View Poll Results: How Often do you Check Competitors Website?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never

    4 18.18%
  • Daily

    4 18.18%
  • Weekly

    7 31.82%
  • Monthly

    2 9.09%
  • Less than Once Per Month

    5 22.73%
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    TravG's Avatar
    TravG is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    September 2008
    Posts
    2,069
    Thanks
    34
    Thanked 179 Times in 131 Posts

    Default How Often Do You Visit Competitors Website?

    Just curious how often everyone visits their top competitors websites? Searching my targeted keywords and looking at the sites who out rank me is a normal practice. I try to check them at least once per week and also look at the website just below me.

    Do you check your competitions websites and how often?
    Live Casino USA - the best USA live online casinos. Play USA online slots and other casino games like USA online blackjack. Play See USAlegalcasinos.com to find the best USA online casino. Want to play USA online poker? Find the best poker sites at 4DeucesPoker.com.

  2. #2
    ocreditor's Avatar
    ocreditor is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    April 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    7,366
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    7,109
    Thanked 4,345 Times in 2,838 Posts

    Default

    If not straight-up checking what they are doing, then I come across sites on my day, on my endless study of the industry.

  3. #3
    Moonlight Cat's Avatar
    Moonlight Cat is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    November 2008
    Posts
    1,986
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    1,234
    Thanked 1,181 Times in 675 Posts

    Default

    For my main search queries - every day.

  4. #4
    -Shay- is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    November 2012
    Posts
    3,061
    Thanks
    12,175
    Thanked 3,133 Times in 1,685 Posts

    Default

    I only visit sites that I believe are scraping my content or using my research to write their content.

    I have no interest in trying to "keep up with the Jones", I don't care how others are selling something and I don't care about checking back link profiles.

    I like to think of myself as an innovator, not an imitator. I also believe that I know my niches well enough so that I don't need to visit other sites for keyword ideas or any other tactics. I just do my own thing and try to do it well.

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to -Shay- For This Useful Post:

    foxtucker (23 May 2013), TheGooner (23 May 2013)

  6. #5
    TheGooner's Avatar
    TheGooner is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    4,565
    Thanks
    2,092
    Thanked 4,537 Times in 2,177 Posts

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheGooner For This Useful Post:

    -Shay- (23 May 2013), Moonlight Cat (23 May 2013)

  8. #6
    AceOdds is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    February 2013
    Posts
    90
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 32 Times in 26 Posts

    Default

    The occasions I check out competitors are:
    - When looking for a new niche to target
    - When I hear of google algo updates I like to check how the rankings have changed.
    - When I notice search traffic going up or down significantly, usually via google analytics.
    https://www.signupbonuses.co.uk: New customer bonuses for casino, poker, sport and bingo sites.
    https://www.aceodds.com: Bet calculator for working out accumulator winnings, lucky 15 bets and more. Also try the android app.

  9. #7
    sweetbet's Avatar
    sweetbet is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    November 2012
    Posts
    2,824
    Blog Entries
    5
    Thanks
    898
    Thanked 1,574 Times in 1,086 Posts

    Default

    Whenever I'm looking for new affiliate programs to promote.

  10. #8
    xecutable's Avatar
    xecutable is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2011
    Location
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Posts
    1,979
    Thanks
    583
    Thanked 1,225 Times in 708 Posts

    Default

    Just once, before I copy all of the content . Kidding, if I ever visit a competitor's site it would be as a user, not as an affiliate webmaster looking at the competition.

  11. #9
    TravG's Avatar
    TravG is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    September 2008
    Posts
    2,069
    Thanks
    34
    Thanked 179 Times in 131 Posts

    Default

    I am curious why so many of you do not look at the competition? In any business you have no know what the competition is doing and trying new so you can keep the advantage. I have had a lot of jobs outside affiliate marketing and always kept abreast of what my compeition was doing. I guess I just carried that on to this as well.

    Personally if someone is ranking higher than me for a keyword I am trying to dominate I almost rip their site apart looking at it to see what I could do better and what they are doing that I am not.
    Live Casino USA - the best USA live online casinos. Play USA online slots and other casino games like USA online blackjack. Play See USAlegalcasinos.com to find the best USA online casino. Want to play USA online poker? Find the best poker sites at 4DeucesPoker.com.

  12. #10
    xecutable's Avatar
    xecutable is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2011
    Location
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Posts
    1,979
    Thanks
    583
    Thanked 1,225 Times in 708 Posts

    Default

    I believe, and this is my own opinion, that sometimes ranking has nothing to do with content or the ideas on the site. Say I borrow an idea of somewhat that's rank 1 today, and after the next google update they go 5th page. Same goes for the next rank 1 etc.

    There are people and companies that get ideas and show them to the world, and there are others that borrow and idea and try to perfect it. Take for example Facebook, and every other social network. Creating a habit of getting idea and trying them, to me is more valuable than looking at someone elses creation.

    I guess there's no harm telling this now, but a year ago, I was sitting around and decided to write live streaming previews. Though many had some sort of live streaming pages, or preview pages, nobody seemed to have included both in one. I did it, ranked well on each and every live streaming game. Since all other competitors were illegal streams I had no competitors in the gambling niche. Plenty of registrations and deposits (although low value) per match. Now a lot of sites do it, I lost my spots, but it was fun while it lasted.

    I don't wanna come out arrogant, or anything like that, I just state how I see things. Others may have different views.

  13. #11
    -Shay- is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    November 2012
    Posts
    3,061
    Thanks
    12,175
    Thanked 3,133 Times in 1,685 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UltimatePokerBonus View Post
    I am curious why so many of you do not look at the competition? In any business you have no know what the competition is doing and trying new so you can keep the advantage. I have had a lot of jobs outside affiliate marketing and always kept abreast of what my compeition was doing. I guess I just carried that on to this as well.

    Personally if someone is ranking higher than me for a keyword I am trying to dominate I almost rip their site apart looking at it to see what I could do better and what they are doing that I am not.
    If you feel you are the best at what you do, it doesn't matter what the "Joneses" or the "Smiths" are doing - hence why I don't care what my "competition" is doing or how they're wording things - unless of course they're stealing my content (at which time I take appropriate actions).

  14. #12
    LauMan3's Avatar
    LauMan3 is offline Non-sponsor Affiliate Program
    Join Date
    April 2013
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I voted for daily.
    It's not just for seeing how much you rank and if they stole your content.
    You have to keep an eye on how the industry is working and how it's developing, whatever that has been working for you
    might stop anytime. So keeping an eye on your competitor allows you to make sure you are not missing anything good that is happening.

  15. #13
    -Shay- is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    November 2012
    Posts
    3,061
    Thanks
    12,175
    Thanked 3,133 Times in 1,685 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LauMan3 View Post
    I voted for daily.
    It's not just for seeing how much you rank and if they stole your content.
    You have to keep an eye on how the industry is working and how it's developing, whatever that has been working for you
    might stop anytime. So keeping an eye on your competitor allows you to make sure you are not missing anything good that is happening.
    Would you not get an understanding of your industry from the various programs you work with and from knowing your industry first-hand?

  16. #14
    Doolally's Avatar
    Doolally is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    February 2003
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    4,584
    Thanks
    501
    Thanked 732 Times in 572 Posts

    Default

    Very rarely, if at all.

    I do visit other members sites when looking to sign up with another gaming site for my own use though to use their aff links.

  17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doolally For This Useful Post:

    -Shay- (26 May 2013), xecutable (27 May 2013)

  18. #15
    yervand is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    February 2009
    Location
    Porto
    Posts
    54
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts

    Default

    Probably about once a week, but I look at all different kinds of sites at the same time. Some I wouldnt even consider competitors, but I like to get new ideas.

  19. #16
    lowrisk is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    June 2011
    Posts
    801
    Thanks
    80
    Thanked 180 Times in 132 Posts

    Default

    Yeah we keep an eye on our competitors from time to time. It's just normal business practice isn't it? So long as it doesn't effect your productivity, what's the problem? Even the mighty google keeps an eye on it's competitors, anyone remember the background images? When they had Bing envy?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •