Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    wagerjunction's Avatar
    wagerjunction is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    January 2004
    Location
    Mauritius
    Posts
    1,570
    Thanks
    279
    Thanked 273 Times in 222 Posts

    Default Quarantine Players - To do or not to?

    Hello Everyone,

    As you know we are currently building a new Affiliate Program. We are stuck on a particular issue and would like feedback from all of you.

    We are ensuring that the new system will not carry over any negatives from player wins. But here's the question - we do not want to swallow negatives and in the next month pay out commission on that specific player win. That would mean a double whammy for us and we think that is unfair.

    We are thinking about implementing a quarantine system like we have seen on other programs. We are going to set a level for the quarantine - So if a player wins an X amount and the affiliate goes into negative by X amount the player will automatically go into quarantine

    We will swallow the negative and the player will go into Quarantine

    We are taking the position that anything above the amount of $1000.00 in commission that the partner goes into the negative will mean the player moves into Quarantine

    The player will then need to play back that amount won before being released from Quarantine .

    We would love your feedback re this matter. What do you think is fair?
    Would you prefer us to carry over negatives ?
    Do you have a better suggestion in handling this kind of issue ?

    I look forward to hearing from you


    Regards,
    Amy
    Affiliate Manager
    WagerJunction | Facebook
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  2. #2
    baldidiot is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    January 2010
    Posts
    4,465
    Thanks
    410
    Thanked 2,027 Times in 1,339 Posts

    Default

    I think it depends how it's done - would the player be instantly quarantined, thus not affecting the revenue for the month that they won?

    Example: Lets say Player X wins $10,000 and player Y loses $5,000 to make a net profit of -$5,000.

    Is Player X immediately quarantined to return the revenue to +$5,000 (eg: the revenue from player Y) which is then eligible for commission? Or would the month be counted as a negative and the player quarantined only after zero'ing?
    onlinegamblingwebsites.com - Formally known as goodbonusguide.

  3. #3
    wagerjunction's Avatar
    wagerjunction is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    January 2004
    Location
    Mauritius
    Posts
    1,570
    Thanks
    279
    Thanked 273 Times in 222 Posts

    Default

    Hi baldidiot,

    The player cannot be instantly quarantined as if they play back and loose in the same month the partner could earn from that player.

    The player would be quarantined as at the end of the month. We would swallow the negative and the player would go into quarantine until such time that the funds from the winnings were played back.

    We could have a scenario where we could highlight potential Quarantine cases during the month to partners .
    Amy
    Affiliate Manager
    WagerJunction | Facebook
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  4. #4
    Engineer's Avatar
    Engineer is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2007
    Posts
    524
    Thanks
    488
    Thanked 437 Times in 211 Posts

    Default

    If you do this, make sure that you show (in the new stats) that the player is quarantined. If he simply disappears from the stats, affiliates will think you are shaving.

    But here's the question - we do not want to swallow negatives and in the next month pay out commission on that specific player win. That would mean a double whammy for us and we think that is unfair.
    Most programs do this, though, and many can offer 35% or 40% flat without going under. That's why affiliates gravitate toward programs with no negative carryover, and that's why many affiliates threw a fit last year when a few programs tried to implement a retroactive quarantine system to keep more money for themselves.

    What you are considering is a bit different, though, since you currently do have negative carryover, but you should be aware that switching to "no negative carryover" with a quarantine system to limit the benefits of "no negative carryover" will make your program slightly less attractive than those that offer no negative carryover, no quarantine, and a high commission rate.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Engineer For This Useful Post:

    wagerjunction (7 June 2011)

  6. #5
    jarvi is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    December 1969
    Posts
    3,310
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 438 Times in 273 Posts

    Default

    Whatever you decide just make sure it is easy to understand. Most of us agree that you have to make money as well and are more than happy with that. What we don't like is working with an overly complicated system that is difficult to understand and know when it affects us and when it doesn't. As said above, the stats must reflect what is happening and if a player's status changes we need to be able to see that somewhere. If there is some way you could generate an email to the affiliate when a player is quarantined then it would help. It's all about transparency. If we know what is going on then we have no reason to be upset. Well, one less reason anyway.

    Simplicity is the key to successfully implementing something like this. If it takes more than a paragraph or two to explain, including an example then it is too complex. Many of us affiliate have the attention spans of 2 year olds!

    Oh and one more thing, don't put all over your site that you have a no negative carryover policy and then have it only included in the terms and conditions that there is a quarantine policy in place. Many a program has been criticised for putting the no negative policy wording in a prominent location on the main page when in reality it is not a true no negative carryover policy. Mention that there is a quarantine policy whenever you mention no negative carry over and all is good.
    James

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jarvi For This Useful Post:

    Engineer (7 June 2011), wagerjunction (7 June 2011)

  8. #6
    wagerjunction's Avatar
    wagerjunction is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    January 2004
    Location
    Mauritius
    Posts
    1,570
    Thanks
    279
    Thanked 273 Times in 222 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Engineer View Post
    If you do this, make sure that you show (in the new stats) that the player is quarantined. If he simply disappears from the stats, affiliates will think you are shaving.

    Most programs do this, though, and many can offer 35% or 40% flat without going under. That's why affiliates gravitate toward programs with no negative carryover, and that's why many affiliates threw a fit last year when a few programs tried to implement a retroactive quarantine system to keep more money for themselves.

    What you are considering is a bit different, though, since you currently do have negative carryover, but you should be aware that switching to "no negative carryover" with a quarantine system to limit the benefits of "no negative carryover" will make your program slightly less attractive than those that offer no negative carryover, no quarantine, and a high commission rate.
    Thanks for the feedback Engineer. You have made some valid points there.

    Rest assured that if this procedure is adopted, we will definitely find a way to clearly show which players are being quarantined so that affiliates do not think we are trying to rip them off.

    Wager Junction IS actually a no-negative carry over program at the moment and what we are trying to implement in the new program are features which we believe would prove beneficial to all parties. We are putting all the facts and suggestions black on white prior to the launch of the new program specifically because we do not wish to be seen as a program who retroactively implements terms.

    We are considering the quarantine option though since we believe that affiliates would be better off if they are paid on other players' play (while a quarantine is in place) instead of losing out for the whole month.
    Amy
    Affiliate Manager
    WagerJunction | Facebook
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to wagerjunction For This Useful Post:

    Engineer (7 June 2011)

  10. #7
    wagerjunction's Avatar
    wagerjunction is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    January 2004
    Location
    Mauritius
    Posts
    1,570
    Thanks
    279
    Thanked 273 Times in 222 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jarvi View Post
    Whatever you decide just make sure it is easy to understand. Most of us agree that you have to make money as well and are more than happy with that. What we don't like is working with an overly complicated system that is difficult to understand and know when it affects us and when it doesn't. As said above, the stats must reflect what is happening and if a player's status changes we need to be able to see that somewhere. If there is some way you could generate an email to the affiliate when a player is quarantined then it would help. It's all about transparency. If we know what is going on then we have no reason to be upset. Well, one less reason anyway.

    Simplicity is the key to successfully implementing something like this. If it takes more than a paragraph or two to explain, including an example then it is too complex. Many of us affiliate have the attention spans of 2 year olds!

    Oh and one more thing, don't put all over your site that you have a no negative carryover policy and then have it only included in the terms and conditions that there is a quarantine policy in place. Many a program has been criticised for putting the no negative policy wording in a prominent location on the main page when in reality it is not a true no negative carryover policy. Mention that there is a quarantine policy whenever you mention no negative carry over and all is good.
    Hi Jarvi, appreciate the feedback.

    As stated above, I will definitely pass on the requests regarding the stats to the development team. What I can guarantee though is that if ever the quarantine procedure is adopted, I will personally ensure that all relevant information is communicated to you (affiliates) in as clear a medium as possible. It is absolutely no trouble to drop any of you an email if ever one of your players gets quarantined.

    I have also taken note of your comments regarding tranparency about the programs terms on the website. Rest assured that will will be duly considered also.

    I wish to thank you all for the feedback and look forward to hearing more from you.

    Thanks
    Amy
    Affiliate Manager
    WagerJunction | Facebook
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  11. #8
    jarvi is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    December 1969
    Posts
    3,310
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 438 Times in 273 Posts

    Default

    Amy, I forgot to thank you for actually coming here and asking for feedback, plus the email a while back. Many programs just implement things with no regard for the affiliates because they think they know everything. I've been very critical of some programs recently for thinking they know what a true partnership is, when in actual fact they have no idea. You and the Wager Junction team should be commended for seeking our input and most of us are grateful for the chance to comment.
    James

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to jarvi For This Useful Post:

    wagerjunction (7 June 2011)

  13. #9
    wagerjunction's Avatar
    wagerjunction is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    January 2004
    Location
    Mauritius
    Posts
    1,570
    Thanks
    279
    Thanked 273 Times in 222 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jarvi View Post
    Amy, I forgot to thank you for actually coming here and asking for feedback, plus the email a while back. Many programs just implement things with no regard for the affiliates because they think they know everything. I've been very critical of some programs recently for thinking they know what a true partnership is, when in actual fact they have no idea. You and the Wager Junction team should be commended for seeking our input and most of us are grateful for the chance to comment.
    Thanks jarvi,

    It is good to see that our efforts to offer affiliates a trustworthy and reliable partnership are being recognised. We don't pretend to know everything and experience has shown us that it is only by working together hand in hand with affiliates, paying attention to their suggestions, ideas and helping to sort out their grievances that we will all benefit in the end.
    Amy
    Affiliate Manager
    WagerJunction | Facebook
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •