Results 1 to 1 of 1
  1. #1
    The Buzz's Avatar
    The Buzz is offline GPWA Gossip Hound
    Join Date
    February 2007
    Location
    Newton, MA
    Posts
    4,478
    Thanks
    454
    Thanked 2,029 Times in 1,268 Posts

    Default N.J. Gov. Chris Christie voices concern over online gambling legislation

    In a radio interview with Townsquare Media New Jersey, Chris Christie expressed some concerns he has with the online gambling legislation that awaits his signature, and gave a few reasons he might decide not to sign it.

    Christie's thoughts were in response to a caller who asked about whether he would sign the bill.

    Here are the two things I'm concerned about. First is, I don't know that it really will help Atlantic City, and I'm concerned that it may drive traffic away from Atlantic City. That if people can gamble in their own homes on their laptops, why are they going to go to Atlantic City? And I think that's contrary to what we're trying to accomplish there. Secondly, I'm also really concerned about setting up a whole new generation of addicted gamblers. If you can sit on the edge of your bed with your laptop and gamble away the paycheck, that's a lot different than making the conscious decision of going go down to Atlantic City to gamble in a casino. So I've got those two concerns. I haven't made a final decision yet, but I have those two concerns and you should know that that's the way I feel, and that's in part the reasons that I vetoed the bill before, in addition to some ways it was constructed which I thought made no sense either. So I'm taking a very close look at it, I was reading it over the weekend, reading a briefing from my staff in depth, and I'm going to have to make a decision in the next couple of days.
    You can see the full interview here: http://www.livestream.com/townsquare...4-e3c2254f76d2

    The online poker discussion begins at about the 44:30 mark.
    Last edited by The Buzz; 23 January 2013 at 2:43 pm. Reason: fixed typo

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •