Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    ppjr is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    December 2019
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    13
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Default Image sizes and page loading time in control - SEO

    Hi everybody,

    I'd like to learn how to improve page loading time. Apparently image file size is one thing where to start the tuning. What file format is the best? What would be the next thing to look into for faster page load?

    Thank you

  2. #2
    universal4's Avatar
    universal4 is offline Forum Administrator
    Join Date
    July 2003
    Location
    Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. John Wayne
    Posts
    33,999
    Thanks
    4,544
    Thanked 9,298 Times in 5,982 Posts

    Default

    I personally like using jpg but gif's are also good especially when animated.

    Take a look at your site images as well as any banners or buttons you put up, and determine if they need to be the sizes they are (weight not pixel size) Often just optimizing banners and buttons used can reduce page load times.

    There are a number of threads here at the GPWA which recommend different graphics tools and sites that can help with image size reduction. I prefer Photoshop, but that is not for everyone in scope of use or costs.

    Rick
    Universal4

  3. #3
    Nenad is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    June 2019
    Posts
    546
    Thanks
    311
    Thanked 155 Times in 128 Posts

    Default

    Photoshop is great, but it can be costly for some. I use kraken images optimizer.

  4. #4
    newcustomeroffer is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    January 2018
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,367
    Thanks
    237
    Thanked 606 Times in 476 Posts

    Default

    Look into using a CDN to deliver your images too.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to newcustomeroffer For This Useful Post:

    ppjr (13 May 2020)

  6. #5
    ppjr is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    December 2019
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    13
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    Hi guys,


    Thanks for your tips.

    JPG seems to be ok for now. I do not have that many pictures on my site(s) at the moment. Going to look into those optimizer tools a bit deeper as well. If I will add more and more image content to my sites I might have to change all the images to GIF for example. The quality just might drop quite a bit :/

    I've been using free Gimp 2, but I feel its JPG compression is not the most effective.

    About CDN, I must ask my friend's help with Looks like it is requiring more understanding about programming.

  7. #6
    Robbie Billiams's Avatar
    Robbie Billiams is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    December 2018
    Location
    London
    Posts
    89
    Blog Entries
    4
    Thanks
    124
    Thanked 22 Times in 19 Posts

    Default

    As a web designer, I use only SVG. Image quality and file weight are optimal for building a site.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand” — Randy Pausch

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Robbie Billiams For This Useful Post:

    ppjr (14 May 2020)

  9. #7
    WagerX's Avatar
    WagerX is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    March 2006
    Posts
    2,272
    Thanks
    78
    Thanked 92 Times in 70 Posts

    Default

    Hey.
    On GIMP, you can adjust the compression rate when you export an image. I usually go for 80% or so depending on the quality. Keep in mind that there are a lot of 4K high-resolution users out there. I'd use a higher resolution when I can.

    I know that this is not going to be possible for most here, but I've used this PHP library here https://symfony.com/doc/2.0/bundles/...dle/index.html to have the application automatically compress, reformat, and cache images based on pre-determined configurations.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to WagerX For This Useful Post:

    ppjr (14 May 2020)

  11. #8
    Karol's Avatar
    Karol is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    September 2019
    Posts
    60
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    Default

    Hello, im working In co-working spaces.
    I always meet some people who is working with web development, and I get a recommendation for my website and some "tips". The best option for the image has attention to the size of the picture. One image can be 100kb, per all URL need to be maximum one 1 mb. And we will get a better google rating for website speed.

    https://compressjpeg.com/ I'm using this compress, its fast and online. If I need to compress more, I need to use Photoshop. If u need to change picture Pixels, its a lot of tools on the internet for free, u just need to found the best for yourself

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Karol For This Useful Post:

    ppjr (14 May 2020)

  13. #9
    ppjr is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    December 2019
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    13
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    Hi again,

    SVG file format sounds amazing. Especially with simple logo images. Smallest possible file size yet you can scale up them as big as you feel like. Thanks heaps.

    Thanks for all tips so far

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to ppjr For This Useful Post:

    Robbie Billiams (14 May 2020)

  15. #10
    Robbie Billiams's Avatar
    Robbie Billiams is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    December 2018
    Location
    London
    Posts
    89
    Blog Entries
    4
    Thanks
    124
    Thanked 22 Times in 19 Posts

    Default

    Glad to be of service, contact if necessary!
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand” — Randy Pausch

  16. #11
    citizen42's Avatar
    citizen42 is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    September 2017
    Posts
    117
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 72 Times in 43 Posts

    Default

    Using svgs is a better choice than jpg/png/gif if applicable and compression helps a lot as well, you can even compress svgs.

    Besides that there are actually a few more "easy wins" when it comes to image optimization, a couple of months ago I wrote a post about (WP) page speed optimization tips specifically about images, you can check it out here.

  17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to citizen42 For This Useful Post:

    allaboutthebets (15 May 2020), ppjr (16 May 2020), Robbie Billiams (14 May 2020)

  18. #12
    Robbie Billiams's Avatar
    Robbie Billiams is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    December 2018
    Location
    London
    Posts
    89
    Blog Entries
    4
    Thanks
    124
    Thanked 22 Times in 19 Posts

    Default

    Great article, my friend, I read from beginning to end and found a lot of interesting things for myself, thank you very much!
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand” — Randy Pausch

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Robbie Billiams For This Useful Post:

    citizen42 (15 May 2020)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •