Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    TravG's Avatar
    TravG is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    September 2008
    Posts
    2,069
    Thanks
    34
    Thanked 179 Times in 131 Posts

    Default What is this link? - Found in my Code

    I found this link in my one website where I am using a particular theme. It does not appear in other sites that do not use that theme so I am assuming the authors snuck it in there. I was going to delete it but just wanted to make sure I do not need it and/or wondering if someone could explain what exactly it is/means.

    Here is the link: <link rel="profile" href="http://gmpg.org/xfn/11"/>

    Thanks
    Live Casino USA - the best USA live online casinos. Play USA online slots and other casino games like USA online blackjack. Play See USAlegalcasinos.com to find the best USA online casino. Want to play USA online poker? Find the best poker sites at 4DeucesPoker.com.

  2. #2
    wonderpunter's Avatar
    wonderpunter is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    August 2013
    Posts
    3,415
    Blog Entries
    5
    Thanks
    427
    Thanked 2,004 Times in 1,256 Posts

    Default

    Its just a link, did deep into your site you will probably find a lot more hidden.. are you using wordpress?


  3. #3
    wettFORM.AT's Avatar
    wettFORM.AT is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    February 2013
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    459
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 62 Times in 53 Posts

    Default

    I have never seen such a link before
    WETTFORMAT
    https://wettformat.com
    Wett Tipps, Wettanbieter, Wettbonus

  4. #4
    DaftDog's Avatar
    DaftDog is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    October 2008
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    2,162
    Thanks
    697
    Thanked 779 Times in 467 Posts

    Default

    Freebie themes can hold some very shady stuff.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to DaftDog For This Useful Post:

    -Shay- (20 May 2015)

  6. #5
    Triple7 is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    January 2015
    Posts
    2,872
    Thanks
    2,043
    Thanked 2,446 Times in 1,324 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaftDog View Post
    Freebie themes can hold some very shady stuff.
    Freebie plugins too. They're free for something...

    Developping a plugin and/or theme, giving support, updating everything is not possible for free. The money must come from somewhere...

  7. #6
    universal4's Avatar
    universal4 is offline Forum Administrator
    Join Date
    July 2003
    Location
    Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. John Wayne
    Posts
    34,003
    Thanks
    4,546
    Thanked 9,298 Times in 5,982 Posts

    Default

    Travis did you get a theme or plugin from Global Multimedia Protocols Group?

    Or did any of your plugins come from XFN or their network? I see a number of tools listed at xxhttp://gmpg.org/xfn/tools

    The disgusting part is that this was likely NOT disclosed anywhere that there would be live links placed without your knowledge.

    Rick
    Universal4

  8. #7
    vardan's Avatar
    vardan is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2014
    Location
    Barcelona, Spain
    Posts
    430
    Thanks
    378
    Thanked 231 Times in 156 Posts

    Default

    I've found the same code in my wordpress site too.
    If I am not wrong, it is not dangerous link and you can remove it from the head (I've already removed it).

  9. #8
    xecutable's Avatar
    xecutable is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2011
    Location
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Posts
    1,979
    Thanks
    583
    Thanked 1,225 Times in 708 Posts

    Default

    This is directly taken from the Wordpress Forums:

    "That is telling the browser that your site supports XFN.
    And yes, it is safe to remove it, although it doesn't hurt to leave it."

  10. #9
    sweetbet's Avatar
    sweetbet is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    November 2012
    Posts
    2,824
    Blog Entries
    5
    Thanks
    898
    Thanked 1,574 Times in 1,086 Posts

    Default

    I usually don't remove them IF they are harmless links that are referencing a site where a code was taken from.

  11. #10
    TravG's Avatar
    TravG is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    September 2008
    Posts
    2,069
    Thanks
    34
    Thanked 179 Times in 131 Posts

    Default

    Ok thanks everyone. I am going to remove it and no Rick it wasn't mentioned anywhere that there would be links in the code unless I missed that statement somewhere.

    So these links would be passing authority just like a normal link would correct? That is kinda BS they slip it in there and that link has been there for years I guess, since I started to use that theme anyway.

    Thanks again!
    Live Casino USA - the best USA live online casinos. Play USA online slots and other casino games like USA online blackjack. Play See USAlegalcasinos.com to find the best USA online casino. Want to play USA online poker? Find the best poker sites at 4DeucesPoker.com.

  12. #11
    vardan's Avatar
    vardan is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2014
    Location
    Barcelona, Spain
    Posts
    430
    Thanks
    378
    Thanked 231 Times in 156 Posts

    Default

    I can't understand what is the theme creators benefit when they insert links like that or this one <html dir="ltr" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
    I am a little confused, may be these links serve for something, or it is mandatory for them to mention the sources of some kind of info or tools?
    BTW, my site's theme creators don't have "strange" links in the header of their own website.

  13. #12
    casinoaa is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    April 2015
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    13
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 10 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Don' t use free plugins if you are not sure they are safe... unistall

  14. #13
    xecutable's Avatar
    xecutable is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2011
    Location
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Posts
    1,979
    Thanks
    583
    Thanked 1,225 Times in 708 Posts

    Default

    Didn't anyone read what I wrote? Its purpose is to tell the browser it supports XFN. Any further discussion about being a malicious link or trying to take advantage of your site is a total nonsense.

  15. #14
    universal4's Avatar
    universal4 is offline Forum Administrator
    Join Date
    July 2003
    Location
    Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. John Wayne
    Posts
    34,003
    Thanks
    4,546
    Thanked 9,298 Times in 5,982 Posts

    Default

    X, if that is the case, why is it an href and not a doctype or something similar?

    It's not that I do not believe the statement, but it is confusing to form it as an href....which google sees as a followed link.

    Looking at the explanation at stackoverflow....t seems to me using that link give a vote of confidence to a specific "friends network"
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...profile-is-for

    https://wordpress.org/support/topic/...tpgmpgorgxfn11

    I have seen a few complaining that it does not validate properly, but have not verified that.

    It seems to be more of a dead almost unused concept....

    Rick
    Universal4

  16. #15
    xecutable's Avatar
    xecutable is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2011
    Location
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Posts
    1,979
    Thanks
    583
    Thanked 1,225 Times in 708 Posts

    Default

    It is a dead concept for sure It's being quoted I guess exactly as shown on 'rel profile' microformat page, in fact they have used this exact link as an example: http://microformats.org/wiki/rel-profile . Indeed it doesn't validate, but even if it did, it's still useless.

  17. #16
    universal4's Avatar
    universal4 is offline Forum Administrator
    Join Date
    July 2003
    Location
    Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. John Wayne
    Posts
    34,003
    Thanks
    4,546
    Thanked 9,298 Times in 5,982 Posts

    Default

    Thanks for the input on this, so I guess we can assume it may not be completely harmful, but removing it is not harmful either since it is one less outgoing link too.

    Rick
    Universal4

  18. #17
    TravG's Avatar
    TravG is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    September 2008
    Posts
    2,069
    Thanks
    34
    Thanked 179 Times in 131 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by universal4 View Post
    but removing it is not harmful either since it is one less outgoing link too.

    Rick
    Universal4
    That is my thinking. Regardless whether it is a good site it is linking to or not, one less link is good by me
    Live Casino USA - the best USA live online casinos. Play USA online slots and other casino games like USA online blackjack. Play See USAlegalcasinos.com to find the best USA online casino. Want to play USA online poker? Find the best poker sites at 4DeucesPoker.com.

  19. #18
    hotfreebingo's Avatar
    hotfreebingo is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    January 2015
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    59
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts

    Default

    You have to be careful with installing free plugins, they are free for a reason.
    HotFreeBingo.co.uk
    Best Bingo Deals Online
    Free Bingo Games | Free Online Bingo No Deposit

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •