Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    universal4's Avatar
    universal4 is offline Forum Administrator
    Join Date
    July 2003
    Location
    Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. John Wayne
    Posts
    34,012
    Thanks
    4,546
    Thanked 9,305 Times in 5,988 Posts

    Default How to stop the wibiya toolbar from loading on sites

    Are you tired of seeing the wibiya toolbar loading on some of the sites you visit?

    Well now you don't have to see it anymore.

    Sure there are a number of plugins etc to get rid of this annoyance on some browsers, but if you are like me and use a number of browsers for different functions, it can be a pain trying to keep track of the plugins....

    All you need to do is add a single line to your hosts file. The hosts file is located in the windows system folder which is normally C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc.

    If you run Windows Vista or Windows 7 you will need to run notepad as administrator in order to be able to save the file after editing.

    All you need to add to the host file is
    127.0.0.1 cdn.wibiya.com
    That's it, and save the file.

    Now close your browser, reopen it and visit a website that has that little bugger at the bottom and you will no longer see it load and slow down page views...

    Rick
    Universal4
    Gambling World Online Roulette Online Blackjack Live Online Games Sports Betting Horse Racing
    Casino Affiliate Programs
    Hosting and Domain Names
    Gambling Industry Association
    GPWA Moderation by Me and My Big Bad Security Self
    If an affiliate program is not small affiliate friendly (especially small US Affiliate), then they are NOT Affiliate Friendly!

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to universal4 For This Useful Post:

    Leo (17 January 2012)

  3. #2
    dangoth1 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    January 2012
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Interesting.
    Last edited by dangoth1; 9 January 2012 at 4:19 am.

  4. #3
    TheGooner's Avatar
    TheGooner is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    4,566
    Thanks
    2,092
    Thanked 4,537 Times in 2,177 Posts

    Default

    LOL - Dangoth1 outed as a Wibiya owner / developer ...
    IF you are going to try and pretend to be a drive-by poster ... at least be subtle about it ...

    I've never seen or heard of wibiya at all - is it a porn site thing?

  5. #4
    usaonlinecasino's Avatar
    usaonlinecasino is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    September 2003
    Posts
    171
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 16 Times in 12 Posts

  6. #5
    universal4's Avatar
    universal4 is offline Forum Administrator
    Join Date
    July 2003
    Location
    Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. John Wayne
    Posts
    34,012
    Thanks
    4,546
    Thanked 9,305 Times in 5,988 Posts

    Default

    This is NOT something that only shows up on wibiya's site, but I have seen it on more and more sites lately......and a small bit of searching reveals that it's use is on the rise, AND visitors overall find it annoying.....

    ....search volume on how to remove or stop it is increasing and YES that is a good indicator visitors do NOT like this....

    Rick
    Universal4
    Gambling World Online Roulette Online Blackjack Live Online Games Sports Betting Horse Racing
    Casino Affiliate Programs
    Hosting and Domain Names
    Gambling Industry Association
    GPWA Moderation by Me and My Big Bad Security Self
    If an affiliate program is not small affiliate friendly (especially small US Affiliate), then they are NOT Affiliate Friendly!

  7. #6
    pgaming's Avatar
    pgaming is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    July 2005
    Posts
    2,854
    Thanks
    414
    Thanked 215 Times in 164 Posts

    Default

    Hey Rick this toolbar runs a affiliate program. I heard they pay fair and track properly lol. JK

    greek39
    Greek39

  8. #7
    universal4's Avatar
    universal4 is offline Forum Administrator
    Join Date
    July 2003
    Location
    Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. John Wayne
    Posts
    34,012
    Thanks
    4,546
    Thanked 9,305 Times in 5,988 Posts

    Default

    I shoulda figured you'd say that.....lol

    Rick
    Universal4
    Gambling World Online Roulette Online Blackjack Live Online Games Sports Betting Horse Racing
    Casino Affiliate Programs
    Hosting and Domain Names
    Gambling Industry Association
    GPWA Moderation by Me and My Big Bad Security Self
    If an affiliate program is not small affiliate friendly (especially small US Affiliate), then they are NOT Affiliate Friendly!

  9. #8
    FictionNet is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    December 1969
    Posts
    5,299
    Thanks
    1,453
    Thanked 1,278 Times in 672 Posts

    Default

    I've never heard of wibiya either :/

  10. #9
    universal4's Avatar
    universal4 is offline Forum Administrator
    Join Date
    July 2003
    Location
    Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. John Wayne
    Posts
    34,012
    Thanks
    4,546
    Thanked 9,305 Times in 5,988 Posts

    Default

    If anyone wants to see what the bar looks like, just visit the main domain and you will see it at the bottom.

    It doesn't install anything and of course once you apply my fix above, you won't see it after returning.....

    Rick
    Universal4
    Gambling World Online Roulette Online Blackjack Live Online Games Sports Betting Horse Racing
    Casino Affiliate Programs
    Hosting and Domain Names
    Gambling Industry Association
    GPWA Moderation by Me and My Big Bad Security Self
    If an affiliate program is not small affiliate friendly (especially small US Affiliate), then they are NOT Affiliate Friendly!

  11. #10
    FictionNet is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    December 1969
    Posts
    5,299
    Thanks
    1,453
    Thanked 1,278 Times in 672 Posts

    Default

    Ah.... okay, I've seen it out and about and yes, it is very crap and annoying.

  12. #11
    Leo's Avatar
    Leo
    Leo is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    December 2008
    Posts
    137
    Thanks
    80
    Thanked 40 Times in 32 Posts

    Default

    Thanks for posting the solution here.

    I've seen the bar on plenty of websites in the past, but it really seems like it's becoming a lot more common in 2012, just in the last week I've seen it TOO many times and it's getting annoying. I'm implementing your solution now.

  13. #12
    xecutable's Avatar
    xecutable is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2011
    Location
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Posts
    1,979
    Thanks
    583
    Thanked 1,225 Times in 708 Posts

    Default

    Hmm is this necessary Rick? I see that some casino affiliate programs use it like CastleAffiliates. The purpose of the toolbar is mostly to tweet, share on facebook, as well as see youtube videos of the site's channel.

    Since it loads with the website I think it tracks some sort of statistics as well. I will forward this thread to Dave, maybe he can give us some insights as they are actually using it.

  14. #13
    universal4's Avatar
    universal4 is offline Forum Administrator
    Join Date
    July 2003
    Location
    Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. John Wayne
    Posts
    34,012
    Thanks
    4,546
    Thanked 9,305 Times in 5,988 Posts

    Default

    I find it annoying as do others, so workarounds to remove it are welcome to those who do not like it.

    If any affiliate properties use it, are all the links contained within the toolbar tracked to the affiliate, or are they tracked without affiliate tags?

    Rick
    Universal4
    Gambling World Online Roulette Online Blackjack Live Online Games Sports Betting Horse Racing
    Casino Affiliate Programs
    Hosting and Domain Names
    Gambling Industry Association
    GPWA Moderation by Me and My Big Bad Security Self
    If an affiliate program is not small affiliate friendly (especially small US Affiliate), then they are NOT Affiliate Friendly!

  15. #14
    davemerry's Avatar
    davemerry is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    June 2010
    Location
    London
    Posts
    751
    Thanks
    332
    Thanked 230 Times in 182 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xecutable View Post
    Hmm is this necessary Rick? I see that some casino affiliate programs use it like CastleAffiliates. The purpose of the toolbar is mostly to tweet, share on facebook, as well as see youtube videos of the site's channel.

    Since it loads with the website I think it tracks some sort of statistics as well. I will forward this thread to Dave, maybe he can give us some insights as they are actually using it.
    Cheers for the notification Mikto

    I've noticed it a lot recently as well and wanted to see if it would be a worthy addition to CastleAffiliates and even potentially further, so we added it a few days back as a test. I try and keep an open mind with these type of things, I find when you work on the internet full time you become frustrated with anything intrusive to your activity, but to the average user it may be something they could interact with and aid there experience.

    You're right about the volume for removing it Rick, that might be enough to put me off for future use in itself actually. I can see that it is gone now and I'll be looking at the results when I get back from LAC - I'll post here to let you know. We're obviously not a massive high traffic site, but it should be interesting to see whether any social activity increased.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •