The Buzz is offline GPWA Gossip Hound
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,509 Times in 912 Posts

Default Betfair entering U.S. market

European betting giant Betfair is entering the U.S. market after acquiring the TV Games Network, the official TV and interactive wagering partner of the National Thoroughbred Racing Association.

Gerard Cunningham, President of Betfair U.S, says:

"We are tremendously excited to be the new owners of TVG and look forward to building upon the worldwide experience of Betfair to help grow the business. We believe TVG to be the premium product in the sector, with exceptional staff and loyal customers, and we look forward to working with the horseracing industry to help promote this great sport."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to The Buzz For This Useful Post:

LuckyLove8 (28 January 2009)

AmCan is offline Private Member
    Thanks

Wow, TVG is the leading horseracing cable network and one of the largest US horsebooks. This gives then a Legal book in the US!

LuckyLove8 is offline Private Member
    Thanks

wow... i love Betfair.. i've been waiting for this to happen. this is going to be huge

matted is offline Public Member
    Thanks

Hmm... Entering the US market may mean different things. I'd LOVE to see it, but can't imagine they'll be taking sports or horse bets anytime soon...
    Owner, Cognitive Powers, Inc.
    Soon to be ex-webmaster
    Facebook, Twitter, and Linked In

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by matted View Post
    Hmm... Entering the US market may mean different things. I'd LOVE to see it, but can't imagine they'll be taking sports or horse bets anytime soon...
    why? because of legal reasons?

the US as a huge horse betting culture. itd be a huge market if they took their punter-to-punter betting platform to the US. I don't think the yanks have anything like this yet

joeyl is offline Public Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I don't think many American punters will be too happy about Betfair's premium charge.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joeyl View Post
    I don't think many American punters will be too happy about Betfair's premium charge.
    well not many people on the other side the Atlantic were very happy about it either... but seriously despite the press it really affects a tiny tiny minority of players. You need to have an account which is in profit over the last 60 weeks plus if the total fees during the last 60 weeks are less than 20% of your gross profit. This is a serious minority.... by Betfair's estimates it only affects 0.5% of their accounts.

i've always wondered whether the bad press was worth skimming a little off their best customers...

still for the most part, betfair offers a better deal to nearly every other punter than the traditional bookies can.