-
20 September 2011, 10:05 am
#1
Mount Kilimanjaro Trek 2012 - GOSH CC Gastro
Hello to all members of GPWA,
For those of you who don’t know me, my name is Chris Taylor and I’ve been working as an affiliate manager for brands such as Referback, Mansion, Gaming VC, Expect and Betfair amongst others (as a consultant) for the last 7 years. During that time I’ve really enjoyed watching our community grow and I can honestly say that I have as many friends as I do work contacts within this great industry.
This has never been more true than in the last 24 hours when I started a fundraising campaign to raise a minimum of £5,000.00. If I meet the target, I will be allowed to take part in a trek to Mount Kilimanjaro next February 2012 to raise awareness and funds for a new research project to understand the genetic causes and improving therapies for infant inflammatory bowel disease.
This is a very personal endeavour since I have an 11 month old son called Oliver and he suffers from a condition called Eosinophilic Gastrointestinal Disease. This means that his tummy sometimes becomes irritated and any colds, flu or even the smallest of infections can set off a reaction in his tummy since the condition affects his immune system.
Oliver must take four special medicines every day to help control the symptoms of this disease and has already endured four separate stays in hospital during his short life and has only ever slept through the night 3 times. As the condition stands, he may never be able to eat some of the foods we take for granted and enjoy so much such as wheat, dairy, soya and eggs.
I’m already so happy to say that in just 24 hours – the iGaming community has shown me such overwhelming support that I have already £4,899.00 of my £5,000.00 minimum target and you can see the donations made here: http://www.justgiving.com/ChrisTKilimanjaro.
I honestly can’t tell you how much this means to me and my family and is an amazing testament to our industry and the characters that work within it. I’m now more determined than ever to raise as much money as possible to help this great cause that is so dear to my family’s heart – inspired and spurred on by every single donation.
Thank you again,
Chris
-
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SlotsAff For This Useful Post:
AE-Martyn (23 September 2011), Anthony-Coral (20 September 2011)
-
20 September 2011, 10:22 am
#2
What can you say about that?
It's a simply staggering response and whilst I am amazed, I am not in the least bit surprised that people in this industry have responsed in the way that they have.
We spend so much time behind our keyboards and screens but still staying in contact with one another that I think a lot of us feel really pleased to be a part of it. Just like how i love the conferences despite the immensly hard work, the physical toll, and not just for the social events but mostly becasue for once or twice a year I get to meet face to face my friends and the people I've spent the last 51 weeks talking to online.
Situations like Chris' above show me that depsite the fact we are all scattered around the globe that actually we don't react all that much differently than if we all worked in the same office block. There are firm friendships and blazing fall-outs, some doing well and some struggling to stay afloat and the response to this fundraiser in the last 24 hours is the same as if you'd heard from the guy you sat opposite in the office for 5 years that his child was unwell and he was going to do all he could to try and fix things.
Good on you Chris - let's see how much above your target you can hit!
Kudos on everyone that's donated so far
...and to anyone reading this, don't listen if anyone looks down on what you do for a living - remember that you're one part of a group of people that have earned the right to call themselves a community!
-
The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony-Coral For This Useful Post:
AE-Martyn (23 September 2011)
-
23 September 2011, 4:11 am
#3
Hey Chris, awesome work buddy.
I hope you hit £10k, the way things are going you should smash it!
I was amazed at the generous donations made already which does stand true to what Hodgey was saying about the industry in general, we're miles apart yet we're all in the same virtual office.
Having children myself I can fully appreciate that when they get ill or live with a condition you want to do all you can to help, this my friend is absolutely awesome and I wish you all the very best of luck for you and the best of health for lil Oli.
I spoke to you regards my donation and I will made a deposit soon, it wont be massive but every little helps. If everyone active (including lurkers) on this forum gave just £10 I reckon it would generate an extra couple of thousand for Chris' campaign. If you can't donate, or don't want to for whatever reason, I'm pretty sure a message to spur Chris on would be also appreciated.
I'm behind you all the way buddy, not up the mountain but I'll be in the bar!
Best of luck and give Oli a high five from me.
-
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules