Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    edgarf76's Avatar
    edgarf76 is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2013
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    2,196
    Thanks
    804
    Thanked 582 Times in 429 Posts

    Default Am I Using A Second H1 Tag?

    My sites are wordpress, and I put in the H1 tag (I will paste below as an example). I looked at the page source code and saw that the title is automatically H1. Am I over using the H1?

    <h1 class="title">NCAAF Betting – Previewing the Conference Champs</h1>

    <div class="bylines">
    August 9, 2012 by <a href="http://every1bets.com/author/b78ny/" title="Posts by b78ny" rel="author">b78ny</a><a class="post-edit-link" href="http://every1bets.com/wp-admin/post.php?post=513&amp;action=edit"> (Edit)</a>
    </div>

    <p>text for body.</p>
    <h1 style="font-family: arial; color: black; font-size: 14px; text-align: left;">ACC</h1>
    Visit Play Slots 4 Real Money and Casino Slots Money for trusted recommendations and tips on the best casinos.

  2. #2
    TravG's Avatar
    TravG is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    September 2008
    Posts
    2,069
    Thanks
    34
    Thanked 179 Times in 131 Posts

    Default

    This happens with almost every wordpress theme I have noticed. Yes you are using two h1 tags. What I did was change the site title h1 tag to just a span tag. That way it is no longer an h1 and then only your individual page titles will be an h1.

    With h1 being so important I would think you never want two. The only downfall to my solution is then in your posts page you don't have an h1 tag because your posts are all h2 (I think so anyway). I use wordpress more for static pages and the site as a whole so that solution works for me. If your homepage is your posts page this may not be the right solution for you.
    Live Casino USA - the best USA live online casinos. Play USA online slots and other casino games like USA online blackjack. Play See USAlegalcasinos.com to find the best USA online casino. Want to play USA online poker? Find the best poker sites at 4DeucesPoker.com.

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TravG For This Useful Post:

    edgarf76 (15 May 2014), LottoRevenues.com (15 May 2014)

  4. #3
    DaftDog's Avatar
    DaftDog is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    October 2008
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    2,162
    Thanks
    697
    Thanked 779 Times in 467 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UltimatePokerBonus View Post
    This happens with almost every wordpress theme I have noticed.
    Not all but mostly with cheap and free WordPress themes.

    You should only have one H1 tag per page and that should be the page or post contents main heading.

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaftDog For This Useful Post:

    -Shay- (15 May 2014), edgarf76 (15 May 2014)

  6. #4
    baldidiot is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    January 2010
    Posts
    5,098
    Thanks
    433
    Thanked 2,333 Times in 1,555 Posts

    Default

    Happens with tons of themes and you'll need to edit the files yourself to fix it. Location might vary depending on the theme, but first place I'd be looking is the header file.
    onlinegamblingwebsites.com - Formally known as goodbonusguide.

    Gambling Domains: Small clear out of some of the domains we've been hoarding - see the spreadsheet here.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to baldidiot For This Useful Post:

    edgarf76 (15 May 2014)

  8. #5
    DaftDog's Avatar
    DaftDog is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    October 2008
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    2,162
    Thanks
    697
    Thanked 779 Times in 467 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by baldidiot View Post
    Happens with tons of themes and you'll need to edit the files yourself to fix it. Location might vary depending on the theme, but first place I'd be looking is the header file.
    If you do edit a file rather do it via a child theme. That way you won't overwrite the file if and when there is a theme update.

  9. #6
    edgarf76's Avatar
    edgarf76 is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2013
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    2,196
    Thanks
    804
    Thanked 582 Times in 429 Posts

    Default

    Thank you guys! I am going through all my old pages to take out bold, italic, and underlines that are too aggressive on keyphrases. I didn't know if the h1 class="title" is the same as a regular h1 that you put inside the post. I want to remove the unessesary h1's while I am going through old posts.

    For pages it is different in my wordpress theme, i don't think the h1 tag is the title for the pages. I think I have to insert the h1 tag. I know a lot of you guys use/or have used flytonic themes, any feedback would be awesome.
    Visit Play Slots 4 Real Money and Casino Slots Money for trusted recommendations and tips on the best casinos.

  10. #7
    RacingJim is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,898
    Thanks
    896
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 845 Posts

    Default

    Just the other month I noticed my theme had no less than 12 (YES, twelve!) H1 tags on the home page. Suffice to say that site home page has disappeared off the radar in Google rankings, so I await to see if it will recover now the H1 issue is sorted. I also had the small matter of a couple of bad links on a punished link network so it's hard to know which one of a myriad of potential factors got me the penalty.
    Last edited by RacingJim; 15 May 2014 at 9:21 am.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to RacingJim For This Useful Post:

    edgarf76 (15 May 2014)

  12. #8
    TravG's Avatar
    TravG is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    September 2008
    Posts
    2,069
    Thanks
    34
    Thanked 179 Times in 131 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RacingJim View Post
    Just the other month I noticed my theme had no less than 12 (YES, twelve!) H1 tags on the home page. Suffice to say that site home page has disappeared off the radar in Google rankings, so I await to see if it will recover now the H1 issue is sorted. I also had the small matter of a couple of bad links on a punished link network so it's hard to know which one of a myriad of potential factors got me the penalty.
    I had a site where I realized I forgot to remove the H1 tag for the site title so I had 2 H1's on every page. After I removed the second H1 tag the site did start to respond better in Google. Search is up so I will say it definitely does help.
    Live Casino USA - the best USA live online casinos. Play USA online slots and other casino games like USA online blackjack. Play See USAlegalcasinos.com to find the best USA online casino. Want to play USA online poker? Find the best poker sites at 4DeucesPoker.com.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to TravG For This Useful Post:

    edgarf76 (15 May 2014)

  14. #9
    baldidiot is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    January 2010
    Posts
    5,098
    Thanks
    433
    Thanked 2,333 Times in 1,555 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edgarf76 View Post
    Thank you guys! I am going through all my old pages to take out bold, italic, and underlines that are too aggressive on keyphrases. I didn't know if the h1 class="title" is the same as a regular h1 that you put inside the post.
    The class="title" part of it is just for css styling purposes, just like you would use on any other element (eg: img class="floatright", div class="fancypantsbox" etc..).
    onlinegamblingwebsites.com - Formally known as goodbonusguide.

    Gambling Domains: Small clear out of some of the domains we've been hoarding - see the spreadsheet here.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to baldidiot For This Useful Post:

    edgarf76 (15 May 2014)

  16. #10
    baldidiot is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    January 2010
    Posts
    5,098
    Thanks
    433
    Thanked 2,333 Times in 1,555 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ixian View Post
    If you do edit a file rather do it via a child theme. That way you won't overwrite the file if and when there is a theme update.
    Good point. Yes - do this!
    onlinegamblingwebsites.com - Formally known as goodbonusguide.

    Gambling Domains: Small clear out of some of the domains we've been hoarding - see the spreadsheet here.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to baldidiot For This Useful Post:

    edgarf76 (15 May 2014)

  18. #11
    edgarf76's Avatar
    edgarf76 is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2013
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    2,196
    Thanks
    804
    Thanked 582 Times in 429 Posts

    Default

    Thank you again. Is there. Tutorial on how to remove the h1 from the title? Do you guys think I am better off leaving it in the title and taking out the h1 in the posts while I am going through all my pages and posts anyway?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Visit Play Slots 4 Real Money and Casino Slots Money for trusted recommendations and tips on the best casinos.

  19. #12
    Pmig is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    August 2012
    Posts
    189
    Thanks
    48
    Thanked 78 Times in 55 Posts

    Default

    You can have several h1 tags on html5, ie: one for the document, other por the article. (you can read more here http://webdesign.tutsplus.com/articl...ebdesign-16824 )

    So, dependend on your document type (is is html5 or older).

  20. #13
    baldidiot is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    January 2010
    Posts
    5,098
    Thanks
    433
    Thanked 2,333 Times in 1,555 Posts

    Default

    Oh wait, I just checked your site and noticed it's just the post title that the theme is outputting as a H1, is that correct?

    In which case I'd just delete the ones from the posts (unless you have too many and find it easier to delete it from the template - shout if that's the case and I'm sure someone will guide you through it).

    Sorry for the confusion - I thought you meant there was a h1 around the site name or tagline, which is what a lot of templates do (which is annoying and usually needs editing out).
    onlinegamblingwebsites.com - Formally known as goodbonusguide.

    Gambling Domains: Small clear out of some of the domains we've been hoarding - see the spreadsheet here.

  21. #14
    edgarf76's Avatar
    edgarf76 is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2013
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    2,196
    Thanks
    804
    Thanked 582 Times in 429 Posts

    Default

    It is the titles of the posts that is the h1. But I am going through and editing old posts anyway, so I am taking them out one by one.


    Pmig it is not html5. I still have not learnt structured markup.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Visit Play Slots 4 Real Money and Casino Slots Money for trusted recommendations and tips on the best casinos.

  22. #15
    baldidiot is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    January 2010
    Posts
    5,098
    Thanks
    433
    Thanked 2,333 Times in 1,555 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edgarf76 View Post
    It is the titles of the posts that is the h1. But I am going through and editing old posts anyway, so I am taking them out one by one.k
    Ok cool - at least you've got it sorted!
    onlinegamblingwebsites.com - Formally known as goodbonusguide.

    Gambling Domains: Small clear out of some of the domains we've been hoarding - see the spreadsheet here.

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to baldidiot For This Useful Post:

    edgarf76 (16 May 2014)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •