Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Semalt.com

  1. #1
    edgarf76's Avatar
    edgarf76 is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2013
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    2,196
    Thanks
    804
    Thanked 582 Times in 429 Posts

    Default Semalt.com

    I was googling and came across an Seo site that looks decent. Does anyone have any experience with semalt.com?
    Visit Play Slots 4 Real Money and Casino Slots Money for trusted recommendations and tips on the best casinos.

  2. #2
    universal4's Avatar
    universal4 is offline Forum Administrator
    Join Date
    July 2003
    Location
    Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. John Wayne
    Posts
    33,978
    Thanks
    4,537
    Thanked 9,295 Times in 5,979 Posts

    Default

    Caution might be needed if any of these comments are true.
    http://clicky.com/forums/?id=16360
    http://www.straight.com/blogra/59320...y-flags-semalt
    http://thegrinningskull.wordpress.co...what-fk-is-it/

    It seems they started being seen as early as January, and a number of people are not impressed.

    Rick
    Universal4

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to universal4 For This Useful Post:

    edgarf76 (2 August 2014)

  4. #3
    universal4's Avatar
    universal4 is offline Forum Administrator
    Join Date
    July 2003
    Location
    Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. John Wayne
    Posts
    33,978
    Thanks
    4,537
    Thanked 9,295 Times in 5,979 Posts

    Default

    I recommend staying far away.
    https://twitter.com/hashtag/semalt

    Rick
    Universal4

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to universal4 For This Useful Post:

    edgarf76 (2 August 2014), grem (3 August 2014)

  6. #4
    universal4's Avatar
    universal4 is offline Forum Administrator
    Join Date
    July 2003
    Location
    Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. John Wayne
    Posts
    33,978
    Thanks
    4,537
    Thanked 9,295 Times in 5,979 Posts

    Default

    What I find interesting, and disgusting at the same time, is that they do NOT use a clearly defined user agent for their bot. If they did we could easily block the user agent....that says a lot about them. Most respectable crawlers will have an about crawler page, and will define the user agent so that anyone that wants to block them can.

    I also found it quite interesting that no one has been able to pin down a set of ip's or subnets that they always use, again would make blocking easier. They must jump around and bounce off proxies or??

    Rick
    Universal4

  7. #5
    universal4's Avatar
    universal4 is offline Forum Administrator
    Join Date
    July 2003
    Location
    Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. John Wayne
    Posts
    33,978
    Thanks
    4,537
    Thanked 9,295 Times in 5,979 Posts

    Default

    I thought I had finally found someone who had pinned down their ip
    http://logorrhoea.net/2014/01/how-to...sing-htaccess/
    217.23.11.15 but it turns out that is only the ip of their website, and although they may run the crawler from there, from what I am reading I don't think it will help.

    The absolute BEST comment I have read so far is
    Hi Seth,
    I would not recommend going to their website and submitting anything. I have read numerous times that this does not work and some believe they are using that as a way to confirm websites and people that have done that have found the crawling to intensify. The people running this bot have no respect for webmasters. I read on Twitter where someone had managed to redirect the semalt crawlers back to the semalt server and then the owner of the bot accused this person of launching a DDOS attack against them, when it was actually their own bots coming back at them, #semalt on twitter will bring it up.
    (bolding mine)

    that had me laughing a fair amount so I will be sure to visit the http://logorrhoea.net again to see what other entertaining information they might have.

    What I have read so far on other sites in comments etc, many claimed the ip's were all over the place different countries etc....

    Rick
    Universal4

  8. #6
    edgarf76's Avatar
    edgarf76 is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2013
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    2,196
    Thanks
    804
    Thanked 582 Times in 429 Posts

    Default

    I only did the trial but I did run my site through. I'm not going to bug out about it, there isn't anything I can do now.
    Visit Play Slots 4 Real Money and Casino Slots Money for trusted recommendations and tips on the best casinos.

  9. #7
    sportsfreak is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    February 2014
    Posts
    131
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 36 Times in 29 Posts

    Default

    Their bot is actually on my sites daily and I have been wondering about them just the other day...

  10. #8
    RacingJim is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,898
    Thanks
    896
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 845 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sportsfreak View Post
    Their bot is actually on my sites daily and I have been wondering about them just the other day...
    Same mate, I was wondering what it was but just ignored it.

  11. #9
    universal4's Avatar
    universal4 is offline Forum Administrator
    Join Date
    July 2003
    Location
    Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. John Wayne
    Posts
    33,978
    Thanks
    4,537
    Thanked 9,295 Times in 5,979 Posts

    Default

    It may be referral spam, or the bot may also be scraping and databasing content for later.

    I have read a number of reports that it ignores robots.txt and also changes the user agent after being blocked by such methods as htaccess. These actions are bad behavior by a bot.

    They do have a remove database, but I have read many reports of them returning, (sometime with more activity), after asking for removal and that also should be considered bad behavior.

    Rick
    Universal4

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to universal4 For This Useful Post:

    sportsfreak (3 August 2014)

  13. #10
    jarowe is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    July 2014
    Posts
    42
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    ah think my blog is affected by this! What should I do??

  14. #11
    Sergej_AGR is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2012
    Location
    Ruhrpott - Germany
    Posts
    217
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked 85 Times in 60 Posts

    Default

    I blocked semalt referrer spam with adding this to htaccess

    Code:
    RewriteEngine on
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} semalt\.com [OR]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} semalt\.semalt\.com [NC]
    RewriteRule .* - [F]
    Last edited by Sergej_AGR; 3 August 2014 at 6:03 pm.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Sergej_AGR For This Useful Post:

    sweetbet (3 August 2014)

  16. #12
    sportsfreak is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    February 2014
    Posts
    131
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 36 Times in 29 Posts

    Default

    http://semalt.com/project_crawler.php - says you can have your site removed from their crawl list, just tried, will see if it works.

  17. #13
    sweetbet's Avatar
    sweetbet is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    November 2012
    Posts
    2,824
    Blog Entries
    5
    Thanks
    898
    Thanked 1,574 Times in 1,086 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sergej_AGR View Post
    I blocked semalt referrer spam with adding this to htaccess

    Code:
    RewriteEngine on
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} semalt\.com [OR]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} semalt\.semalt\.com [NC]
    RewriteRule .* - [F]
    Thanks for that. I'm going to add it to one of my sites that has been getting hit quite a bit by semalt.

  18. #14
    edgarf76's Avatar
    edgarf76 is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2013
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    2,196
    Thanks
    804
    Thanked 582 Times in 429 Posts

    Default

    I just added my site to the list, hopefully no harm was done in the first place.
    Visit Play Slots 4 Real Money and Casino Slots Money for trusted recommendations and tips on the best casinos.

  19. #15
    sportsfreak is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    February 2014
    Posts
    131
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 36 Times in 29 Posts

    Default

    looks like it worked, no semalt bot on my sites in the last hours

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to sportsfreak For This Useful Post:

    universal4 (4 August 2014)

  21. #16
    universal4's Avatar
    universal4 is offline Forum Administrator
    Join Date
    July 2003
    Location
    Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. John Wayne
    Posts
    33,978
    Thanks
    4,537
    Thanked 9,295 Times in 5,979 Posts

    Default

    I am interested if this continues for a number of weeks, especially after someone runs a compare with your site.

    Rick
    Universal4

  22. #17
    kfau is offline New Member
    Join Date
    August 2014
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by universal4 View Post
    I am interested if this continues for a number of weeks, especially after someone runs a compare with your site.

    Rick
    Universal4
    Hi folks,

    Full disclosure - I work for an SEO agency and have been tracking semalt on both personal and work fronts.
    I received an update from google about this thread and wanted to drop in with some details.

    I tried their crawler removal tool on a few sites, it does stop briefly, then comes back - blocking it is the best method.
    Here is a post I have done with a lot of research and information, with 2 options to block them at the bottom.
    kymodo(dot)com(dot)au what-is-semalt-doing-on-your-website/

    If you have any questions, please feel free to ask either on the post or on twitter - I'm KarenDFrancis
    Hope that sheds some light.

  23. #18
    edgarf76's Avatar
    edgarf76 is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2013
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    2,196
    Thanks
    804
    Thanked 582 Times in 429 Posts

    Default Semalt.com

    How did you receive a update from google about this thread kfau ?
    Visit Play Slots 4 Real Money and Casino Slots Money for trusted recommendations and tips on the best casinos.

  24. #19
    kfau is offline New Member
    Join Date
    August 2014
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edgarf76 View Post
    How did you receive a update from google about this thread kfau ?
    Thanks for asking, sorry I didn't explain that previously.
    I use google alerts - google(dot)com/alerts and one of the terms I have been tracking recently is semalt.

  25. #20
    edgarf76's Avatar
    edgarf76 is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2013
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    2,196
    Thanks
    804
    Thanked 582 Times in 429 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kfau View Post
    Thanks for asking, sorry I didn't explain that previously.
    I use google alerts - google(dot)com/alerts and one of the terms I have been tracking recently is semalt.
    I gotcha
    Visit Play Slots 4 Real Money and Casino Slots Money for trusted recommendations and tips on the best casinos.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •