I don't see any difference between using your credit card to gamble, or using your credit card to buy things online - say books, dvds, cinema tickets ... whatever.
Or for that matter in the real world - where people will pay for all sorts of things that they want with money that they don't have. Credit Cards, Hire purchase, Loan agreements. All debt that the purchaser will struggle to pay.
If the government wants to protect people who get into trouble by over-spending on credit cards balances that they cannot pay - then say so - and start clamping down on the bank issuance of credit cards and high limits to people with no ability to pay ...
(Of course we will not see THAT happen - because overnight economies would tank if consumers did not retain easy access to credit)
I have money - I have lots of money. But I still use my credit card.
I deliberately use a credit card for spending (and pay the balance off each month) because it has worldwide acceptance, and the T&Cs with each credit card give consumers a lot of protection against fraudulent use and bad merchants if there is a phantom charge or dispute about the service later on.
The reality is that is an incorrect moral judgement being made regarding credit cards and their use. It's a political grandstand headline but it's a false position and a slippery slope towards greater government control of personal finances.