Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    The Buzz's Avatar
    The Buzz is offline GPWA Gossip Hound
    Join Date
    February 2007
    Location
    Newton, MA
    Posts
    4,481
    Thanks
    454
    Thanked 2,030 Times in 1,269 Posts

    Default Is it time for an SEO revolt?

    Over in Search Engine Journal, they're open discussing whether it's time for webmasters to revolt against Google. The basic gist of the argument is that paid and sponsored search results are kicking out organic results, and webmasters need to diversify. It's an interesting argument, but Buzzy isn't sure how much traction it's going to get.

    http://www.searchenginejournal.com/s...-google/66425/

  2. #2
    Doolally's Avatar
    Doolally is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    February 2003
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    4,584
    Thanks
    501
    Thanked 732 Times in 572 Posts

    Default

    Great in theory but the masses will still use Google, paid ads in premium spots or not. Until the service Google provides deteriorates or someone comes up with a better search engine then things will only get worse.

  3. #3
    universal4's Avatar
    universal4 is offline Forum Administrator
    Join Date
    July 2003
    Location
    Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. John Wayne
    Posts
    33,981
    Thanks
    4,539
    Thanked 9,295 Times in 5,979 Posts

    Default

    Funny isn't it....and webmasters and their fascination with that stupid little green bar is what made Google.

    Sure it helped that back in the early days they actually worked toward valid results, and for many years provided that, but I figured this day would come....

    What's even more ironic to me is that back in the early days Microsoft was the big mean company that everyone wanted to go after for having a monopoly, and if it wasn't for Microsoft, Google would have almost NO COMPETITION whatsoever. Granted Bing isn't the competition Google should face, but at least it is some.

    It's OUR FAULT, we never search for things, nor do we tell people to search for things, we tell them "Just google it".

    Are we now willing to now start saying, "Just Bing it"?

    Rick
    Universal4

  4. #4
    thebookiesoffers is offline Former Member
    Join Date
    November 2009
    Location
    Leicester, UK
    Posts
    3,225
    Thanks
    412
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 1,009 Posts

    Default

    google still provides me with what I want when Im searching so have no interest in using another service. It makes me laugh that the majority of people that I have heard moaning about google are webmasters that aren't performing how they would like.

    even before I had a website or interest in the search engines I never clicked the ads anyway

  5. #5
    xecutable's Avatar
    xecutable is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2011
    Location
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Posts
    1,979
    Thanks
    583
    Thanked 1,225 Times in 708 Posts

    Default

    And they started with a quote, that a search engine serving ads would always have the interest of the advertiser, rather than the user. A few years later, Adword shows up and that moto was forgotten forever.

  6. #6
    ujjwal is offline New Member
    Join Date
    August 2013
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I think things might go in paid advertising direction and then stabilise after having a cut in traffic going to organic results.this might happen as advertisers become adept at both being relevant to most search queries and at the same time able to extract good roi.

  7. #7
    slotplayer is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    September 2006
    Posts
    1,044
    Thanks
    198
    Thanked 322 Times in 252 Posts

    Default

    Enjoy organic traffic while you can because it will eventually be all paid inclusion.

  8. #8
    edgarf76's Avatar
    edgarf76 is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2013
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    2,196
    Thanks
    804
    Thanked 582 Times in 429 Posts

    Default

    things go in cycles I do not think anyone can really predict where SEO is headed in the future IMO. The reason I say that is because of all of the drastic changes. For instance if Bing gets a much larger market share, then google may stop doing spam algo's. Changing things like that may drive people to Bing and I would not underestimate Bill Gates and whatever the next internet craze is and the next "internet geniuses".
    Visit Play Slots 4 Real Money and Casino Slots Money for trusted recommendations and tips on the best casinos.

  9. #9
    Doolally's Avatar
    Doolally is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    February 2003
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    4,584
    Thanks
    501
    Thanked 732 Times in 572 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slotplayer View Post
    Enjoy organic traffic while you can because it will eventually be all paid inclusion.
    I don't disagree with you, however, if everything changes to paid inclusion then quality generally deteriorates too. Less quality, less people clicking your links making you money. Google have to play a pretty tight balancing act and I suspect natural results will always have to be a part of that.

  10. #10
    RacingJim is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,898
    Thanks
    896
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 845 Posts

    Default

    Never underestimate the public though, most people I know realise that the paid ads are just advertisements and go for the organic results first, it's only people less savvy on the net who fall for it. The day that paid adverts becomes the basis of a search engines results is the day people will move to another search engine.

    Same with things like Facebook, fair enough, feed me a few targeted ads if you have to, but if they ever tried to make the whole thing a paid service people would move on to the next thing. Google just has to keep striking the balance.

  11. #11
    NorwegianViking is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    August 2013
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    18
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts

    Default

    Theoretically I am all for it, but I think a SEO revolt won't really work, and would be very hard to pull of in reality. But I guess any initiative in this direction is good, maybe then we'll eventually get close to having an impact of some kind on Google one day? But I think that day is far, far away...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •