly gives me a headache. I know Google needs to stay fresh and with the times, but a good old fashion search button is really all that's needed.

    I did find a pretty funny article at Mashable about Google Instant called Google Instant Doesn’t Like Your Sexy Searches. Apparently Google has made the decision to exclude "dirty words" from Instant Search, ie. I can search "Dick Tracy" without being lead on a much different, possibly more popular search.

  12. #12
    RayUK's Avatar
    RayUK is offline In Memorian, 1964-2016
    Join Date
    January 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    322
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked 75 Times in 63 Posts

    Default

    You can turn it off (there is a little 'instant is on/off' drop down just above the 'safe search is on/off' drop down). Not thought about what it might do for long tail search traffic for portals but as a user I hate it. The flickering of the page as I type is really annoying and it also has the 'arrogance' thing where it decides I don't want to search on the phrase I have typed but instead on the phrase it thinks I should be looking for. Which is always wrong. Just f*** off google and let me search for what I want.
    Ray
    Fun Bingo Online Facebook Twitter

    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

  13. #13
    catchingsmoke is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    October 2009
    Posts
    200
    Blog Entries
    2
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 44 Times in 29 Posts

    Default

    yer, it's come onto the .co.uk as well today noticed it on the .com yesterday, have to say I don't like it personally

    and the flashing is annoying.

    can you say epilespy lawsuit :P

  14. #14
    casinogod's Avatar
    casinogod is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    August 2002
    Location
    England
    Posts
    389
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 79 Times in 47 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hakank View Post
    I experienced this in IE8 today. Spooky! LOL

    Here's the link to what it is: http://www.google.com/instant/#utm_c...utm_source=rpp


    /Hakan
    I just heard about this on the radio today, thanks for the link was a bit weird. I guess it makes search a bit more fun, and people might well go visiting results they had no interest in before and then go back and search again to find what they actually wanted and if that means more clicks and google manage to fit in more ad's well that means mroe money for them so I can see why they are doing it.

  15. #15
    matted's Avatar
    matted is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    June 2004
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Posts
    2,685
    Thanks
    118
    Thanked 328 Times in 222 Posts

    Default

    I'm not a fan... But I am not the typical web surfer (as I am learning in my marketing efforts).

    This may sound silly, ut I feel like I'm wasting cpu cycles or bandwidth somewhere having a new query for each keystroke.

    Owner, Cognitive Powers, Inc.
    Soon to be ex-webmaster
    Facebook, Twitter, and Linked In

  16. #16
    AlexJC is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    December 2009
    Posts
    20
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    This has just become live on Google Chrome today, I have to say I understand that Google are trying to be innovative but I found it quite distracting having the screen underneath where I am typing constantly changing as I type my search term.

    On my work PC the terms I search will have a trend following my role. I'm not very technical so I don't understand the in's and out's of how this new tool will work but does any one know if Google will remember the trends I have searched previously, so that when I search again there aren't as many changing results on my screen as I type?

  17. #17
    dhayman is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    197
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 24 Times in 21 Posts

    Default

    My 2 cents - Google is starting to lose market share to its rivals, and overall search is down about 15 %, due to mobile apps taking the share away. They are looking for gimics, or anything (in their mind) that may improve the bottom line. Personally, I think that they are really starting in Google headquarters. They really should resume focus on what got them on top - meaningful search results. They have really lost a lot of credibility in that area over the last couple of years.

  18. #18
    ALEX777 is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    535
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    130
    Thanked 76 Times in 64 Posts

    Arrow

    I think they must turn it off by default. Good idea but only as an option, not for default searches.

    Quote Originally Posted by matted
    I'm wasting cpu cycles or bandwidth somewhere having a new query for each keystroke.
    Yes Not Eco friendly at all.

  19. #19
    sg
    sg is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    August 2010
    Location
    India
    Posts
    51
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    Default

    I think google is not putting this as a auto on every where other than USA...

    I have few articles for the same and found this will be active in USA and few other countries..

  20. #20
    RayUK's Avatar
    RayUK is offline In Memorian, 1964-2016
    Join Date
    January 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    322
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked 75 Times in 63 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sg View Post
    I think google is not putting this as a auto on every where other than USA...

    I have few articles for the same and found this will be active in USA and few other countries..
    It is fully 'on' on google.co.uk as well as .com, not sure about anywhere else yet but it will get there I daresay. Google aren't exactly known for backing down on changes they implement - popular or not! (Anyone else hate their new image search?)
    Ray
    Fun Bingo Online Facebook Twitter

    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •