Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Billy Mays Dead

  1. #1
    Anthony's Avatar
    Anthony is offline GPWA/APCW Program Director
    Join Date
    June 2003
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    7,294
    Blog Entries
    67
    Thanks
    2,201
    Thanked 3,610 Times in 1,901 Posts

    Default Billy Mays Dead

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_obit_billy_mays

    TAMPA, Fla. – Tampa police say Billy Mays, the television pitchman known for his boisterous hawking of products such as Orange Glo and OxiClean, has died. He was 50.

    Authorities say Mays was pronounced dead Sunday morning after being found by his wife at home. There were no signs of a break-in, and investigators do not suspect foul play. The coroner's office expects to have an autopsy done by Monday afternoon.
    I am here to help if you have any issues with an affiliate program.
    Become involved in GPWA to truly make the association your own:
    Apply for Private Membership | Apply for the GPWA Seal | Partner with a GPWA Sponsor | Volunteer as a Moderator


  2. #2
    AmCan's Avatar
    AmCan is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    November 1999
    Location
    The Lost City of Atlantas
    Posts
    2,376
    Thanks
    242
    Thanked 326 Times in 161 Posts

    Default

    Wow, what a week.

    This really sucks, i loved him as a pitchman. In fact i have recorded a bunch of video where i play "billy" for a promotion i was doing for another website of mine. Now i wonder if it's inappropriate to post it, though based on that post in the michael jackson thread, it could make a log of money.

  3. #3
    Anthony's Avatar
    Anthony is offline GPWA/APCW Program Director
    Join Date
    June 2003
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    7,294
    Blog Entries
    67
    Thanks
    2,201
    Thanked 3,610 Times in 1,901 Posts

    Default

    Why not. Just let everyone know you don't mean any disrespect.

    I thought he was a great pitchman, of course I could never get my mighty puddy to stick to the outside wall
    I am here to help if you have any issues with an affiliate program.
    Become involved in GPWA to truly make the association your own:
    Apply for Private Membership | Apply for the GPWA Seal | Partner with a GPWA Sponsor | Volunteer as a Moderator


  4. #4
    GamTrak's Avatar
    GamTrak is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,261
    Thanks
    1,678
    Thanked 890 Times in 629 Posts

    Default

    This is really sad. I thought I heard that he had been in a rough plane landing the day before and was hit in the head with something on the plane? It was a brief segment so I"m not sure if this is the case or not.

  5. #5
    Chips's Avatar
    Chips is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    October 2007
    Location
    God's Country
    Posts
    3,618
    Thanks
    1,040
    Thanked 1,202 Times in 886 Posts

    Default

    I heard about the bump too. I guess the autopsy will reveal the true cause. Perhaps later today we will know.
    --
    "People who are unable to motivate themselves must be content with mediocrity." ~Andrew Carnegie~

  6. #6
    Amateur's Avatar
    Amateur is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    December 2001
    Posts
    3,771
    Blog Entries
    2
    Thanks
    34
    Thanked 145 Times in 86 Posts

    Default

    He has a cable tv show called "Pitchmen" where he had ppl trying to follow in his footsteps. I liked him, but never bought anything he was selling, not even oxyclean.

    Geez, if he died as a result of that accident, that's really shocking if he didn't have an exam.
    Amateur
    "Lifting as we climb" - NACWC
    "...the universe has no edge and no center..."
    "If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to be a horrible warning" - Jennifer Crusie
    "Common Sense is not so common." - Voltaire
    TheAPage.com

  7. #7
    AmCan's Avatar
    AmCan is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    November 1999
    Location
    The Lost City of Atlantas
    Posts
    2,376
    Thanks
    242
    Thanked 326 Times in 161 Posts

    Default

    I was discussing this with a friend. if you bump your head/get hit by something, if you feel alright, no headache, you didn't receive a concussion (defined as losing consciousness) would you rush yourself to the doctor/hospital on a sunday? sure, if i was hurt by the incident, i would be more likely to consider it.

    it's sad that people leave the world much earlier than the "average lifespan". I know i always think of myself as living to an average lifespan, despite my less than ideal lifestyle. Maybe it's a wakeup call for us middle age folks, to live more in the now than we currently are.

    I have mixed feelings about having put this site up and not being able to make look better: www.ThePitchKing.com

  8. #8
    EricEricEric's Avatar
    EricEricEric is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    August 2007
    Location
    boston
    Posts
    108
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 19 Times in 17 Posts

    Default

    I'm wearing blue all week in memory of Billy. What a pitchman. His humble beginnings began on the streets of Atlantic City hocking sponges and random gadgets.... A gambling man no doubt


    They say the plane landing had nothing to do with his death. Heart condition.

    Billy Mays here for ESPN360!
    Billy Mays here for the original Big City Sliders Station!
    rip bill

  9. #9
    Anthony-Coral is offline Former Employee of Coral
    Join Date
    September 2008
    Location
    Gibraltar
    Posts
    1,217
    Thanks
    904
    Thanked 717 Times in 443 Posts

    Default

    I had no idea who he was till I googled him.

    Gotta say, I love guys like that and I'm a sucker for those infomercials and shopping channels. I never buy anything - I just like to watch the presenters 'go to work' and find new ways to describe whatever it is they're selling.

    Not having known who he was I liked the description I saw on another site somewhere, went like this I think...

    "They say that trouble comes in threes, and having lost MJ, Farrah AND Karl Malden in a week... it's good to know that Billy Mays is STILL offering you one more - at NO extra cost!"

    I took it as being a suitable celebration of his working life and it made me laugh.

  10. #10
    GamTrak's Avatar
    GamTrak is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,261
    Thanks
    1,678
    Thanked 890 Times in 629 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HodgeyBoy View Post
    Gotta say, I love guys like that and I'm a sucker for those infomercials and shopping channels. I never buy anything - I just like to watch the presenters 'go to work' and find new ways to describe whatever it is they're selling.
    He was good at 'selling', but the best folks are the ones that do the recording while you are holding! LOL

    I wish I had a feature like that for my visitors, because they have the 'sales pitch' down perfectly to get you to buy more of what you called for and even other stuff!

    It's annoying, but keeps your interest. It worked on me once!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •