universal4 is offline Forum Administrator
    Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. John Wayne
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,030 Times in 5,073 Posts

Default recent android threat

A new report from security firm Avast out this morning reveals the discovery of a new form of malware on the Google Play store, which begins to display advertisements disguised as warning messages to end users when they unlock their Android smartphones. Whatís interesting about this malware Ė or adware, as itís better known Ė is that some of the applications where it was discovered already have a large number of installs. For instance, a card game app called Durak has 5 to 10 million installs, according to the data on Google Play.
    http://techcrunch.com/2015/02/03/new...-of-downloads/

According to what I have read so far there have been three apps exposed to contain exploits.
    Durak (a card game)
    An IQTest (from iwolt_iqtest_com)
    A history app (I do not know the official name of this one)

These apps have come from the android store, so I am hoping that Google understands that they should be looking closer at the apps provided, or maybe even enlist the help of a few of the anti-virus and anti-malware companies who are helping expose these exploits.

If you run a lot of apps on your android devices and you recognize the above apps, you should certainly consider taking a closer look.

Rick
    Universal4

2. The Following User Says Thank You to universal4 For This Useful Post:

sweetbet (5 February 2015)

wonderpunter is offline Private Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,709 Times in 1,029 Posts

Running android feels like running iexplorer in the 90s, certain sites using the default facebook browser and annoying popups that take you away from the page appear, I have ran every program I can find to track down the cuplrit and no joy,,

sweetbet is offline Public Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,087 Posts

Thank you for the heads up. I've been downloading and trying out all sorts of apps from the Google Play Store. Luckily, I haven't been hit with anything yet.