Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    The Buzz's Avatar
    The Buzz is offline GPWA Gossip Hound
    Join Date
    February 2007
    Location
    Newton, MA
    Posts
    4,484
    Thanks
    455
    Thanked 2,031 Times in 1,270 Posts

    Default Betfair pulls out of Germany

    Betfair says it is too expensive to operate in Germany with a 5% tax on turnover for sports betting.

    http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8M730B20121107

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Buzz For This Useful Post:

    TheGooner (18 November 2012), universal4 (15 June 2013)

  3. #2
    Nick.RevenueJet's Avatar
    Nick.RevenueJet is offline Non-sponsor Affiliate Program
    Join Date
    February 2012
    Posts
    374
    Thanks
    143
    Thanked 214 Times in 125 Posts

    Default

    I wouldn't say it's a huge loss to the German economy, you have to keep things in perspective.
    I believe the purpose of the move is to try get some other operators to join in, applying further pressure on the government. Whether it would work or not, only time will tell.
    Anyway it's nice to see a company seeing its profit margins cut and instead of trying to work out temporary solutions, just gracefully stepping out of the market.

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nick.RevenueJet For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    gavind is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    December 2012
    Posts
    30
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    All I can say here. Is that really, they are missing out on a lot of money here. Serious players come from Germany. I hope they would reconsider this soon.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to gavind For This Useful Post:


  7. #4
    UKCasinoOnline is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    December 2009
    Posts
    115
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 27 Times in 21 Posts

    Default

    This comes as a big surprise, given how big a market Germany reportedly is, I hope Betfair aren't making a hasty decision here, or getting a bit too complacent. I guess we'll never really know either way though to be honest!
    UK Casino Online - Seven of the best casinos, Game Guides and Slots reviews

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to UKCasinoOnline For This Useful Post:


  9. #5
    F4Tay is offline New Member
    Join Date
    January 2013
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    Exchange betting companies run at such small margins, basically any country which is taxed on turnover at a percentage over 2 or 3 percent pretty much kills the model. The only way they can combat the tax is to raise its commission on markets which takes away its competitive edge. Think we will see a major shift in betfair in the next few years to incorporate a more of a traditional sportsbook model. I see already they have pulled out of the planned venture into California.

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to F4Tay For This Useful Post:


  11. #6
    Roulette Zeitung is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    July 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    4,413
    Blog Entries
    5
    Thanks
    5,946
    Thanked 6,644 Times in 2,930 Posts

    Default

    Hello,

    it's the result of the 16 gouverneurs from the German states. The German Interstate Gambling Treaty was born only to eleminate the online competition and to make the cash tills ring.

    Some politicians here in Germany want an internet censorship (forced proxy), but it's very difficult to enforce it.

    Unlike other countries no gambling companie owner must have fear of being arrested or imprisoned. In this matter Germany is a toothless tiger.

    Leopold

  12. #7
    medlington is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    August 2012
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    40
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Could I get blocked from my own betfair account because of this though?

    I reported some strange activity to them as my account was showing that it had been accessed from Germany several times yet I hadnt been there and it turned out that I was using free wifi in a few pubs and the servers for the free wifi were in Germany.

    Will they continue to let me bet if I connect from a German based server as my account was created as an English account and has English bank details etc?

    How will they go about identifying which Germans are in the 16 states and which are in the one that allows it or have they completely pulled out of Germany not just the 16?

    Im sure they've got this sorted but could cause lots of issues if people get blocked from their own account while trying to bet from pubs etc

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •