Peruvian Government declares that indigenous as not first class citizens and ordered to kill.
Hello Everyone,
First of all, I am sorry for placing this post here as couldn’t find an appropriate place
where to communicate what is happening on the other side of the world.
On June 5th, the president of Peru, Alan Garcia, ordered helicopter gun-ships and many armed troops to assault a peaceful and legal protest from the indigenous communities from Bagua who were protesting the entry of foreign multinational mining companies on their homelands. There have been more than 40 people killed among indigenous and army plus 1000s of indigenous who have disappeared.
Alan Garcia declared to the local news that indigenous are not first class citizens and they can not rule the Amazon and he was going to take action.
Peru has a new trade with U.S. (U.S. Peru Promotional Trade Agreement)
where some of the resources from the Amazon are part of the trade. The Peruvian government created a new law to have full control over the natural resources from the Peruvian’s Amazon without asking permission from Indigenous who live in that area.
They have been protesting pacifically for about 2 months asking the government to derogate this new law for protection of the environment and their families.
I was borned in Peru and immigrated to Canada when I was very young. Canada is my new home; however, I still have part of my heart in Peru. Hearing this type of news made me so angry to a dictatorship government who declare themselves as Democratic.
More details here:
http://www.democracynow.org/2009/6/10/peru
I am sorry for taking your time but I really wanted to share this with all of you.
Connie Burstin


LinkBack URL
About LinkBacks
Reply With Quote






