Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Frank Benjamin is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    April 2008
    Posts
    378
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 46 Times in 35 Posts

    Default Geo-Targeting Question

    My site is primarily for U.S. sports bettors. While I do have a few articles about soccer and other topics that might interest interest European bettors, my main target is the U.S. bettor.

    With this in mind, should I set my geo-targeting to the United States? Or should I allow it to have a worldwide reach and let the visitors decide if it is for them or not?

  2. #2
    Aaz's Avatar
    Aaz
    Aaz is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    March 2004
    Posts
    49
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    If your primary target is google, then i'd prefer having two different sites for two different regions. On one hand it will takes more content and links to get everything up, but on the other hand you'll be insured from geo glitches after algo changes.

  3. #3
    Frank Benjamin is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    April 2008
    Posts
    378
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 46 Times in 35 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aaz View Post
    If your primary target is google, then i'd prefer having two different sites for two different regions.
    Not sure what you what you mean by this statement and "targeting google"

  4. #4
    Razbet's Avatar
    Razbet is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    January 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    24
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    I will prefer to have something targeted to a specific area than to have a lot of info for the entire world. If it's primarily to "US bettors" why not targeting US only ?

  5. #5
    GaryTheScubaGuy's Avatar
    GaryTheScubaGuy is offline In Memorium, 1966-2018
    Join Date
    December 2008
    Location
    Malta
    Posts
    745
    Blog Entries
    22
    Thanks
    223
    Thanked 430 Times in 205 Posts

    Default

    I think you play the safe bet and protect your current traffic and rankings. Create a subdomain or two and use geotargeting for each, and leave the root alone. Use google trends and your analytics to identify your top geo-targets and set them accordingly.
    GaryTheScubaGuy

  6. #6
    Frank Benjamin is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    April 2008
    Posts
    378
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 46 Times in 35 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GaryTheScubaGuy View Post
    I think you play the safe bet and protect your current traffic and rankings. Create a subdomain or two and use geotargeting for each, and leave the root alone. Use google trends and your analytics to identify your top geo-targets and set them accordingly.
    Gary, this is the site that I redirected the root to a subdomain to escape a Google Penalty. I really hadn't planned on setting up other domains that target other regions because I only follow U.S. sports. Maybe in the future I will get writers and target other locations but for now, it is simply the subdomain I made to escape Google's wrath.

    With that in mind, do you have any other advise?

  7. #7
    GaryTheScubaGuy's Avatar
    GaryTheScubaGuy is offline In Memorium, 1966-2018
    Join Date
    December 2008
    Location
    Malta
    Posts
    745
    Blog Entries
    22
    Thanks
    223
    Thanked 430 Times in 205 Posts

    Default

    HI Frank

    No not at the moment. You need to be careful with further changes until your site settles.
    GaryTheScubaGuy

  8. #8
    Frank Benjamin is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    April 2008
    Posts
    378
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 46 Times in 35 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GaryTheScubaGuy View Post
    HI Frank

    No not at the moment. You need to be careful with further changes until your site settles.
    Ok, sounds good Gary. All I am doing now is working on a new design and cleaning up the server - I have a bunch of old images and templates that are no longer in use. Other than that, I am working on some new content. Not doing any SEO for a month after I see where it settles.

    Thanks!

  9. #9
    Peter_Palmer is offline New Member
    Join Date
    January 2013
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    If you want more information on this you should research the Google Venice update. It's something that a lot of digital marketers or webmasters have failed to comment on and I'm assuming that a lot of people are unaware of it given how much talk about Google Panda and Penguin there is in comparison.

  10. #10
    GaryTheScubaGuy's Avatar
    GaryTheScubaGuy is offline In Memorium, 1966-2018
    Join Date
    December 2008
    Location
    Malta
    Posts
    745
    Blog Entries
    22
    Thanks
    223
    Thanked 430 Times in 205 Posts

    Default

    You already said you have an automated xml sitemap creator and uploader right?
    GaryTheScubaGuy

  11. #11
    Frank Benjamin is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    April 2008
    Posts
    378
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 46 Times in 35 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GaryTheScubaGuy View Post
    You already said you have an automated xml sitemap creator and uploader right?
    Yes Gary, I have a plugin that automates the xml sitemap.

  12. #12
    nameeta26's Avatar
    nameeta26 is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    July 2013
    Location
    India
    Posts
    13
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Hello dears,
    I have no words to appreciate this thread for discussion ..... I'm really impressed with this thread .... I still not get my web geo targeting because I don't to how. Thanks for shearing.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •