Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Is this a scam?

  1. #1
    fadetoblack is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    April 2008
    Posts
    187
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts

    Default Is this a scam?

    I got this email from: no-reply@support.internet.bs


    On November 12, 2015 we sent you an email asking to verify your email address but our records show that as of now you have not done so.
    Please click the link below or copy it into browser to verify your email address as soon as possible:
    [link was here]

    Please note that as per the 2013 ICANN RAA (http://www.icann.org/en/resources/re...whois-accuracy) we have to lock accounts and suspend domains if the email has not been verified within 15 days. As of now 8 days have already passed by so you need to act fast. Please use the above link to verify it now and avoid having your account locked and/or your domains suspended.
    We had sent you this email because:

    • Your email [my email] is associated to an user account registered on our website with the name xxx

    I've received this twice and the email always has the content in Bulgarian as well. Any ideas if it is legit?

  2. #2
    Compy's Avatar
    Compy is offline New Member
    Join Date
    November 2015
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    Hey FadeToBlack,

    Do you have any domains registered with Internet.bs (or internetbs.net)? If so, its legitimate. They send me the same emails after registering domains. ICANN does indeed require its registrars to maintain up-to-date contact information for their registrants.

    As always, mouse over the links to make sure they go to one of InternetBS' sites (internet.bs or internetbs.net). The emails I receive from them are also both in english and Bulgarian.

    I hope this helps!

    Compy

  3. #3
    fadetoblack is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    April 2008
    Posts
    187
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Compy View Post
    Hey FadeToBlack,

    Do you have any domains registered with Internet.bs (or internetbs.net)? If so, its legitimate. They send me the same emails after registering domains. ICANN does indeed require its registrars to maintain up-to-date contact information for their registrants.

    As always, mouse over the links to make sure they go to one of InternetBS' sites (internet.bs or internetbs.net). The emails I receive from them are also both in english and Bulgarian.

    I hope this helps!

    Compy
    Thanks! I managed to contact them and it's ok. It just seemed a bit odd. I don't have any domains with them but it turns out that I have an old account there.

  4. #4
    Compy's Avatar
    Compy is offline New Member
    Join Date
    November 2015
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    Yeah, I recently migrated a few domains to them and also found the bi-lingual emails a bit odd. I guess its a great thing if their customer segments are pretty evenly split though

    Glad you got it sorted out!

  5. #5
    fadetoblack is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    April 2008
    Posts
    187
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Compy View Post
    Yeah, I recently migrated a few domains to them and also found the bi-lingual emails a bit odd. I guess its a great thing if their customer segments are pretty evenly split though

    Glad you got it sorted out!
    What got me what that it was signed off with my name as well, so it made me think it was odd.

  6. #6
    universal4's Avatar
    universal4 is online now Forum Administrator
    Join Date
    July 2003
    Location
    Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. John Wayne
    Posts
    28,356
    Thanks
    2,309
    Thanked 7,993 Times in 5,048 Posts

    Default

    The rules are that the email address on record for the Registrant, Tech, Billing and Admin MUST be a valid email.

    If you use domain privacy, the email should still be valid and any responsible group or company that does whois privacy will forward emails to you from Internic, ICANN or the Registrar if they are doing a whois verification.

    If this is a whois verification by any domain organization and you fail to respond or comply, they can in fact disable the domain at top level.

    I am glad that in your case you figured it out but this should be a reminder to others not to ignore any requests that are valid. If there is ever any doubt, like stated above, check with the registrar to be sure.

    Rick
    Universal4

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to universal4 For This Useful Post:

    Compy (19 November 2015), ocreditor (20 November 2015)

  8. #7
    ocreditor's Avatar
    ocreditor is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    April 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    5,671
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    5,714
    Thanked 3,694 Times in 2,288 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by universal4 View Post
    The rules are that the email address on record for the Registrant, Tech, Billing and Admin MUST be a valid email.

    If you use domain privacy, the email should still be valid and any responsible group or company that does whois privacy will forward emails to you from Internic, ICANN or the Registrar if they are doing a whois verification.

    If this is a whois verification by any domain organization and you fail to respond or comply, they can in fact disable the domain at top level.

    I am glad that in your case you figured it out but this should be a reminder to others not to ignore any requests that are valid. If there is ever any doubt, like stated above, check with the registrar to be sure.

    Rick
    Universal4
    Moreover, make sure to check the emails are indeed from ICANN because it might be a scam if someone will try use ICANN get to your computer,
    I had one email like this 1.5 years ago, but i could tell at the same moment its a scam, it was not even looking like ICANN standard email but the text was similar to the sam annual email they send to confirm domain details1

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to ocreditor For This Useful Post:

    -Shay- (20 November 2015)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •