Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    The Buzz's Avatar
    The Buzz is offline GPWA Gossip Hound
    Join Date
    February 2007
    Location
    Newton, MA
    Posts
    4,484
    Thanks
    455
    Thanked 2,031 Times in 1,270 Posts

    Default Paddy Power offering wagers on oil spill

    Never one to shy away from a major news story, Irish bookmaker Paddy Power is posting odds on what species would be first to become extinct as a result of the major BP oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.

    From The New York Times:

    Odds are the Kemp's ridley turtle, and endangered species that migrates to the Gulf this time of year, would go first. A $5 bet on the turtle would win $9 if it's listed as extinct at any time because of the spill. Less likely species -- the gulf sturgeon, smalltooth sawfish and elkhorn coral -- have payout rates of 20-to-1.

    In a statement announcing the extinction pool, the Irish bookmaker said it hoped the betting would "highlight the environmental catastrophe" and the "sure bet" that it would lead to the loss of some marine species.

    "We kind of have a very simple philosophy at Paddy Power -- within reason if there is a very newsworthy event that are people are talking about, people should be allowed to back up their opinion with some cash," said Ken Robertson, a company spokesman.
    The full odds can be found here:

    http://www.paddypower.com/bet?action...come%20extinct

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to The Buzz For This Useful Post:

    Vrindavan (26 May 2010)

  3. #2
    Adamvv's Avatar
    Adamvv is offline Non-sponsor Affiliate Program
    Join Date
    July 2009
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    129
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 16 Times in 14 Posts

    Default

    I can understand offering wagering opportunities on controversial matters to increase hype surrounding a bookmaker, but this may have gone too far.

    This is a disaster, and looking to profit from the loss of life and ultimate extinction of a species rubs me the wrong way.

    Thumbs down on this one.

  4. #3
    Professor's Avatar
    Professor is offline In Memoriam, 1963-2010
    Join Date
    April 2002
    Posts
    2,289
    Thanks
    70
    Thanked 33 Times in 18 Posts

    Default

    This is in extremely poor taste. I live in Florida and our state relies on tourist income to survive, our beaches and our fishing are in jeopardy. As Adamvv said this is a disaster and taking bets on how extensive the damage will be is aweful.

    Paddy deserves a sound whack on the head with a shillelagh for this one.

  5. #4
    mobilebadboy's Avatar
    mobilebadboy is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    July 2004
    Location
    Mobile, AL
    Posts
    153
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts

    Default

    Agreed. I'm in one of the 2 coastal counties of Alabama. As with Florida, the beaches and fishing are key economic factors for this state. I know quite a few people who rely on these waters (oyster farming, charter fishing, general fishing, etc) to support themselves and their familes and they have been hit hard by this.

  6. #5
    MarkJohn's Avatar
    MarkJohn is offline Sponsor Affiliate Program
    Join Date
    February 2010
    Posts
    22
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    Yes, I have to go ahead and click the virtual "Dislike" button on this one. When I see things that I believe are in poor taste, I'll often bite my tongue as, well, to each their own. But this is just going a little (perhaps a lot) to far. Profiting from this disaster is really just sad. I'm sorry to see it's happening.

  7. #6
    GCG
    GCG is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    February 2009
    Location
    Not here
    Posts
    1,293
    Thanks
    306
    Thanked 777 Times in 430 Posts

    Default

    PP anything for the money ?

    I was about to signup with the paddy power gang but this changed my mind, tasteless wagering promo IMO.

    Such sponsors should be delisted for offering/taking bets on environmental and natural disasters, animal cruelty and people's grieves.


    I would rather take a shovel and burry Paddy Power under a layer of oily muck, you bunch of insane Idiots !!



  8. #7
    universal4's Avatar
    universal4 is online now Forum Administrator
    Join Date
    July 2003
    Location
    Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. John Wayne
    Posts
    34,003
    Thanks
    4,546
    Thanked 9,298 Times in 5,982 Posts

    Default

    Well I still think trying to make a joke of the confessional was in more poor taste than this, but this runs a close second to it....

    Geez, if we have any hurricanes in Florida this year, what's next, they take bets on how many families lose loved ones?

    Rick
    Universal4
    Gambling World Online Roulette Online Blackjack Live Online Games Sports Betting Horse Racing
    Casino Affiliate Programs
    Hosting and Domain Names
    Gambling Industry Association
    GPWA Moderation by Me and My Big Bad Security Self
    If an affiliate program is not small affiliate friendly (especially small US Affiliate), then they are NOT Affiliate Friendly!

  9. #8
    Miss B is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    April 2010
    Posts
    59
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    The oil spill is a catastrophe, not a scheme to profit from. This is a real disappointment from Paddy Power. I would expect better sense from one of the world’s leading bookmakers.

  10. #9
    Chips's Avatar
    Chips is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    October 2007
    Location
    God's Country
    Posts
    3,618
    Thanks
    1,040
    Thanked 1,202 Times in 886 Posts

    Default

    Not surprised at all that PP did this. This just hit my inbox:

    Hi guys,

    Offering odds on airports closing this Summer is proving to be very effective in taking the risk out of an ash spoilt holiday.

    Travellers (no, not those kind of "travellers") are taking the sting out of a cancelled trip, hedging their holidays with Paddy Power.


    Banners & textlinks (Media ID 3382 & 3383) to support the new holiday protection productare live in the Media Gallery's Novelty section now.

    In case you missed it the first time, here's a Press Release outlining how it works.
    Get in on the Ash-tion - Get your banners & links up and
    Make Cash from Ash today!

    Cheers!
    Paddy's Affiliates
    affiliates@paddypower.com
    I am leaning on the removal of the poker room and casino from my sites, not that I made diddly with them anyway but attempting to capitalize on the misfortune of others is not a bit comical.
    --
    "People who are unable to motivate themselves must be content with mediocrity." ~Andrew Carnegie~

  11. #10
    MarkJohn's Avatar
    MarkJohn is offline Sponsor Affiliate Program
    Join Date
    February 2010
    Posts
    22
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    While Paddy Power may be trying to profit off of the disaster, the guy behind this Twitter feed is raising money for healthygulf.org while amusing us all: http://twitter.com/BPGlobalPR

  12. #11
    casinogod's Avatar
    casinogod is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    August 2002
    Location
    England
    Posts
    389
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 79 Times in 47 Posts

    Default

    Now I have seen it all, gotta admit the holiday one is kinda funny. If I was flying I might even take a bet myself seems much more chance of getting cash from a bookie than a travel agent or airline right now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chips View Post
    Not surprised at all that PP did this. This just hit my inbox:



    I am leaning on the removal of the poker room and casino from my sites, not that I made diddly with them anyway but attempting to capitalize on the misfortune of others is not a bit comical.

  13. #12
    LuckyLizzy's Avatar
    LuckyLizzy is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    September 2009
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    366
    Thanks
    59
    Thanked 50 Times in 38 Posts

    Default

    seams like paddy will do just about anything for publicity..I really like the Irish theme of the brand but this really turns me off.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •