Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    foxtucker's Avatar
    foxtucker is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    66
    Thanks
    86
    Thanked 21 Times in 16 Posts

    Default A question about short URL redirects

    I use a 'short url redirect' on my affiliate links. I do this mainly because it's much easier to manage and monitor campaigns. I didn't want to risk my main domain/site being seen as trying to spam the search engines, so in early 2012 I bought a new domain, set it to 'noindex' and use that for the majority of my affiliate links.

    So for example, I use abc.xyz/goto/allslots/3.asp for iPhone users, and then ..../5.asp for iPad users.

    I see many sites using their main/domain for the redirects (within a folder such as /goto/), and attended a couple of seo sessions at BAC12 last month. It's all got me second guessing myself.

    Would there be any benefit to using my main/domain instead of a seperate domain?

    I wonder what your thoughts are on this?

    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by foxtucker; 6 November 2012 at 4:51 am. Reason: typo

  2. #2
    vmlinuz's Avatar
    vmlinuz is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2009
    Location
    Transylvania
    Posts
    223
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 45 Times in 32 Posts

    Default

    My 2cents: it doesn't really matter. I use my main domain with nofollows and noindex on the redirect path. Using the main domain might look better to users, while some external, unrelated short domain might scare some users. But this is only my own oppinion.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to vmlinuz For This Useful Post:

    foxtucker (6 November 2012)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •