Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    The Buzz's Avatar
    The Buzz is offline GPWA Gossip Hound
    Join Date
    February 2007
    Location
    Newton, MA
    Posts
    4,478
    Thanks
    454
    Thanked 2,029 Times in 1,268 Posts

    Default U.K. bans Fabulous Bingo ad

    The Fabulous Bingo TV ad campaign which saw "dowdy" women transformed to "glamorous" after playing Fabulous Bingo has been banned by the U.K.'s Advertising Standards Authority, according to The Guardian.

    The ASA said the implication that playing bingo "could result in enhanced attractiveness and an improvement in self-image" is not an appropriate advertising message, according to the report.

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012...?newsfeed=true

  2. #2
    lowrisk is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    June 2011
    Posts
    801
    Thanks
    80
    Thanked 180 Times in 132 Posts

    Default

    Are you taking the p**s? With all the absolute trash adverts that are all over the British TV screen at the moment, Claim back PPI, have you had an injury, etc etc etc.....THIS GETS BANNED...Glad we've got our priorities right

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to lowrisk For This Useful Post:

    Anthony (21 June 2012)

  4. #3
    Anthony's Avatar
    Anthony is offline GPWA/APCW Program Director
    Join Date
    June 2003
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    7,294
    Blog Entries
    67
    Thanks
    2,201
    Thanked 3,609 Times in 1,901 Posts

    Default

    I thought playing bingo would enhance my attractiveness, thank you ASA for protecting us.

    At what point does common sense come into play? Are there people who really think a makeover is just magically going to happen?
    I am here to help if you have any issues with an affiliate program.
    Become involved in GPWA to truly make the association your own:
    Apply for Private Membership | Apply for the GPWA Seal | Partner with a GPWA Sponsor | Volunteer as a Moderator


  5. #4
    Maria F is offline No longer with Harbour Gaming Affiliates
    Join Date
    November 2010
    Location
    Cyprus
    Posts
    2,406
    Thanks
    368
    Thanked 337 Times in 248 Posts

    Default

    I don’t think that is fare, what about the deodorant Lynx adverts. They are all about women falling over the men as soon as they use the deodorant, sending the message that men become more appealing, manly and attractive when they use it.

    I mean the advert is not very good, but not shocking. Even bad publicity is good, so I am positive a lot of people are googling this Bingo now LOL.

  6. #5
    F-L-C is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    August 2010
    Posts
    1,049
    Thanks
    141
    Thanked 335 Times in 256 Posts

    Default

    Maria! That's exactly what I was thinking about the Lynx adverts and its not just Lynx that uses this concept, a bunch of companies do!

  7. #6
    Maria F is offline No longer with Harbour Gaming Affiliates
    Join Date
    November 2010
    Location
    Cyprus
    Posts
    2,406
    Thanks
    368
    Thanked 337 Times in 248 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by F-L-C View Post
    Maria! That's exactly what I was thinking about the Lynx adverts and its not just Lynx that uses this concept, a bunch of companies do!
    Yea! It is the normal marketing tactic, you get prettier, richer, sexier, etc LOL

  8. #7
    lowrisk is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    June 2011
    Posts
    801
    Thanks
    80
    Thanked 180 Times in 132 Posts

    Default

    Don't all shoot me down at once, but depending on the media coverage this gets. As no doubt many bingo players will be shocked etc.

    This may well get Fabulous bingo more publicity than the advert itself. I might be wrong, but we shall see.

  9. #8
    universal4's Avatar
    universal4 is offline Forum Administrator
    Join Date
    July 2003
    Location
    Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. John Wayne
    Posts
    33,976
    Thanks
    4,537
    Thanked 9,294 Times in 5,978 Posts

    Default

    Damn, of all times to be out of ammo....

    I tend to agree with that though (so I don't need to make a fast run to the sporting goods store)....

    I would be interested to see if their traffic didn't take a spike shortly after the story broke....and I bet the searches went up also...

    Anyone have any pages with the keywords that saw an increase in traffic?

    Rick
    Universal4
    Gambling World Online Roulette Online Blackjack Live Online Games Sports Betting Horse Racing
    Casino Affiliate Programs
    Hosting and Domain Names
    Gambling Industry Association
    GPWA Moderation by Me and My Big Bad Security Self
    If an affiliate program is not small affiliate friendly (especially small US Affiliate), then they are NOT Affiliate Friendly!

  10. #9
    bonusbetting is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    January 2011
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    391
    Thanks
    39
    Thanked 58 Times in 52 Posts

    Default

    Paddy Power love getting their ads banned in the UK, they must get 10X the media coverage from it.
    It's definitely a deliberate policy, like O'Leary of Ryanair - stir up some controversy and you get huge free publicity.
    Interested in quality, relevant link exchanges and deals, especially with UK sites.

  11. #10
    FictionNet is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    December 1969
    Posts
    5,299
    Thanks
    1,453
    Thanked 1,278 Times in 672 Posts

    Default

    Banned ads often go viral - remember the Kylie underwear ad? I've still got a copy of that somewhere. I'm gonna shoot an ad for casinobeacon, with someone doing something disgusting to a ferret. Should do the trick.

  12. #11
    ocreditor's Avatar
    ocreditor is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    April 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    7,354
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    7,103
    Thanked 4,343 Times in 2,836 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    I thought playing bingo would enhance my attractiveness, thank you ASA for protecting us.

    At what point does common sense come into play? Are there people who really think a makeover is just magically going to happen?
    Couldn't agree more

  13. #12
    Golan.WingateAff's Avatar
    Golan.WingateAff is offline Restricted Account
    Join Date
    June 2012
    Posts
    79
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts

    Default

    well, like they said, all publicity is good publicity
    and I think Maria is right about the deodorant commercial, and it's not the only one there's alot of those that do the exact same thing.. I guess someone had a reason (probably $) to prevent this bingo commercial from going on air

    Quote Originally Posted by FictionNet View Post
    Banned ads often go viral - remember the Kylie underwear ad? I've still got a copy of that somewhere. I'm gonna shoot an ad for casinobeacon, with someone doing something disgusting to a ferret. Should do the trick.
    LOL, sounds like a great plan, making alot of commercials that get banned to promote your casino might be useful actually hehe but please no harming the ferret :P

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •