Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    The Buzz's Avatar
    The Buzz is offline GPWA Gossip Hound
    Join Date
    February 2007
    Location
    Newton, MA
    Posts
    4,481
    Thanks
    455
    Thanked 2,030 Times in 1,269 Posts

    Default Google trying to fix e-mail with Gmail alternative

    Google is apparently not happy with all the features its email product can offer, and it's reportedly working on a new Gmail alternative, Android Police has learned, currently known internally as project "Bigtop."

    http://bgr.com/2014/10/22/gmail-vs-bigtop-google-email/

  2. #2
    universal4's Avatar
    universal4 is offline Forum Administrator
    Join Date
    July 2003
    Location
    Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. John Wayne
    Posts
    33,987
    Thanks
    4,540
    Thanked 9,297 Times in 5,981 Posts

    Default

    This is due in part to spam just about completely ruining the value of email.

    It also has a fair amount to do with the fact that gmail users also send spam, gmail users also get a lot of spam since the filtering system is either too weak or allows for so many false positives that a lot of additional time is spent trying to white-list or "not spam" a lot of mail.

    What we might see as spam a drug seller might not, but what we do not see as spam, such as casino offers, half the planet might.

    No matter how many pieces of mail is delivered to mail boxes, there can easily be a factor of 400% to 800% more that is filtered and not delivered. (could even be higher for email addresses that have been publicly published for years)

    I think Google is also starting to recognize the costs associated with offering email service, that to many, is nothing more than a spam filter. No matter how good their filters are, they are still paying for every single piece of incoming mail whether it ever makes it into a mailbox or not.

    In today's market, I doubt that very many companies could run an email service as large or as wide reaching as Gmail, if they did not have revenue like Google does in other areas.

    In my opinion, Gmail could not stand on it's own, since I think the costs would outweigh and revenue gmail advertising brings in.

    Rick
    Universal4

  3. #3
    TheGooner's Avatar
    TheGooner is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    4,565
    Thanks
    2,092
    Thanked 4,536 Times in 2,177 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by universal4 View Post
    This is due in part to spam just about completely ruining the value of email.
    Not just spam - but hacking and phishing attempts have also destroyed the value of an email.

    Savvy consumers simply do not trust any financial information that comes via email any more.

    Would you click on a link from an email from your bank? Does your bank even communicate via email to you?

    Email is dying as a business selling medium.

  4. #4
    universal4's Avatar
    universal4 is offline Forum Administrator
    Join Date
    July 2003
    Location
    Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. John Wayne
    Posts
    33,987
    Thanks
    4,540
    Thanked 9,297 Times in 5,981 Posts

    Default

    True Gooner, although I sorta lump the hack and phish attempts together....since I classify all that incoming crap on the mail server as spam anyway...lol

    You make a very good point and I agree that overall, the "trust factor" has gone way down because of spam/phishing/trojans/etc in emails. I think that this also hurts the overall "Net trust factor" by the average user.

    Sure they will continue to somewhat trust the bigger brands that have gained their trust in retail over the years, but I think that too is diminished a little bit more with every single news story about data breaches etc.

    Rick
    Universal4

  5. #5
    gayle's Avatar
    gayle is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    February 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    124
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 31 Times in 24 Posts

    Default

    Interesting thread. I changed over to all gmail when after firing my internet service of 8 years, I then discovered the hassles of losing an established email address. I figured that at least with gmail, you would not have to worry about losing the service. Perhaps wrong? Secondly, I have noticed that gmail spam is/was not as bad as when I decided to try Zoho mail for business. That move did not last long when spam took up twice the space that gmail did.
    Gayle Mitchell
    writer/publisher

  6. #6
    Gamer's Avatar
    Gamer is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    August 2014
    Posts
    437
    Thanks
    78
    Thanked 198 Times in 132 Posts

    Default

    I hate using e-mail marketing and never done it in my life.
    I never trust any e-mail and never read anything without subject.
    ... and I love to delete all e-mails that contain few sentences and then ask me to open the attached document to read more!
    Listen! I'm not so stupid like blondie woman from 1960s.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamer For This Useful Post:

    Renee (23 October 2014)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •