View Poll Results: Are your payments delayed at Conference time?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, always but I don't mind

1 12.50%
  • Sometimes, but I live with it

3 37.50%
  • Regularly and it is hard on me

1 12.50%
  • It has really become a problem for me and I would like payment made before AM's travel

3 37.50%
    mojo is offline Private Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,884 Times in 1,223 Posts

Default Poll: Late Payments at Conference Time?

Do you notice late payments and lack of response when it is conference time?

Do you allow extra time and plan on late payments or replies to queries at conference time? Is this expected?

ocreditor is offline Private Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,020 Times in 2,567 Posts

If I understand your question, wouldn't affiliate programs make an effort to make payments on time as they are facing hundreds of affiliates at a public conference?

-Shay- is offline Public Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,134 Times in 1,686 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    Do you notice late payments and lack of response when it is conference time?

Do you allow extra time and plan on late payments or replies to queries at conference time? Is this expected?
    I think a TREMENDOUS shift in priorities/resources before conferences is the norm. Admin work and other important stuff behind the scenes, as well as communications NOT RELATED to setting up a meeting at a conference seems to take a back seat to booking meetings, setting appointments, and reaching out to new affiliates.

Note: I'm not speaking on ALL programs but a "significant amount".

One would think that focusing on doing the things necessary to retain, upkeep, maintain, PAY and keep CURRENT affiliates happy would be equally as important as booking meetings.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to -Shay- For This Useful Post:

foxtucker (7 February 2013), lots0 (8 February 2013), mojo (7 February 2013)

bboyspyder is offline Private Member
    Thanks

It is understandable if there are delays. Some affiliate teams are not that big and priorities shift around such events. Nevertheless as long as everything is tracked properly payments will be done sooner or later.
    Best backgammon sites at OnlineBackgammon.Org.Uk

lots0 is offline Former Public Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

There are some programs that you might as well not bother to even contact several WEEKS before a conference and at least a week after.

No names, but when a money making aff is ignored/put off because aff managers think partying and talking crap to new prospective affs is more important... I find a new program to promote.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lots0 For This Useful Post:

-Shay- (8 February 2013), mojo (8 February 2013)

grem is offline Public Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grem For This Useful Post:

-Shay- (8 February 2013), mojo (8 February 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bboyspyder View Post
    It is understandable if there are delays. Some affiliate teams are not that big and priorities shift around such events. Nevertheless as long as everything is tracked properly payments will be done sooner or later.
    Taking an outlook of this nature is one of the reasons why affiliates get the shaft.

As affiliate webmasters, we are commission based advertisers who work for ourselves. If this were a "real world" job where we were self-employed commission based insurance brokers - how many of us would tolerate late commissions before we refused to write policies for that company?

How many of us would accept that the company is "too busy" to process commissions due to a big convention he is going to that he's known about for months - especially when knowing full well that any "payment issues" that occur during "non-convention" months are dealt with by saying "let me talk to the commissions department and see what I can find out".

Sure, these affiliate managers spit out excuses, but WE as webmasters accept them. We accept delayed payments, slow payments, and deal with programs who state they pay well even though others have had HUGE problems with them.

We create our own messes by enabling these excuses to fly and writing them a pass.

You want to pay late because you are too busy with the convention? Not a problem, I understand... tack on a 10% inconvenience fee and pay me when you get back.

Having problems paying US based affiliates? Then help me understand why it is you're paying monthly to advertise on the high traffic sports sites run by such and such media - and add 10% for the inconvenience YOU have caused ME for your lack of preparation.

Cliff notes: It is not understandable if there are some delays.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to -Shay- For This Useful Post:

lots0 (8 February 2013), mojo (8 February 2013)

mojo is offline Private Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,884 Times in 1,223 Posts

If it comes down to a choice to go to a conference or pay affilialtes, affiliates are going to lose every time. It's not all programs but it's not just small programs. There are larger programs who work this way too.

What's worrying also is that there doesn't seem to be a back up person to do this task if the AM is away. Are they the ONLY ones that can do payments? It's baffling that no one else is trained to do it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mojo For This Useful Post:

lots0 (8 February 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    What's worrying also is that there doesn't seem to be a back up person to do this task if the AM is away. Are they the ONLY ones that can do payments? It's baffling that no one else is trained to do it.
    Exactly. Really makes one wonder if there's really a "payment department" or a "back office team", as these people are referenced in other months when there's payment issues - Generally speaking of course.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to -Shay- For This Useful Post:

lots0 (8 February 2013)

lots0 is offline Former Public Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by -Shay- View Post
    Exactly. Really makes one wonder if there's really a "payment department" or a "back office team", as these people are referenced in other months when there's payment issues - Generally speaking of course.
    Generally Speaking, I think you hit the nail on the head.

How many of us would accept that the company is "too busy" to process commissions due to a big convention he is going to that he's known about for months - especially when knowing full well that any "payment issues" that occur during "non-convention" months are dealt with by saying "let me talk to the commissions department and see what I can find out".
    I could not agree with you more.
    Not professional... and in lots0's smart phone, 'not professional' translates to 'not trustworthy'.
    Last edited by lots0; 8 February 2013 at 10:53 pm.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to lots0 For This Useful Post:

-Shay- (9 February 2013)