Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    FurnessPoker's Avatar
    FurnessPoker is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    February 2009
    Location
    Barrow-in-Furness
    Posts
    75
    Blog Entries
    4
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts

    Default What has happend to Poker Tournament Coverage

    I just wanted to say that I found that the coverage of major poker games lately has been at the all time lowest, I mean getting live updates from the WSOP 2009 games were just about nil, and sine then I have found the same in a lot of other major games, if they expect a following which obviously may lead to conversion then they should look at promoting their live tournaments, I would even offer my services if they covered my expenses to give them updates every 5-10 minutes along with photos and video footage. Yes I am on a rant, 5 of my players attending a major event and even though they did sporadic updates they covered a couple of celebs and mates, thats all. God Bless Phone technology, but please, please, please get real and if your running a big tourney get some coverage!!!!

  2. #2
    stefanaltzer is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    October 2009
    Location
    Romania & UK
    Posts
    38
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Default It's annoying...

    You're completely right!
    I have my mail account in the newsletter of the wsop website and although I'm more the Hold'em guy, I love to wathc all types of poker.

    Poker basically a life-attuitude rather than a card game. One would think, the high rollers and the big entertainment companies like WSOP would care to have their brand mentioned in public when events like the Europe tournament will take place.

    It's no wonder that more and more high rollers simply loose interest in playing the real game and move to online casinos for entertainment.
    In Chicago I have attended an est. 80.000 $ tournament that wasn't mediatised AT ALL... believe it or not, only half of the given spots were occupied during the game... the end score went down to about 46 grand. It was still a win for someone but i thin kyou get my point.

    But hey, the good news is, even if someone leaves the real deals withoput mentioning, the big names will always ring a bell...
    I'm not afraid of WSOP or USPokerFED will ever get their names forgotten...

    See Y'all!

  3. #3
    Shaun O'neill is offline Former Affiliate Manager
    Join Date
    June 2009
    Location
    Malta
    Posts
    1,320
    Thanks
    115
    Thanked 247 Times in 192 Posts

    Default

    I guess the reason that coverage is getting less and less is down to the following:

    To many events

    1. The cost of sending people to events is huge
    2. Very little ROI on covering events
    Just my thoughts.

    Shaun

  4. #4
    stefanaltzer is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    October 2009
    Location
    Romania & UK
    Posts
    38
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Default Maybe... maybe not

    Low ROI???? Well this all depends on what you do with the people that read/see that the announced event is coming up.

    Do a nice e-mail campaign out of it and you have 10.000 e-mailadresses in your newsletter..
    with a percentage of 3-9% conversion you can easily sell poker books to these people or just have them invited to a charity or whatever....

    The costs for a campaign are high though, in that you're right!

    Cheers!

  5. #5
    bbonline's Avatar
    bbonline is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    January 2009
    Posts
    339
    Blog Entries
    5
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 44 Times in 41 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun O'neill View Post
    I guess the reason that coverage is getting less and less is down to the following:

    To many events

    1. The cost of sending people to events is huge
    2. Very little ROI on covering events

    Just my thoughts.

    Shaun
    Or maybe they can't grab any sponsor to help them in making the event live.
    Imagine the cost when viewing online, isn't it too expensive enough?

  6. #6
    TheGooner's Avatar
    TheGooner is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    4,337
    Thanks
    1,994
    Thanked 4,308 Times in 2,048 Posts

    Lightbulb

    The time of the poker rock star seems to quickly be coming to an end. It was fun while it lasted - but the shear variation of winners - and the fact that only a few known pros can win in the massive events means that the following dwindled quickly.

    Most casual players simply are not interested in the blow by blow, hand by hand accounts of play, or even who finished where in an $80K tourney.

    It just seems that the whole set-up of live-play poker tournaments is unstructured in terms of build-up and other than the WSOP there is no momentum at all during the year.

    Even within the WSOP there are too many events, too many variants, too many buy-ins (and rebuys), and even the big no-limit $10K buy-in shot itself in the foot with the "November Nine" delay.

    That does NOT build suspense - that kills the event dead - and then two months later people find out that the final table played plast night and xxx won.

    The $50K horse event was a step in the right direction for public appeal ... but too little.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGooner For This Useful Post:

    FurnessPoker (20 October 2009)

  8. #7
    CK - Schalk's Avatar
    CK - Schalk is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    March 2008
    Posts
    242
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 121 Times in 81 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGooner View Post
    The time of the poker rock star seems to quickly be coming to an end. It was fun while it lasted - but the shear variation of winners - and the fact that only a few known pros can win in the massive events means that the following dwindled quickly.

    Most casual players simply are not interested in the blow by blow, hand by hand accounts of play, or even who finished where in an $80K tourney.

    It just seems that the whole set-up of live-play poker tournaments is unstructured in terms of build-up and other than the WSOP there is no momentum at all during the year.

    Even within the WSOP there are too many events, too many variants, too many buy-ins (and rebuys), and even the big no-limit $10K buy-in shot itself in the foot with the "November Nine" delay.

    That does NOT build suspense - that kills the event dead - and then two months later people find out that the final table played plast night and xxx won.

    The $50K horse event was a step in the right direction for public appeal ... but too little.
    I agree with all this. Gooner, you are a wise man

  9. #8
    sagiscub is offline New Member
    Join Date
    October 2009
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    congratulations to EYECON and SOMU.i really like your works.hope to see u in the next challenge .....

  10. #9
    bbonline's Avatar
    bbonline is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    January 2009
    Posts
    339
    Blog Entries
    5
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 44 Times in 41 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sagiscub View Post
    congratulations to EYECON and SOMU.i really like your works.hope to see u in the next challenge .....
    Excuse me? Would you so kind to tell who are those names you mentioned? Are they a part of the biggest tournament that win the highest price?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •